What happens when boarding is delayed?

Gershep

Two out of three of my NCL sailing have been delayed boarding, and once I was delayed getting off the boat until 10 or 11 pm. 

When it was late enough that we didn’t board until after dinner time, they had all the dining open for dinner. My sister and I finished our dinner right around when muster was supposed to start, but they let everyone who was eating, stay at dinner. They did not seat any one else though. 

19 hours ago, Gershep said:

Our check in on the Escape is between 4pm and 7pm. Wondering how they handle muster and if all restaurants will be open. If anyone has experienced a delay I would appreciate a response on how they handle it.

Mustering will be prior to sailaway. If it occurs during dinner all restaurants will be closed. If sailaway is late then muster will be late and dinner will be over.

On 9/6/2019 at 2:50 PM, Gershep said:

Our check in on the Escape is between 4pm and 7pm. Wondering how they handle muster and if all restaurants will be open. If anyone has experienced a delay I would appreciate a response on how they handle it.

Normally with later sailings the muster drill will be the next morning. At least that has been our experience and we have been on a few delayed or scheduled late sailings. Restaurants will be open. 

23 hours ago, zqvol said:

Mustering will be prior to sailaway. If it occurs during dinner all restaurants will be closed. If sailaway is late then muster will be late and dinner will be over.

3 hours ago, newmexicoNita said:

Normally with later sailings the muster drill will be the next morning. At least that has been our experience and we have been on a few delayed or scheduled late sailings. Restaurants will be open. 

This is why I love Cruise Critic. People speak with such authority on all matter of subjects. Yet here we have a perfect example which demonstrates that oftentimes people really have no idea what they're talking about, and just post for the sake of posting.

3 hours ago, newmexicoNita said:

No,  effective January 1, 2015 SOLAS was amended to require the muster drill to be held prior to or immediately upon departure. 

From the International Maritime Organization: http://www.imo.org/en/MediaCentre/PressBriefings/Pages/45-SOLAS-eif-.aspx#.XXUUFS5Kjcs

New requirements for musters of newly embarked passengers prior to or immediately upon departure come into force on 1 January 2015.  

Further SOLAS amendments entering into force address enclosed-space entry and rescue drills and the code for recognized organizations. 

Passenger muster 
The amended regulation III/19 in the International Convention for the Safety of Life at Sea was adopted in 2013 in the wake of the Costa Concordia incident, to ensure that passengers undergo safety drills, including mustering at the lifeboat stations, before the ship departs or immediately on departure.  

Previously, the requirement was for the muster of passengers to take place within 24 hours of their embarkation.  

6 hours ago, njhorseman said:

No,  effective January 1, 2015 SOLAS was amended to require the muster drill to be held prior to or immediately upon departure. 

From the International Maritime Organization: http://www.imo.org/en/MediaCentre/PressBriefings/Pages/45-SOLAS-eif-.aspx#.XXUUFS5Kjcs

New requirements for musters of newly embarked passengers prior to or immediately upon departure come into force on 1 January 2015.  

Further SOLAS amendments entering into force address enclosed-space entry and rescue drills and the code for recognized organizations. 

Passenger muster 
The amended regulation III/19 in the International Convention for the Safety of Life at Sea was adopted in 2013 in the wake of the Costa Concordia incident, to ensure that passengers undergo safety drills, including mustering at the lifeboat stations, before the ship departs or immediately on departure.  

Previously, the requirement was for the muster of passengers to take place within 24 hours of their embarkation.  

sorry we were just on the Dawn in Feb and we did have the drill the next morning. Always they are supposed to be held the day of sailing but this isn't the case every time.  But there may be exceptions I guess to all rules and regulations.  Or maybe I just dreamed it was the next morning. 😱,

2 hours ago, newmexicoNita said:

sorry we were just on the Dawn in Feb and we did have the drill the next morning. Always they are supposed to be held the day of sailing but this isn't the case every time.  But there may be exceptions I guess to all rules and regulations.  Or maybe I just dreamed it was the next morning. 😱,

I can't say that I've looked under every rock, but I've done a fairly extensive internet search and haven't been able to find a single mention of an exception to the SOLAS requirement I've cited above. It was a change made in response to the Costa Concordia tragedy. Prior to this change to the SOLAS regulation allowed the drill to be held within 24 hours of departure.

It wouldn't surprise me if someone made a conscious decision to violate the regulation...some corporations aren't  above violating the law if doing so is more convenient that following the letter of the law.

11 hours ago, GUT2407 said:

I think the only time of heard of it being next morning, since Concordia,  was when the ship remained at the dock overnight first night.

Which clearly is permissible under SOLAS rules since the ship obviously hasn't departed until it actually leaves the dock.

• Like 1

When the Breakway returned late last year and boarding was from 11pm to 2am, incredibly, the muster drill was at 2:30am and we sailed at 6am.  Only 2/3 of the passengers showed up.  I heard they were trying to chase all the now shows down for a make-up but gave up after a while.

18 hours ago, PelicanBill said:

When the Breakway returned late last year and boarding was from 11pm to 2am, incredibly, the muster drill was at 2:30am and we sailed at 6am.  Only 2/3 of the passengers showed up.  I heard they were trying to chase all the now shows down for a make-up but gave up after a while.

wow, i would have been one of those they would have to chase down. Now i am thinking I was wrong when I said our drill on the Dawn a few months ago was the next morning. I guess it must have been the day of boarding.