can you bring a coffeemaker onboard?

sofiefleurie

1 hour ago, triple7tahoe said:

I have to be the one opposing voice. On all of our cruises (over100) with Princess we have taken a THERMOSTATICALLY controlled kettle and had not had it confiscated once. That is as recently as this year (March/April) on the Majestic. We have  had our power strips taken (and returned at end of cruise). It is not hidden and sits on the shelf next to the refrigerator at all times. We take a French Press or use Starbucks VIA. Just our experience!

This is what the Princess FAQs say about coffee makers in the list of prohibited items.  Have you ever read it.  Do you care?

"Hookah and Water Hookah Pipes, candles and incense, strike-anywhere matches, clothing irons, heating pads, hot plates, kettles, coffee makers, toasters and other electronic cooking appliances."  

DON

Edited by donaldsc

2 hours ago, triple7tahoe said:

I have to be the one opposing voice. On all of our cruises (over100) with Princess we have taken a THERMOSTATICALLY controlled kettle and had not had it confiscated once. That is as recently as this year (March/April) on the Majestic. We have  had our power strips taken (and returned at end of cruise). It is not hidden and sits on the shelf next to the refrigerator at all times. We take a French Press or use Starbucks VIA. Just our experience!

As I said, the "thermostatic" control (which is the "auto on/off") is the device that most often fails on these coffee makers and tea kettles, and which then causes a fire because folks are relying on this device to keep them safe.  Thinking that a cabin steward who depends on the good will of the passengers will be a fair arbiter of what is a safety concern on the ship is false logic.  Heck, we take the same items from crew cabins, and they have been specifically warned about this when they sign on.

• Like 4

18 hours ago, JimmyVWine said:

My wife brings her "coffee maker" on every cruise.  It is call her husband😋  Of course, on a cruise, "making coffee" means getting up, getting dressed and going down to the IC. 

That is good! Made my morning!  My husband is also my "coffee maker".

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Donald said:

Next, when I inform them that they owe the cruise line $200,000 for repairs to the cabin, their responses are priceless - but cannot be repeated here.

200K? Even if the entire room was burned down and all pipes melted, isn't that a lot to fix a cabin that is basically a steel box with some nice furniture? You aren't secretly hoping people report some weird buzzing sounds coming from their coffee machine, leading to a clearly visible spot on the table, to boost on board spending are you? :classic_biggrin:

On 9/9/2019 at 3:46 PM, JimmyVWine said:

My wife brings her "coffee maker" on every cruise.  It is call her husband😋  Of course, on a cruise, "making coffee" means getting up, getting dressed and going down to the IC. 

The answer to the original question is No.  JimmyVWine has the best answer to this question. I love it 😁😁.

ADF32CA7-5F3F-40DD-B5A6-41A02087DBFE.jpeg

22 hours ago, donaldsc said:

This is what the Princess FAQs say about coffee makers in the list of prohibited items.  Have you ever read it.  Do you care?

"Hookah and Water Hookah Pipes, candles and incense, strike-anywhere matches, clothing irons, heating pads, hot plates, kettles, coffee makers, toasters and other electronic cooking appliances."  

DON

Yes I care-I have had the ships safety officer in my cabin on at least two occasions and he has told that my pot is safe to use. As a retired Navy man I am fully aware of the dangers of fire aboard and would not even think about doing anything to endanger the rest of the passengers.

20 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

As I said, the "thermostatic" control (which is the "auto on/off") is the device that most often fails on these coffee makers and tea kettles, and which then causes a fire because folks are relying on this device to keep them safe.  Thinking that a cabin steward who depends on the good will of the passengers will be a fair arbiter of what is a safety concern on the ship is false logic.  Heck, we take the same items from crew cabins, and they have been specifically warned about this when they sign on.

20 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

Since our kettle is identical to the ones used on P&O UK and on the Princess ships that sail out of Orient-Think Majestic Princess-I would hope that the ships do not put their own passengers at risk.

i'm so confused, do you travel to port or live local?  i'm just trying to figure out the logistics of why you would bring your own coffee maker when there is so many venues to acquire coffee on ship.  i do live local to my port, and probably pack in a way other people find impractical, but i'm really struggling to understand the need for in room coffee.

54 minutes ago, triple7tahoe said:

Since our kettle is identical to the ones used on P&O UK and on the Princess ships that sail out of Orient-Think Majestic Princess-I would hope that the ships do not put their own passengers at risk.

Thank god it  is not up to the passenger.  🙄

58 minutes ago, triple7tahoe said:

Yes I care-I have had the ships safety officer in my cabin on at least two occasions and he has told that my pot is safe to use. As a retired Navy man I am fully aware of the dangers of fire aboard and would not even think about doing anything to endanger the rest of the passengers.

Still no excuse.  

Are you sure they are the exact same model or perhaps they are a sub-model constructed with wiring that is less likely to have problems from the vibration on ships?

When was the last time you opened your kettle and inspected the guts of it for deteriorated wiring, thermostats and heating elements?  The ones supplied by the cruise lines, as I've said, are inspected and tested on a regular basis.

• Like 4

On 9/9/2019 at 4:57 PM, chengkp75 said:

These switches are the most common cause of failure and fires around, so when folks say "but it has an auto switch", I just shake my head.

That's why we began unplugging our pot at home a few years ago when on vacation. 

8 hours ago, triple7tahoe said:

I don't see "identical" as really being the issue.  The issue is the rule.  I have an identical bottle of Bombay Sapphire Gin at home that I could bring on board.  How or why could Princess possibly care?  It's the exact same gin that they can sell me at the bar or by the bottle and surely no one is going to get sick from my gin since they carry the same brand themselves.   But I don't bring it on board.  I am not allowed to bring it on board.  Not because of safety concerns, but because Princess makes the  rules and I agree to the passenger contract.  Besides, selling gin is a profit center for the ship, and my cruise fare is set the way it is with the expectation that additional revenue will be generated through the sale of alcohol.  If I bring on my own gin instead of buying theirs, I upset that balance.  This all makes sense when we talk about alcohol, but the exact same logic applies to brewed coffee.  They want you to buy it. And most importantly, they don't want the risk of dealing with 1,500 old, untested, unproven electrical machines that are known to fail.  How can the cruise line possibly know if a passenger's machine was subject to a recall; failed in the past; was bought at a tag sale; was picked up on Ebay; has been "repaired" by an amateur; or is fit as a fiddle?  The only thing they can go by is the passenger's word that their machine is sound.  And the cruise line should trust that why?     

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, JimmyVWine said:

I don't see "identical" as really being the issue.  The issue is the rule.  I have an identical bottle of Bombay Sapphire Gin at home that I could bring on board.  How or why could Princess possibly care?  It's the exact same gin that they can sell me at the bar or by the bottle and surely no one is going to get sick from my gin since they carry the same brand themselves.   But I don't bring it on board.  I am not allowed to bring it on board.  Not because of safety concerns, but because Princess makes the  rules and I agree to the passenger contract.  Besides, selling gin is a profit center for the ship, and my cruise fare is set the way it is with the expectation that additional revenue will be generated through the sale of alcohol.  If I bring on my own gin instead of buying theirs, I upset that balance.  This all makes sense when we talk about alcohol, but the exact same logic applies to brewed coffee.  They want you to buy it. And most importantly, they don't want the risk of dealing with 1,500 old, untested, unproven electrical machines that are known to fail.  How can the cruise line possibly know if a passenger's machine was subject to a recall; failed in the past; was bought at a tag sale; was picked up on Ebay; has been "repaired" by an amateur; or is fit as a fiddle?  The only thing they can go by is the passenger's word that their machine is sound.  And the cruise line should trust that why?     

There's a big difference between a fire safety related item & bringing on a bottle of gin. My coffee pot might endanger others lives but my own liquor doesn't affect others. 

4 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

There's a big difference between a fire safety related item & bringing on a bottle of gin. My coffee pot might endanger others lives but my own liquor doesn't affect others. 

Of course there is. And I made that point.  But there are other points to consider, and those include that the ship makes the rules and we are supposed to follow them, even when they have nothing to do with safety; and that the cruise line cares about revenue, and sometimes revenue drives the rule-making.  Prioritizing all of these issues puts safety at the top, clearly. But safety does not erase the fact that other factors are in play. That's all I'm saying.

Edited by JimmyVWine

Just now, JimmyVWine said:

Of course there is. And I made that point.  But there are other points to consider, and those include that the ship makes the rules and we are supposed to follow them or not, even when they have nothing to do with safety; and that the cruise line cares about revenue, and sometimes revenue drives the rule-making.  Prioritizing all of these issues puts safety at the top, clearly. But safety does not erase the fact that other factors are in play. That's all I'm saying.

We all follow which rules we choose to abide by. 

• Haha 1

Take a cafetiere or "french press" with you.  There is often a bean grind service in the cafeteria.  Purchase locally roasted beans before you leave, and keep them whole, only grind them as you use them.

Use two tablespoons grounds for every 10 ounce mug of coffee.  Most cafetieres like the one pictured below will be labeled as a "12 cup french press" but they'll actually only produce maybe 4 or 5 good mugs full.

Either fill the press in the cafeteria with hot water, or ask for hot water to be delivered to your state room.

Allow the grounds to steep for 2 or 3 minutes, then press the plunger to clear the grounds.

Best coffee ever.  Not a single plug necessary.

https://www.amazon.com/french-press/s?k=french+press

cafetiere.jpg

27 minutes ago, MotownVoice said:

Take a cafetiere or "french press" with you.  There is often a bean grind service in the cafeteria.  Purchase locally roasted beans before you leave, and keep them whole, only grind them as you use them.

Use two tablespoons grounds for every 10 ounce mug of coffee.  Most cafetieres like the one pictured below will be labeled as a "12 cup french press" but they'll actually only produce maybe 4 or 5 good mugs full.

Either fill the press in the cafeteria with hot water, or ask for hot water to be delivered to your state room.

Allow the grounds to steep for 2 or 3 minutes, then press the plunger to clear the grounds.

Best coffee ever.  Not a single plug necessary.

https://www.amazon.com/french-press/s?k=french+press

cafetiere.jpg

Just make sure you do not put the used grinds down the sink or toilet. 

5 minutes ago, MotownVoice said:

Down the toilet would be just fine.  There is absolutely nothing about wet grounds that are any more hazardous to commode plumbing than a good five minute sit with a magazine.

That may be the case for your toilet at home, where the sanitary piping increases in size as it goes down your house and out to the sewer.  However, coffee grounds can play hell with a vacuum toilet system, I've had to explain to guests why 15 cabins are without toilets because my guys are roto-rooting out a clog that contains coffee grounds that have dropped out of "solution" and built up in the horizontal (not sloped like land systems) piping.  Plus, if the grounds make it to the engine room, there is a vacuum pump, several valves, and a strainer screen that can plug up from accumulation of coffee grounds.  There is a reason that there is a sign saying not to put anything down the toilet other than human waste.

• Like 2