can you bring a coffeemaker onboard?

sofiefleurie

6 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

That may be the case for your toilet at home, where the sanitary piping increases in size as it goes down your house and out to the sewer.  However, coffee grounds can play hell with a vacuum toilet system, I've had to explain to guests why 15 cabins are without toilets because my guys are roto-rooting out a clog that contains coffee grounds that have dropped out of "solution" and built up in the horizontal (not sloped like land systems) piping.  Plus, if the grounds make it to the engine room, there is a vacuum pump, several valves, and a strainer screen that can plug up from accumulation of coffee grounds.  There is a reason that there is a sign saying not to put anything down the toilet other than human waste.

Utter hooey.

I just bought a great cold brew coffee "maker" since cold brew is my favorite. All you do is fill the inner filter with some coffee grounds, add water to the carafe and refrigerate for 12-24 hrs! It can be consumed with or without milk. Yum!!  I'm planning to take both caffeinated and decaffeinated coffee grounds. It stays good in the fridge for 2 weeks.

5 minutes ago, MotownVoice said:

I'll reveal my credentials, if any  as soon as all you sky-is-falling blow hards do.

It's there if you care to put in an ounce of effort.  Click on chengkp75's screen name and his profile will pop up.  Under "Interests" you will see the following: "Former cruise ship Chief Engineer".  (See how the "ch" in the screen name stands for "chief" and the "eng" in the screen name stands for "engineer?"  Clever, right?)  So there you have it.  chengkp75 has revealed his credentials, so now it's your turn!

40 minutes ago, JimmyVWine said:

It's there if you care to put in an ounce of effort.  Click on chengkp75's screen name and his profile will pop up.  Under "Interests" you will see the following: "Former cruise ship Chief Engineer".  (See how the "ch" in the screen name stands for "chief" and the "eng" in the screen name stands for "engineer?"  Clever, right?)  So there you have it.  chengkp75 has revealed his credentials, so now it's your turn!

I have none.  And it's still complete alarmist babble.

39 minutes ago, JimmyVWine said:

And kp75 means King's Point class of 1975. He's a graduate of the Merchant Marine Academy as well. IIRC, he's still serving (or recently was) on ships, just not currently a cruise ship.

2 minutes ago, beg3yrs said:

And kp75 means King's Point class of 1975. He's a graduate of the Merchant Marine Academy as well. IIRC, he's still serving (or recently was) on ships, just not currently a cruise ship.

I'm surrounded by know it all engineers in my line of work.  I know what exaggerators they can be.  They make my eyes roll so far back I get a headache.

Edited by MotownVoice
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, MotownVoice said:

I'm surrounded by know it all engineers in my line of work.  I know what exaggerators they can be.  They make my eyes roll so far back I get a headache.

And I have spent over 30 years digging stuff out of vacuum toilet systems from folks like you who "know better".  Heck, urine forms scale inside the vacuum pipes, restricting them, how often do they put acid down drain lines on land to remove urine scale?  If that can build up to block pipes, what do you think coffee grounds will do.  I'm a practical engineer, I get my hands dirty repairing things, like unclogging toilets for inconsiderate passengers.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Alaskanb said:

And this is greatly appreciated by the cabin stewards who take the garbage from all the cabins, and have to hand sort it when it gets to the garbage room.  Sticking your hand into wet coffee grounds is not pleasant.

3 hours ago, MotownVoice said:

I'll reveal my credentials, if any  as soon as all you sky-is-falling blow hards do.

Ok 20 years in the US Navy with 6 years in board several ships. Last assignment on the ship was the Electrical/electronics safety CPO.

Time to put up.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MotownVoice said:

I have none.  And it's still complete alarmist babble.

Why will that not surprise anyone. The uniformed trying to show the informed and experienced that they are wrong.  And failing miserably.

Now all can see who creates some of the problems with the Engineering Plants on cruise ships.

Edited by Potstech
  • Like 1

It was not my intention to open up such a can of worms.  Thank you to those with good suggestions.  To respond as to why on earth anyone would want "in room coffee" with "so many venues":  my original post, and the main reason for my question (as previously mentioned) is that we are EARLY RISERS.  Please tell me which of the many venues serve freshly brewed coffee or espresso drinks at 4:30 or 5:00 am?  We live on the east coast of the US.  When sailing west, we tend to walk up much earlier than at home.  We enjoy coffee in our cabin. There will be no International Cafe on our next cruise and it is my understanding that options will be limited.  We prefer not to use room service at such an early hour.  Besides, we often find ships' coffee weaker than we like.  Not complaining, just stating our preferences.  Had we been allowed to have a coffeemaker in our cabin, we would have brought strong coffee from home.  Not a big deal.  Just trying to gather information.  

2 minutes ago, sofiefleurie said:

It was not my intention to open up such a can of worms...

I've discovered almost ANY topic is a can of worms and that a simple request for information can quickly be turned into a Spanish Inquisition-like investigation of why you want such information or how stupid you are in requesting it in the first place.

Spanish Inquisition.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

56 minutes ago, Potstech said:

As you can see your choices are limited. But then you will be in an entirely different environment than you have at home.  It does come with some changes and adjustments.  Hopefully you will find a solution and enjoy your cruise

We always do. One of the reasons we enjoy traveling so much is that it is an entirely different environment than we have at home! After 25 plus cruises around the world and visiting all 50 states, I understand that travel comes with changes and adjustments.  I was just gathering information.  But, thank you.