Help...IPad Purchase on Reflection? OBC

wendycook22

Hi Everyone, 

We wil lbe sailing at the end of October on the Reflection .  We have a significant amountof OBC and was wondeirng if iPad's are still offfered for purcahse on the ship?/  We may be in the market for a new IPad in the next little while and thought why not try to use some OBc to apply towards our purcahse.  Can anyone comfirm if they are still available for purcahse.  The Pros and cons of purchasing on the ship.  I will be out of Lisbon to Barcelona, would I have to worry about VAT?  

Thanks in advance for any insight.  I tried to do a search but found only dated posts.  TIA

31 minutes ago, Pushkin said:

I was on the Eclipse in April and purchase an ipad with some of my OBC.  The only advantage I can think of is if you have OBC to use up and you do not have to pay US sales tax.

We did the same on our last Edge Cruise. The advantage is that we had internet so we could use it during the trip!

For the one we bough, the prices were the same than on land, minus the taxes. So it was actually a deal.

If you get any OBC from your travel agent, chances are very good that you can redeem it for cash on the last full day of you cruise. Lots of times that’s a better option than buying something you din’t really need. Plus, the cost of an iPad will not always be cheaper than what you would pay at home.

To see if you have any refundable OBC, go to your online folio on your cabin’s TV.  Any OBC that you receive from Celebrity, which is always non-refundable, will be lsted as one line item and will be identified with a code. If you have gotten any OBC from your travel agent or elsewhere that is refundable, that amount will also be listed as a separate line item, but the code used to identify it will have a “-R” at the end of the identifying code. For years, I have always tried to use up all of my OBC buying things just to use up my OBC.

Once I found out that some OBC might be refundable, rather than buying unneeded things, I started going to Guest Services to get my refundable OBC in cash. You simply go to Guest Services on the last day and tell the agent that you would like your refundable OBC in cash. On our last cruise in May (Seward to Vancouver on Millennium), I was given $895, which was what my TA gave us (10% of our cruise cost) as an OBC. 

Edited by SteveGT3
  • Thanks 1

As with anything, it's important to know what you're buying. There was a new, 7th generation iPad launched this week, that also comes with one year of Apple TV+ included. The new model has a 10.2" screen as opposed to the 9.7" one one the older model.

I mention this because they are both the same price currently, but the 6th gen should be discounted, but that may not be the case on the ship. Same goes for the new Series 5 Apple Watch.

Thanks everyone for pointing out some things to consider.  A lot of our OBC is from our agent, and would most likely be refundable (as it has been in the past).  We are in the market for a new IPad as ours is over 7 years old, and can no longer update, but surprisingly still works.  I will have to print out some infromation to bring with me and ensure the price is on point, and verify the model. 

Thanks again for the tips and suggestions.    

On 9/12/2019 at 9:40 AM, Pushkin said:

I was on the Eclipse in April and purchase an ipad with some of my OBC.  The only advantage I can think of is if you have OBC to use up and you do not have to pay US sales tax.

She wouldn't have to pay US sales tax because she's Canadian, however the tax in Canada is really high, I think around 17 percent, so there is that.  We did buy a new IPAD last month at Costco for 329.00. 

We bought one on Millennium in July.  It wasn't the latest model, but had oodles of memory for downloading lots of movies.  Yes, you can get a cheaper ipad model at Costco, but you have to do your homework ahead of time.  It was worth it for us because we had so much Celebrity OBC to spend.  🍷

On 9/15/2019 at 3:40 AM, cruisestitch said:

On reflection right now, September 2019, they have one model of the iPad for sale. It is an iPad 6 for $429.

( They also have two models of MacBook for sale)

Thank you so much for reporting this back to me.  Greatly apprecaite it! 

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/12/2019 at 8:22 PM, wendycook22 said:

Thanks. I did read the thread over.  I beleive we are exmpt from VAT as we depart from Lisbon, and stop at Gibralatr, which from my understanding from this post eliminates the VAT.  

If you visit Gibraltar there won’t be any VAT. That’s why many cruise itineraries visit the Rock.

We bought an iPad Pro in June 2018 for my husband.

The advantage for anyone from UK is:

a) no VAT

b) exchange rate as purchases are priced in $US.

I bought an iPad mini in 2015 and the exchange rate was so favourable that I was able to buy 128GB, as I was just under my customs allowance of £390. Please be aware that if you exceed this, you are charged the full VAT.

You need not go to Guest Relations to get your refundable OBC back.  It will be refunded to the credit card you registered with Celebrity.  No reason to stand in that horrendous line the last day.

As others have said, they will not always have the latest models.  And I recommend going early in the cruise.  I got an iPad Pro one year.

3 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

An Apple Watch doesn't require a service provider.

I didn't know that .... ooops!

I've never seen an Apple watch or Iphone onboard.  

The only Apple products I've seen onboard are iPads, Macs and Apple pencils.  

There might be other products but probably not Apple watches. 

9 minutes ago, Cruise Raider said:

I didn't know that .... ooops!

I've never seen an Apple watch or Iphone onboard.  

The only Apple products I've seen onboard are iPads, Macs and Apple pencils.  

There might be other products but probably not Apple watches. 

Like iPads, the Watch has both cellular and non-cellular versions. I've no idea why Celebrity might sell one but not the other.  ¯\_()_/¯