Cobh excursions

ikesyd

Will be visiting Cobh(Cork) next September and looking at things to do(prefer small groups or DIY). Not interested in visiting Blarney Castle which is included in a number of day trips. Any suggestions on tours to nearby areas/places to visit?

I love factory tours and we had a great time at the Midleton Jameson distillery. We took a cab from the Cobh port and the driver didn't even have us pay her until she came back and got us and brought us right back to the ship. I don't remember her name, but she was delightful. I do recommend getting tickets online ahead of time if you are interested in going.

We were just there in August and our ship overnighted so we needed to find two days of tours. We did do an all day Blarney and Kinsale driving tour which was very good and we were very surprised with the size of the Blarney area - we didn't have enough time there and would like to go back. Even if you didn't want to climb up and kiss it, the area itself is very 'park like' and gorgeous. Lots of places to walk and see other things including the little village outside of the Blarney gates. You might want to look a little more into that if you were thinking it is just the castle as we felt we could spend a whole day there easily. 

Kinsale was also a great stop although we were happy with just a few hours there to grab a pub lunch and walk around with an ice cream, but also consider that it was part of a 9 hour tour that day so we would have explored more if it would have been a single stop tour.

On the second day our plan was to take the train into Cork (extremely easy to do) and then meet the Jameson Middleton Shuttle bus, to then be driven to the distillery for the tour etc. Unfortunately the week we were there is the same week that they changed the pick up location (due to road construction completion) and we ended up missing the bus (extremely disappointed), so we had to change our plans and ended up just walking around Cork city centre. It was much more pleasant than I had expected it to be and we ended up having a fabulous time. This was our last port day of our 14 day vacation so it was nice to just wander, grab some coffees and an excellent lunch and then take the train back to Cobh without rushing. I would certainly do it again, so you might not want to underestimate having just a "free day" there??? 😃

26 minutes ago, homeofthehound said:

Even if you didn't want to climb up and kiss it, the area itself is very 'park like' and gorgeous. Lots of places to walk and see other things including the little village outside of the Blarney gates. You might want to look a little more into that if you were thinking it is just the castle as we felt we could spend a whole day there easily. 

Thank you for that information.  I will be in Cobh next May, and I had reflexively ruled out Blarney as being to touristy and gimmicky.  No way will I kiss a stone that millions of others have kissed, but with your information, I will reconsider Blarney for its other attractions.  

• Like 1

At Cobh, we've done various things.  We did a private tour arranged by a fellow CCer to Powerscourt Estate & Gardens and Glendalough, the site of a 6th century monastery with an intriguing tower ("back in the day" one needed a ladder to get into it; not allowed to do that now).  We've taken the train into Cobh and have also enjoyed just walking around Cobh itself--it's on a plain high above the water and there's a beautiful cathedral up there.  Be sure to be out on deck as your ship sails into the harbour for great views.  Enjoy!

Our ship docked here on August 12th - we took the ship's Blarney Castle tour and thoroughly enjoyed it. Had no plans on kissing the stone but blew it a kiss; the area around Blarney Castle is lovely and we were surprised on how pretty it was, after our walk around the castle and grounds we went to the Blarney Mills which is a quality shop of woollens, linens etc. (much better than Powerscourt). After our shopping, we had a complimentary Irish Coffee sitting outside on their terrace. Once back at Cobh, we walked about the quaint town with beautiful Cathedral with lots of history as last port for the Titanic. Ship was docked within minutes from Cobh so relaxing end of day touring and the train station is literally across from where the ship docked.

19 hours ago, VMax1700 said:

From Cobh?  It's probably a 3 hour drive to Glendalough from Cobh.

We've stopped at Cobh multiple times at the beginning of TAs, but we did stop at Dublin once.  Looking at the map, this excursion to Powerscourt and Glendalough must have been from Dublin.  The memory's not what it used to be <g>.

4 hours ago, BarbinMich said:

We've stopped at Cobh multiple times at the beginning of TAs, but we did stop at Dublin once.  Looking at the map, this excursion to Powerscourt and Glendalough must have been from Dublin.  The memory's not what it used to be <g>.

From Dublin makes much more sense!  Powerscourt House and Gardens, and Glendalough are beautiful spots and would be the focal point of the trip, not how you got there!

I just wanted to confirm where you traveled from so as others wouldn't necessarily think they could make the journey to Powerscourt and Glendalough from Cobh.

Our first time to Cobh we went to Blarney and Kinsale. The castle is lovely with gorgeous views from the top, the surrounding park beautiful and ablaze with flowers, we thoroughly enjoyed the visit. We had a private tour with Paddywagon and our driver guide got us there early so we beat the crowds. Kinsale is a pretty seaside town, we also visited Charles Fort en route. Back in Cobh we had time to visit  the Titanic exhibit.

The next time in Cobh we took a private tour with Butlers to Cahir Castle and Rock of Cashel. A longer drive but another wonderful day, we particularly enjoyed Rock of Cashel.

If you want to stay in Cobh, there is a Heritage Center right off from where the ship docks.  It explores the stories of Irish emigration, as well as the Lusitania and Titanic catastrophes.   We added the optional Titanic Trail walk around town, which ended at St. Colman's  Cathedral.  There is also a Titanic Museum in Cobh, but we didn't go inside.  We had been to Blarney and Kinsale in the past, so opted to stay in town.  We enjoyed having a "slow" day on our very port intensive cruise! 

Here is  a link to the Cultural Center in case you're interested:  https://www.cobhheritage.com/