Back from The Conquest / First Carnival Cruise since 2000.

Negril60

First I want to thank everyone on here that has given me advice and answered my questions. 

We had FTTF and arrived at the port around 10:50. We did the security, walked upstairs and  straight to boarding. 

I haven’t sailed with Carnival since 2000 on the Truimph. I was prepared for the  shiny ship. I was wrong . The Conquest was a very nice ship. The perfect size. The crew was great. I felt like they were overworked at times. One person manning the pizza place or a bar. We actually witnessed a passenger berating a employee at the Deli one evening.He was working alone and yes there was a line. She flashed her Platinum  badge at him and proceeded to tell him she was Platinum. He called his supervisor and she continued with the same story. I hope it was worth it for a grilled cheese. I walked up and thanked him for cooking my dinner. This was the only thing all week I didn’t like. Food wasn’t as good as my last Princess Cruise . But to be fair I haven’t sailed them in 6 years so I would say their food probably isn’t as good. The entertainment on this ship was the best I’ve ever seen. Matt was a great CD. We loved the more laid back feeling. We have a Alaska Cruise booked next summer on Princess. We are seriously thinking of canceling and booking with Carnival for Alaska. Not exactly the iteniary we wanted but we really liked Carnival.

Debarkation was amazing. We walked directly off the ship at 7:00. 

1 hour ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

Glad to hear you had a good cruise. Drives me crazy when people think they are entitled because of their VIFP level, especially Platinums, who are literally a dime a dozen these days (I fall into that category so I am not looking down on Platinums, just stating a fact). 

Could not agree more, we are also Platinum and continue to be amazed at the P and D party. I am glad you had a good trip, we have been on the Conquest twice loved it, and would book again. Have a great day.

Edited by MEUB1112
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

Glad to hear you had a good cruise. Drives me crazy when people think they are entitled because of their VIFP level, especially Platinums, who are literally a dime a dozen these days (I fall into that category so I am not looking down on Platinums, just stating a fact). 

Carnival entices people to care about the VIFP program by projecting the idea of entitlement. Otherwise, folks would wise up to the fact that they are paying $15k or more to reap less than $50 of benefits.

I may never reach Platinum, but I will always treat the crew members with respect.  I read on John Heald's FB page where a "Platinum" passenger SNAPPED her fingers in a crew member's FACE at the coffee bar to get sugar.  There is no reason to be rude to the hard working, underpaid crew members, no matter what color your card is.

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, CoolOne56 said:

I may never reach Platinum, but I will always treat the crew members with respect.  I read on John Heald's FB page where a "Platinum" passenger SNAPPED her fingers in a crew member's FACE at the coffee bar to get sugar.  There is no reason to be rude to the hard working, underpaid crew members, regardless of the color of your card!

5 hours ago, CoolOne56 said:

I may never reach Platinum, but I will always treat the crew members with respect.  I read on John Heald's FB page where a "Platinum" passenger SNAPPED her fingers in a crew member's FACE at the coffee bar to get sugar.  There is no reason to be rude to the hard working, underpaid crew members, no matter what color your card is.

Hi

You have to realize, for many of these type of stories, it's not because they have this card or that kind of job or car, it's just about the kind of person they are.

We talk about entitlement, and on these forums every day we read how people do this or that just because they can get away with it, even if they are breaking the rules (just a little bit). After all they are not hurting anybody. The sad part is that they very often are also teaching their children that it's alright (as long as you can get away with it). We really shouldn't act very surprised when we see more and more people, at best, being inconsiderate to others.

• Like 2

I love people watching on cruises and folks on the 9/8 Magic were the best behaved bunch I've seen in years.  There were only a few ME FIRST and LOOK AT ME folks. 

I did just miss a couple fellas get the 24 hour cabin quarantine for bad behavior, allegedly harassing a woman. My wife caught the tail end of it.  I saw the "police tape" on their deck 0 room after boarding from 1st port. Dumbsh*ts.

19 hours ago, cruizergal70 said:

Carnival entices people to care about the VIFP program by projecting the idea of entitlement. Otherwise, folks would wise up to the fact that they are paying $15k or more to reap less than $50 of benefits.

Let's not blame Carnival for the attitude of some of their passengers.

Of course they want you to feel that you are special!
They are in the vacation industry and EVERY company in that business knows the best way to get repeat customers is to make them feel special and important.
I very much doubt anyone is paying cash just for the benefits. You have to actually spend all those nights on a cruise, so it isn't like they are just buying a membership. It is simply an added perk to something they are already doing. The cost vs the perks doesn't enter into it.
Now, it does entice them to spend their cruise dollars with Carnival instead of a competitor, however it's simply a thank you for the number of days you have spent cruising with them instead of someone else. ALL of the cruise lines have repeat customer benefits similar to Carnival's.

As Nic6318 already mentioned, It isn't the program that causes people to act like this.
They have that same sense of entitlement regardless.
We heard a fellow passenger flashing her GOLD card at a staff member on our last cruise, complaining about something. I'm (not) sorry to say we weren't able to stifle our laughter about it.
She glared out us a little, but I think she realized the scene she was making because she soon left.
(For the record, we will reach GOLD in a few weeks, so this is NOT looking down on GOLD members!)
We have even heard passengers complaining based on the fact that they paid for the cruise.
"Do you know how much I spent to sail with this itinerary??"
The kind of people who will use status as a reason to complain or boss people around will find an excuse or reason to do it without the status. They are small minded, classist bigots who let any perceived authority or superiority go to their head.
And they will often jump through incredible mental hoops to find whatever can make them feel superior.

Negril60 - Glad to hear you enjoyed it! We have sailed both Princess and Carnival and love Carnival's ships.
Princess is nicer in some respects. I agree with the food and the afternoon tea on Princess is nicer. It is also a more relaxing, laid back ship.
However they no longer sail out of Galveston or New Orleans, which are our "local" ports.

We haven't had a bad experience yet on Carnival!
Also looking to do an Alaskan cruise in the future, so it will be interesting to see how it turns out for y'all!

Edited by Chervil
Clarified something
  • Like 1

There was 1 guy working the Deli. Normally had been 3. There was about 15 people in line. I was 4 persons ahead of this lady. Everyone was being polite and just talking vacation talk. First this lady cuts in front of us and interrupts his work . She says hey you have a line here I think you should call for help. He smiled back I’m not sure if he could understand her actually. He went back to work. She got her food , carried it to her husband. She walked back over and literally went off on him pointing her finger asking his name. He didn’t argue back he called the person over him. He came out she told him there was 25 people in line and they all left. The reason the left is because they were embarrassed of how she was treating him. She continued to was her badge around. This was Friday night. So I guess I had been lucky . We went the whole cruise with seeing nothing like this. I really hope the young man doesn’t lose his job. 

Seven of my 12 cruises have been on the Conquest. I always feel I have come home when I am on her. It's been 8 years since the last cruise on the Conquest. I am happy to see others who haven't sail on her like her. I need to again someday.

Also, I will not put my Sail n Sign card on a lanyard anymore just because I am Platinum. As crotchety as I have got in my older age I would have politely told the person where the shortest exit off the ship was located. And grab a life vest on the way. 🙂

Thanks for the review.

Unfortunately with more people cruising there are also more rude and self entitled people on the ships. People don’t realize they are on a ship with other and that the staff are human also. 

We should all be respectful of the staff no matter what. They don’t dictate policy and if the are short handed I can guarantee it is not their fault. Take it up with upper staff in private or in the cruise survey at the end. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Stick93 said:

Thanks for the review.

Unfortunately with more people cruising there are also more rude and self entitled people on the ships. People don’t realize they are on a ship with other and that the staff are human also. 

We should all be respectful of the staff no matter what. They don’t dictate policy and if the are short handed I can guarantee it is not their fault. Take it up with upper staff in private or in the cruise survey at the end. 

Yes, the proliferation of rude and self-important people is growing at alarming rates.

I combat this by telling those schmucks exactly how their poor behaviour affects those around them.  They typically slither away gob-smacked that someone actually called them out for being a poor excuse for a human being.  Standing by and watching does nothing to change how these people conduct themselves.  They continue to do it because they think no one will say anything.  If good people simply said "You're being extremely rude." to those behaving badly, they will almost always stop.

I'm sure some will say "But they could retaliate physically!".  True - but I refuse to live in fear and accept rude people thinking they can power their way to privilege by intimidation.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, StolidCruiser said:

Yes, the proliferation of rude and self-important people is growing at alarming rates.

I combat this by telling those schmucks exactly how their poor behaviour affects those around them.  They typically slither away gob-smacked that someone actually called them out for being a poor excuse for a human being.  Standing by and watching does nothing to change how these people conduct themselves.  They continue to do it because they think no one will say anything.  If good people simply said "You're being extremely rude." to those behaving badly, they will almost always stop.

I'm sure some will say "But they could retaliate physically!".  True - but I refuse to live in fear and accept rude people thinking they can power their way to privilege by intimidation.

Well said S.C.! Totally agree! 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, StolidCruiser said:

I also agree. If they are stupid enoughto retaliate physically, you lodge a complaint of assault against them and let Security deal with the fool/s.

Unfortunately, I think the sense of entitlement is fairly universal. When we were on QM2 this past summer, we were spending some time reading in one of the lounges when a passenger started berating one of the bar servers about the background music being played. He didn't like it and wanted it turned off. The server told him he could turn it down, but not off - which made the passenger more argumentative. Finally, without looking up from my book, I said "Maybe some of us like having the background music." He stomped off in a huff.

Edited by nybumpkin

Got off the Conquest on 7 Sep 19. Had a great time. Probably by far my best cruise. Big part of it was setting up the Meet & Greet and having alot of people to have fun with during the cruise. CD Mat was great as he always is. The food took a step back in the buffet area this time on the Conquest but overall the cruise was great!

On 9/15/2019 at 10:46 AM, Stick93 said:

Thanks for the review.

Great post. We always try to treat staff as well as possible. For example, we always request our cabin to be served only once a day. It’s not the cabin steward’s fault that Carnival increased the number of cabins they are responsible for these days. Of course there are still lots of entitled people who still insist on having their cabin serviced twice a day, because that’s the way it was done in the past. 

I love the Conquest!  Have sailed her a few times!  Glad you had a good time.

Unfortuanately, like others have said, you always see rude people at least once on a cruise.  I would wager, again like others have said, that it is not necessarily a "platimum" thing, but rather a personality thing.  I'm not sure where anyone would get the idea that just because they have "status" that it makes food cook faster.  Sheesh.  Everyone stands in the same line regardless of "status". 

That being said, I've always thought they could do something to streamline the process at the deli and pizza counter during busy times...especially when there is no other food available.  However, I would never berate an employee because of that. 

On 9/15/2019 at 9:06 AM, havanadaydreaming said:

I love people watching on cruises and folks on the 9/8 Magic were the best behaved bunch I've seen in years.  There were only a few ME FIRST and LOOK AT ME folks. 

I did just miss a couple fellas get the 24 hour cabin quarantine for bad behavior, allegedly harassing a woman. My wife caught the tail end of it.  I saw the "police tape" on their deck 0 room after boarding from 1st port. Dumbsh*ts.

Dang!  I didn't realize they could/would confine you to your cabin for 24 hours.  Glad to hear they will though...there is never any reason for bad behavior.

4 minutes ago, ishap said:

I love the Conquest!  Have sailed her a few times!  Glad you had a good time.

Unfortuanately, like others have said, you always see rude people at least once on a cruise.  I would wager, again like others have said, that it is not necessarily a "platimum" thing, but rather a personality thing.  I'm not sure where anyone would get the idea that just because they have "status" that it makes food cook faster.  Sheesh.  Everyone stands in the same line regardless of "status". 

That being said, I've always thought they could do something to streamline the process at the deli and pizza counter during busy times...especially when there is no other food available.  However, I would never berate an employee because of that. 

Dang!  I didn't realize they could/would confine you to your cabin for 24 hours.  Glad to hear they will though...there is never any reason for bad behavior.

I totally agree ishap! But there will always be people who exhibit unacceptable behaviour. Glad to hear that the security team can do that. And speaking of the security team onboard, I spoke to a security guy on the Dream, and had a nice conversation with him. I asked him how many security folks were on the cruise and he said 37. That surprised me, but was pleased to hear that many on board. 

1 minute ago, Joe817 said:

I totally agree ishap! But there will always be people who exhibit unacceptable behaviour. Glad to hear that the security team can do that. And speaking of the security team onboard, I spoke to a security guy on the Dream, and had a nice conversation with him. I asked him how many security folks were on the cruise and he said 37. That surprised me, but was pleased to hear that many on board. 

Yes, that is a higher number than expected, but I'm glad as well.

I have a funny story about a platinum bully trying to throw her weight around. I had FTTF and was waiting in the priority line at Guest Services, next in line to be served, with 5 or 6 in line behind me. This woman pushed in front of me and told the GS staff that she was platinum, and didn't have to wait in line behind all these other people! Well, I was about to lay into her when the GS staff person politely informed her that this was the priority line, for all P/D & FTTF cruisers... she sneered at her and waved her card in the woman's face, almost hitting her in the nose with it... she said I AM PLATINUM! The GS gal calmly said, 'Ma'am- so are they!'

The woman turned to look at the rest of the line and all now 7 or 8 people were all holding up their platinum cards at her! She skulked to the back of the line, mumbled to herself for a bit and then just wandered away! All of us had a great chuckle over it!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

Great post. We always try to treat staff as well as possible. For example, we always request our cabin to be served only once a day. It’s not the cabin steward’s fault that Carnival increased the number of cabins they are responsible for these days. Of course there are still lots of entitled people who still insist on having their cabin serviced twice a day, because that’s the way it was done in the past. 

As you said, we always try to treat the staff as nicely as well.
They are human beings and are simply working hard doing a job to provide for themselves (and possibly their families, if they aren't single). We always treat them with the same respect and dignity that we expect to be treated with.
This includes always addressing them with their name, when possible, smiling and saying hello as we see them in the hallways or other areas of the ship and asking how they are doing that do (or how their day has been).
We also make sure to thank them for the great job they are doing.

That being said, we like to have our cabin serviced twice a day for personal reasons that have absolutely nothing to do with being entitled. For you to make that blanket statement is very condescending in itself.

I agree that it isn't the steward's fault that Carnival chose to decrease staff and increase the amount of cabins they are responsible for.
However that doesn't mean that I am being "entitled" if I decide to utilize the twice a day servicing that is offered.
Our tips tend to also reflect the fact that we appreciate the steward giving our cabin that extra attention as well.
We also make sure to keep our room as neat as possible so that the steward doesn't have a lot of extra work to do.

While we are on a cruise, it is not "entitled" to avail ourselves of the little luxuries and pampering that this type of vacation offers. 
Having your bed made in the morning and then turned down in the evening is a nice treat for some of us that work very hard for the money we spend on our cruise vacation.

We have also voiced our opinions on how understaffed and overworked both the room stewards and the MDR staff are. Taking the opportunity to fill out the comment cards, the reviews, address it on the forums and even to JH himself on his FB page.

Does that mean that since the MDR staff are also reduced and being forced to cover more tables that eating in the MDR is "entitled because that's the way it was done in the past" and we should just eat in the buffet instead?

Certainly not.

If they are going to make cuts, I would recommend eliminating some of the destination photos where the photo crew are dressed up at the pier. I like the Elegant evening and boarding photos well enough, but haven't once considered buying one of the other photos. (although we have bought a few candid shots from the Lido deck).

Another cut they could make would be limiting people to 1 lobster on Elegant Evenings or at least asking if they want more than one instead of assuming. On our last cruise our waiter actually bought out 2 for each person, assuming they would want them. Unfortunately, there were a few left over since we had some light eaters at our table. Shame to see that waste when they could have asked.