Barrel Chairs and Tables on Grand Princess

mek

On 9/11/2019 at 3:46 PM, MissP22 said:

Just find a location other than your cabin to sit. There are loads of places that offer comfortable chairs throughout the ships.

but then you can have your in cabin cocktail easily... there are many reasons for enjoying ones cabin. LOL 

On 9/12/2019 at 2:33 AM, MissP22 said:

Well since the chairs are gone I guess you've got as decision to make.

1. Bring you own.

2. Find a quiet location on the ship that has a chair.

Great idea.....maybe Princess will start allowing passengers to camp in public areas and they can create another whole stream of revenue because paying for a cabin that comfortably accommodates two people is so yesterday and over-rated!!!

• 3 weeks later...

I read this thread with interest, and then went to look at the pictures for a balcony cabin for a variety of ships.  They are still showing a second/barrel chair in the photographs that I saw.  

It does seem reasonable that people should expect to have two chairs in a cabin for two people.   Your typical hotel room will have an office-type chair at a desk, and then a more comfortable chair to sit in for relaxation.   

If enough passengers request the second chair, and also provide feedback to Princess that the second chair is missed, then hopefully this decision would be reconsidered.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Smokeyham said:

If enough passengers request the second chair, and also provide feedback to Princess that the second chair is missed, then hopefully this decision would be reconsidered.

That worked really well when Princess took away Happy Hour/BOGO ... just sayin the company mind likely settled on the chair issue

I plan on bringing my own folding camp chair so that I'll have someplace comfortable to sit in my standard balcony cabin. It comes with a handy carrying case so that I can take it to the Melanoma Deck and reserve my spot for the day there. Then I can take it to the theater in the evening and stake out a good location at the back.

I've already located a retailer near the port and at $12, I'll just ask the room steward to hang onto it for the next poor passenger who may be shocked to see that the only seating provided by Princess is a desk chair.

0fdf3510-33b5-4c86-b49b-5b770998b19c_1.3388d20494c6c19fb9c4b40dbeb3c2ef.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 10/6/2019 at 8:20 AM, MissP22 said:

Just bring it with you.

Why not sit in your room on a better chair, enjoy your cocktail while reading or watching a movie and then just go to bed when done.  Dressed in a way that makes you comfortable. Some dress may not be suitable for other areas of the ship.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Roatanfans said:

2 hours ago, SargassoPirate said:

I plan on bringing my own folding camp chair so that I'll have someplace comfortable to sit in my standard balcony cabin.

Sad when you step back and think that we our considering bringing our own camp chairs to what is sold as an elegant and luxurious experience.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Smokeyham said:

Sad when you step back and think that we our considering bringing our own camp chairs to what is sold as an elegant and luxurious experience.

I agree, but at least through the boards here I was able to learn about Princess removing the barrel chairs from the standard balcony rooms before we got on the ship and plan accordingly.

I can't cancel the cruise since we are traveling with a group of friends and family, but our cruise schedule after this does not include Princess.  There are plenty of other cruise lines to choose from who will welcome our cruise dollars by providing basic comforts in our cabin.

Fool me once, shame on you.  Fool me twice, shame on me.

• Like 2

And just to add to my earlier post about plenty of other cruise lines who will welcome our cruise dollars, just today I booked a world cruise.  Been saving up for it as it is not an inexpensive undertaking.  I scratched Princess off the list for consideration based solely on their bone-headed move to provide only a desk chair in a standard balcony.  

I'm sure they won't miss me, but it's my money and my choice based on what is offered.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, pms4104 said:

That worked really well when Princess took away Happy Hour/BOGO ... just sayin the company mind likely settled on the chair issue

I think a Happy Hour issue and the chair issue are two completely different things. Giving away free things like cocktails is very different from basic amenities.

I would make known to Princess at the highest levels, to Carnival Corp and to your travel agent your unhappiness.

• Like 1

On 10/25/2019 at 9:39 AM, scottca075 said:

I would make known to Princess at the highest levels, to Carnival Corp and to your travel agent your unhappiness.

I agree that it is important to express your displeasure with the removal of the chairs to the company. If nobody complains the decision-makers will assume we don't care. When you are sent that post-cruise survey, let them know how you feel about it! It is not unreasonable for their customers to expect a comfortable place to sit in their cabin. The regular balcony cabins on all their ships are smaller than on almost every other major cruise line--even the "cheap" ones like Carnival, Norwegian, and RCL, which have a sofa in the cabins. We are elite with Princess and enjoy cruising with them, but are definitely not happy with this decision. Our next 2 Princess cruises are out of Australia (14 days and 29 days) so taking our own chair is not an option. We will ask our cabin steward if getting a chair is possible and hope for the best.

• Like 1

On 10/25/2019 at 8:39 AM, scottca075 said:

I think a Happy Hour issue and the chair issue are two completely different things. Giving away free things like cocktails is very different from basic amenities.

Yes, two completely different issues ... my point being that corporate peeps make all sorts of policies based on who knows what with little thought as to how pax will react

• Like 1

15 hours ago, 40yearcruiser said:

I agree that it is important to express your displeasure with the removal of the chairs to the company. If nobody complains the decision-makers will assume we don't care. When you are sent that post-cruise survey, let them know how you feel about it! It is not unreasonable for their customers to expect a comfortable place to sit in their cabin. The regular balcony cabins on all their ships are smaller than on almost every other major cruise line--even the "cheap" ones like Carnival, Norwegian, and RCL, which have a sofa in the cabins. We are elite with Princess and enjoy cruising with them, but are definitely not happy with this decision. Our next 2 Princess cruises are out of Australia (14 days and 29 days) so taking our own chair is not an option. We will ask our cabin steward if getting a chair is possible and hope for the best.

If you have time in Sydney and don't want to take a chance on there being a chair available after you are already on board, try Mitchells Adventure store at 81 York Street in the Sydney CBD.  They have a folding camp chair called the OZTrail for around $15.00 US.

Send me a private message for more info if you want. 

2 minutes ago, SargassoPirate said:

If they don't hear about those complaints, they will think "Oh, removing the barrel chairs went well.  What's next on the things to cut list"?

What is next?  The bed.  Bring your own sleeping bag.  It is much safer, you can't fall off the bag in rough seas, like falling off a bed,!!🛏️

16 minutes ago, SargassoPirate said:

I agree.  However, telling onboard management staff at every opportunity is the right way to go.  When the suits sit around and ask the underlings how everything is going, the suits need to hear from all corners

What makes you think "the suits" (or pantsuit, as the case may be) ask the shipboard personnel for feedback?

I've placed phone calls to Carnival HQ and Princess HQ and asked for the executives by name, been directed to their "escalation" assistants and given my feedback. I don't find the surveys to be especially effective.

I think Instagram feedback will be my next tact on the Princess Instagram pages.

• Like 1

It was pointed out to me that the number of people on CruiseCritic make up a relatively small percentage of the total number of cruisers.   So, with an issue like this, in addition to lodging our own complaints with Princess, we also need to get other cruisers to voice their support for bringing back a second chair.  Perhaps just a comment to other cruisers when you meet them suggesting they provide that feedback would help.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, scottca075 said:

What makes you think "the suits" (or pantsuit, as the case may be) ask the shipboard personnel for feedback?

Because they would be fools if they didn't.  Any organization that doesn't seek bottom up feedback is doomed to mediocrity at best, probably failure.

• Like 2

It is really a shame that this chair thing happened.  I was really a very happy Princess cruiser.  Every one who I have come into contact with, from the crew, staff, shore side workers, phone reps, the people who I spoke to from MS. Jan's office, have all been wonderful.  I enjoyed the ships, some things were not perfect, but all ways corrected.

But unfortunately, the "chair thing" has made me go else where when booking a cruise.

I have my new method for cruise shopping now, and our next cruise after the one on 10/31 is on HAL.

We will see what happens.  I like HAL and have three stars with them.   

• Like 2