Dining scheduling question

Beaver1975

We are new to MSC and have not "traditional" dined in a very long time as we are very avid NCL cruisers.

We are booked in a Fantastica balcony cabin.  I know we choose either late or early dining times.  We are then assigned a dining time with a "priority" over Bella level passengers. Is this the time we must dine every night of the cruise? Are we assigned to a specific table with the same people every night?

Any insights would be greatly appreciated.

You can go to the MDR on embarkation day and make a request for a table for two with the Maitre d', but there are always more requests than tables.  If you move to the Aurea experience you get "My Choice Dining" where you can pick/change your dining time and will get a table for two in a decent location.  It also comes with the Easy drink package, two massages, thermal spa access and priority. 

While there are a few nice secluded ones, usually tables for two that the lower experiences get are over rated on the larger ships.  Frequently there is just a line of them with literally for inches between tables.  I came from NCL and was also concerned at first, but so far I've enjoyed all my shared tables when I cruise Fantastica and would rather sit at a round table for six or eight than in the two top line-up.  Check out the MDR photos in the CC photos section for your ship.

So, specific question.

We are Fantastica Experience.  We have been assigned early dining seating (5:30 - 7:30).

I am told we will have a specific dining time assigned on our sign and sail card.

Say we are assigned 5:30.  We really do not want to dine that early. Do we then have to go to the dining room and request a different time? Where doe the "advantage" over Bella Experience occur since they will probably be in the same line at the dining room?

Confused!!

From what I can tell the priority is given to Fantastica when you fill out the web check in forms and when a couple days before boarding the seating assignments are actually made.  Once on the ship and you see the restaurant and time on your card you must go to the MDR to make changes.  I don't know if the Maitre d' takes experience level into consideration when asking for a change.  My experience with Seaside has been the early dining times are sought after and the later time is easy to get, not as sure about the middle seating.  I've never had the middle seating because I feared it would be a very rushed meal.

ETA: I have a suspicion when you ask for early you can get either the first or second seating.  Late always seems to get the last seating.

Edited by Até

People keep talking about 3 seatings.  I was told that there is early (5:30 - 7:30) and late (7:45 - 9:45).

Be that as it may. Others here have said their TA got them a specific dining time.  My TA says he does not have that option.

What you are saying is that we get to make a specific time request when we will out our "registration" for the cruise?  This is only available 20 days prior to sailing?

2 hours ago, Beaver1975 said:

People keep talking about 3 seatings.  I was told that there is early (5:30 - 7:30) and late (7:45 - 9:45).

Be that as it may. Others here have said their TA got them a specific dining time.  My TA says he does not have that option.

What you are saying is that we get to make a specific time request when we will out our "registration" for the cruise?  This is only available 20 days prior to sailing?

There are 6 seatings on Seaside, three in each dining room

5:15/5:30, 7:15/7:30 and 9:15/9:30, respectively.

Early is one of the times between 5:15-7:30. And late is one between 7:30-9:30. It can be one of any of those times. 

Just like any other line - once your time is assigned (generally the week before the cruise, and you find out at embarcation for exact time) - if you're not happy with your assigned time or table size/location, go see the maitre'd right away, and request a change. The hours and location the maitre'd is availability is in the daily newsletter that day. Or see them when dinner opens, although they'll be super busy right then.  Or try your table out that night and if it doesn't work for you, see them after dinner and request your changes. 

If they have space available at the time you want, they'll make the move.

Whether a lot of people request a change or not varies wildly week to week  - there's no way to know in advance. The earlier you get your change request in, the better your odds of being able to change..

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1