Is it just me?

MISTER 67

On 1/18/2020 at 1:44 PM, TeaBag said:

Thank you Deb.  It's odd they would not make refillable bottles.  Those pen size ones look ideal for keeping in your pocket etc.

We have two different size bottles and refill the smaller one from the larger by simply unscrewing the top.  We have not had the pen size in a few years but recall the top would also unscrew and we could refill.  Not sure if they have since changed the design.

Hank

On 9/17/2019 at 11:55 AM, oceansandseas said:

Hlitner.....You mentioned that you take Cipro and Zithromax on your cruise.  I live in Canada and Canadians can not buy antibiotics without a prescription from your doctor.  My doctor will not prescribe for me to take on cruises. I have developed bronchitis on cruises.

Are antibiotics available to buy over the counter in the US. Maybe I could pick some up on a Caribbean cruise out of Florida.

No, we need scrips just like in your country.  We get our antibiotics by asking our physician for a scrip or we can simply buy them in Mexico where we live part of the year.

Hank

On 9/17/2019 at 11:55 AM, oceansandseas said:

Hlitner.....You mentioned that you take Cipro and Zithromax on your cruise.  I live in Canada and Canadians can not buy antibiotics without a prescription from your doctor.  My doctor will not prescribe for me to take on cruises. I have developed bronchitis on cruises.

Are antibiotics available to buy over the counter in the US. Maybe I could pick some up on a Caribbean cruise out of Florida.

No, we need scrips just like in your country.  We get our antibiotics by asking our physician for a scrip or we can simply buy them in Mexico where we live part of the year.

Hank

On 1/17/2020 at 11:27 PM, jjsnonna said:

The overuse of antibiotics can have deadly consequences.  

Indeed. But there is no harm in a physician who prescribes “ just in case” foreign travel meds to a well known patient, with careful instructions when/how they should be used. I have carried the same medication on foreign trips for six years, and only used it during one trip, after conferring with my physician by phone. It’s a mistake to assume that experienced travelers (and their experienced family physicians) are fools.

Edited by Silkroad
  • Like 1

I really think that it depends on the passengers you are traveling with.   I have sailed Silhouette and never been sick during or after the cruise.    I have been on other ships including Edge where there were numerous people caching and coughing on the ship and excursions.   Yup I came down with an upper respiratory infection.   

59 minutes ago, Prost Seattle said:

Well now you folks are making me nervous.  I have lymphoma, and I’ll have my chemo 2 days before I get on the ship.  It looks like a lot of hand sanitizer and perhaps a mask for me. 

Good luck. Honestly cruise ships, no matter how clean they keep them, mean you are in close contact with a lot of people. And yes, some of them will board sick - whether it is something covered in the pre-cruise self reporting that some lines do that they lie about, something not covered, or even something they are incubating without knowing it - and can spread it.

If I were immune compromised I honestly would probably skip cruising. Especially during cold and flu season.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Prost Seattle said:

Well now you folks are making me nervous.  I have lymphoma, and I’ll have my chemo 2 days before I get on the ship.  It looks like a lot of hand sanitizer and perhaps a mask for me. 

I'm assuming your oncologist has cleared you for the cruise? Have they given you any advice on what to avoid? 

You might want to avoid the buffet as much as possible.

• Like 1