Oceania at Christmas

BenMurphy

Mornin' all

we are Oceania regulars , and we will be taking our first Christmas/New Year cruise this year.

One question:  is it considered infra dig to wear a (nice) Christmas Jumper? 

Not in the dining rooms obv.

best regards

Josie xx

As on most Oceania cruises, few people notice what others are wearing and even fewer will comment.

Of those that do, most will compliment your foresite, while others will wonder how you found space in your luggage for "day specific" items.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KS&JW said:

Last year we both wore Santa hats and my husband wore a Santa themed Aloha shirt. We were given the evil eye by several guests.  I thought it would be fun.  Others obviously disagreed. 

Made me smile just having a mental picture.  :classic_biggrin:

• Haha 1

I have been known to wear a reindeer antler headband, and sparkling Christmas tree light earrings and necklace for Christmas dinner (I had the blinkers all turned off so not to bother others at dinner)!   DH wore a Christmas themed vest one year!   I don’t remember dirty looks, but I would not have cared.   One year we were on the Panama Canal Cruise, and had just stopped in Guatemala, where they had a Holiday Bazaar filled with homemade things!   That year many folks were dressed for dinner with Holiday themes.   New Year’s Eve, they used to give headbands and noisemakers at dinner for your enjoyment.     Wear the sweater and enjoy!   

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

First of all, I’m old.  Having said that I’ve been cruising since the late 80’s on various cruise lines.  If I had to count maybe 20-25 times over the years plus numerous land trips, domestic and abroad, and I only remember 2 incidents of what another cruiser or traveler was wearing.  1) in the 90’s on a Carnival cruise a morbidly obese gentleman always wore shorts to dinner in the MDR.  I only noticed because my table was in direct eyesight of his spread-legged approach to sitting and 2) a few years ago (2012 or 13) on a Uniworld cruise, a couple stood out—she in silks and fur and lots of bling and he in a tuxedo.  Since Uniworld  is country club casual they certainly were noticeable.

So wear your fun sweaters etc. and have a good time.  Don’t be concerned with another person’s angst over your wardrobe.  Except for the elf speedo—leave that at home 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

15 hours ago, jackdeb said:

Hi Josie like Lyn I am curious about ' infra dig'  and the bells would be very annoying, during the day the sweater would be very festive and fun. Enjoy your cruise

Jack

infra dig

adjective
in·fra dig | \ ˈin-frə-ˈdig  , -(ˌ)frä-\

Definition of infra dig

: being beneath one's dignity : UNDIGNIFIEDwhile his work … was financially profitable, it was just a bit infra dig

On 9/6/2019 at 6:05 AM, LHT28 said:

not sure what "infra Dig"  would  be 

but if you want to wear  a Christmas  looking sweater   ..I do not see a problem

depending on the top

image.thumb.png.d3778e04f27062051eddb2173b340c79.png

I didn't know either.

in·fra dig

adjective

INFORMAL•BRITISH

beneath one; demeaning.

"it was somewhat infra dig for a man in his position to be found drinking"

On 9/6/2019 at 2:15 PM, Kathie859 said:

I only remember 2 incidents of what another cruiser or traveler was wearing.

Many years ago I did a little test on myself and tried to remember what anyone I worked with had worn to work the day before.  Couldn't remember a single one.

• Like 1