Dress Blues & Elegant Night

Melissa623

4 hours ago, fyree39 said:

He should absolutely wear his dress blues. People will thank him, shake his hand, buy him drinks and the girls will think he's stunning in his uniform.

It's just my opinion of course, and I'm sure it won't be a popular one, but I lose respect for service members who purposely seek that kind of attention and recognition. That's not why we wear/wore the uniform.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Joe817 said:

Funny you should have mentioned that. On our Elegant night I wore khaki slacks, oxford cloth light blue button up shirt with button down collars, tie and my tassel loafers. And I felt slightly overdressed. 

That's pretty much what I wear. I know I can skip the tie, but I at least want to put a little effort into it. Besides, I like dressing up a little bit once in a while. I like to wear nicer clothes to casual nights too. Usually a nice collared shirt, khaki shorts and loafers.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Organized Chaos said:

It's just my opinion of course, and I'm sure it won't be a popular one, but I lose respect for service members who purposely seek that kind of attention and recognition. That's not why we wear/wore the uniform.

I would tend to doubt he is purposely seeking the attention, just comes with the uniform.

Odds are, if I saw you in a Starbucks in your fatigues, I might do the same thing.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, 1025cruise said:

I would tend to doubt he is purposely seeking the attention, just comes with the uniform.

Odds are, if I saw you in a Starbucks in your fatigues, I might do the same thing.

I wasn't accusing the OP's son of wanting to do it on purpose, just saying that it happens. Times have changed since my days in and over the years, especially following 9/11, I've seen a lot more service members who wear their uniforms during their off time and on leave. And yes, I know for a fact that there are some who purposely do it for the exact reasons that many people mentioned in this thread. But it's a generational thing. My Grandpa was in Normandy on D-Day. Among others, he also fought in another famous battle of WWII...one they've literally made movies about. If anyone had stories to tell, it was him, but in all my years with him, he never once so much as uttered the words "war," "Army," or anything military related. That's humility. My dad doesn't talk about his service either. I took after them. I don't like bringing it up, but do on occasion if it's relevant to something I'm talking about. Things are different today, though. Younger generations like attention. Just look at social media.

8 minutes ago, fyree39 said:

I agree with you, but in this case I don't think the young man is looking for a handout. The more I read this thread the more I think he should just wear slacks and a collared shirt.

fyree39

USNR (ret)

Don't even own a uniform anymore....except I kept my sea bag, pea coat and my cover. 

I still have most of my uniforms, but it'll take the world's largest shoehorn to get me into one. 😕

• Like 3

Just got off Valor cruise. Elegant night looks no different than any other night. He can wear dockers and a short sleeve button down Hawaii type shirt and be much more comfortable. We traveled with a retired colonel and no way was he bringing his uniform.

Elegant night does NOT require a suit and I saw not one this cruise. 

Edited by spleenstomper
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/18/2019 at 11:27 AM, Melissa623 said:

Hey everyone, my son, who is 24, and I will be sailing on the Conquest December 14th and he is trying to figure out what to wear for the two Elegant Night dinners. One of NCO's told him he should just wear his Army Dress Blues since he doesn't own a suit other than that one and not to waste the money to buy one. At 6'8 there really isn't such a thing as a cheap suit lol. However, he's worried he will strange or stick out if he wears it. For those of you have cruised a bit or are/were in the Army, or any branch of the military, what are your thoughts on him wearing his Dress Blues? Have you ever really noticed anyone in their military dress uniform? Thank you in advance for your thoughts. 

Though there would be nothing wrong with him wearing his uniform, he should consider whether or not he wants attention. If he wants attention, wear the uniform. If he's more of a fly under the radar and low-key type of guy, just wear some slacks and a collard shirt. In general, elegant night isn't really that elegant on Carnival. Yes there are some that dress up, but like others have stated here, the majority of the people look no different on that night than any other. If he does want to dress more elegantly, but not in uniform, he can just rent a tux or suit. Carnival (and some other cruise lines) even has a company they work with called Cruiseline Formalwear, www.cruiselineformal.com, where you can rent, well, just that; formal wear. You pick it up at the special occasions area or Cherry on Top.

• Thanks 1

Wear it with PRIDE!

I grew up a Navy kid, was married to a Navy man and think any one in their dress uniform is VERY sharp. 

He will have lots of folks chat with him, some will ask for pics and some will offer to buy him drinks. 

He should have a good evening and make great memories.

Please, thank him for his service. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Organized Chaos said:

I wasn't accusing the OP's son of wanting to do it on purpose, just saying that it happens. Times have changed since my days in and over the years, especially following 9/11, I've seen a lot more service members who wear their uniforms during their off time and on leave. And yes, I know for a fact that there are some who purposely do it for the exact reasons that many people mentioned in this thread. But it's a generational thing. My Grandpa was in Normandy on D-Day. Among others, he also fought in another famous battle of WWII...one they've literally made movies about. If anyone had stories to tell, it was him, but in all my years with him, he never once so much as uttered the words "war," "Army," or anything military related. That's humility. My dad doesn't talk about his service either. I took after them. I don't like bringing it up, but do on occasion if it's relevant to something I'm talking about. Things are different today, though. Younger generations like attention. Just look at social media.

I still have most of my uniforms, but it'll take the world's largest shoehorn to get me into one. 😕

You got as close as you could at accusing him......just didn't have the guts to say it straight out!

The young man is 6ft 8 I am pretty sure he gets attention no matter what he wears......

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, midcarolina said:

You got as close as you could at accusing him......just didn't have the guts to say it straight out!

The young man is 6ft 8 I am pretty sure he gets attention no matter what he wears......

You are very much correct, he does get a lot of attention and he doesn't like it. He would never wear his uniform, OCP or dress blues to get attention. When he is in public in uniform and people thank him for his service he get very uncomfortable. The whole question came about because we've only been on one other cruise and that was in 2010 when he was only 15 and people did dress up in suits and he didn't want to be under dressed but also didn't want to have to go spend $300 to $400 on a suit, and at his height a full suit would most like cost at least that much. 

After reading some of the post that have talked about it not being as formal as it once was he quickly decided that if he was okay to just wear slacks, a button-up shirt, and tie then that is what he will do. It will making packing easier too because I wasn't looking forward to trying to figure out how to pack his dress blues for the flight down. LOL 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Melissa623 said:

You are very much correct, he does get a lot of attention and he doesn't like it. He would never wear his uniform, OCP or dress blues to get attention. When he is in public in uniform and people thank him for his service he get very uncomfortable. The whole question came about because we've only been on one other cruise and that was in 2010 when he was only 15 and people did dress up in suits and he didn't want to be under dressed but also didn't want to have to go spend $300 to $400 on a suit, and at his height a full suit would most like cost at least that much. 

After reading some of the post that have talked about it not being as formal as it once was he quickly decided that if he was okay to just wear slacks, a button-up shirt, and tie then that is what he will do. It will making packing easier too because I wasn't looking forward to trying to figure out how to pack his dress blues for the flight down. LOL 

Your son sounds like mine.  He’s tall (6’3”) and proud of his military service, but HATES to draw attention to himself.  When he last cruised, he wore slacks, a button-down shirt and tie for Elegant Night and he fit right in.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, midcarolina said:

You can interpret my comment as you wish, but I assure you you’re wrong. Several people told the OP to tell her son to wear his uniform to get attention and my comment was in direct response to that. I simply offered my opinion as to what I thought about ANY service members who do that. You can talk tough on the internet all you want, but it’s not my fault you couldn’t comprehend. You don’t know me or my guts, thank you very much. 

• Like 2

Active service personnel on cruises wear dress uniforms for elegant night all the time.  Not seeking attention, wearing be cause they, unlike several on this thread and elsewhere, are proud of their service.  And they look sharp.

Similar to those who still dress up in gowns and tuxes, they want to look their best, and enjoy doing so.  Those making negative comments are driving the OP crazy.  Give it a rest. doubt if any of you are on the same cruise or would even walk up to any person in a military uniform and say boo.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, spleenstomper said:

I haven’t seen tuxedos and long dresses on the last several cruises, nor military uniforms either. 

I have never seen anyone wear a military uniform on any of  my 31 cruises on Carnival, although others have said they have seen them being worn. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, crewsweeper said:

Active service personnel on cruises wear dress uniforms for elegant night all the time.  Not seeking attention, wearing be cause they, unlike several on this thread and elsewhere, are proud of their service.  And they look sharp.

Similar to those who still dress up in gowns and tuxes, they want to look their best, and enjoy doing so.  Those making negative comments are driving the OP crazy.  Give it a rest. doubt if any of you are on the same cruise or would even walk up to any person in a military uniform and say boo.

Thank you for putting it so well while I was still trying to come up with acceptable words to use. And it is not a generational "thing" seeking attention either to wear ones uniform in public as some have said. Those with the negative comments must be the same people who were around when military returned from Vietnam and were spat on.

The attention is nothing to be ashamed or embarrased by. Accept with a simple thank you and continue on your way.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yesterday the OP said that as soon as the son found out he could wear casual clothes he decided that was what he wanted to do. He only was asking about dress uniforms because he didn't have a suit! His mom (OP) agreed that it made it easier on her also.

But, when you come on here asking for advice, you have to accept both the good with the bad! Some  who felt he was attention grabbing and seeking to take advantage have every right to their opinion! As soon as the son was given an out, he immediately took it, many young people don't want to stand out from the crowd! Case closed?

• Like 5

If he wants he should wear his dress blues. As others have said, he won't buy a single drink and will shake a lot of hands. Thank him for his service. We wouldn't be able to cruise without guys like your son. Salt of the earth. 🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On ‎9‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 9:27 AM, Melissa623 said:

Hey everyone, my son, who is 24, and I will be sailing on the Conquest December 14th and he is trying to figure out what to wear for the two Elegant Night dinners. One of NCO's told him he should just wear his Army Dress Blues since he doesn't own a suit other than that one and not to waste the money to buy one. At 6'8 there really isn't such a thing as a cheap suit lol. However, he's worried he will strange or stick out if he wears it. For those of you have cruised a bit or are/were in the Army, or any branch of the military, what are your thoughts on him wearing his Dress Blues? Have you ever really noticed anyone in their military dress uniform? Thank you in advance for your thoughts. 

We have noticed nunerous military personnel from across all service branches wearing their dress uniforms, up to and including their Dress Mess, during all of our cruises.  Please, encourage your son to wear his Army Dress Blues with honor and distinction.  He will not look strange nor will he be out of place.  Please pass along out thanks and gratitide for his service to our country.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1