Has anyone tried Moderno on the Escape? Is it worth the $46pp??

DimSum

Can you still pre-purchase a dining package? I did that once when I didn’t get it with my booking. It was more reasonable than paying the designated prices. I wouldn’t pay $46 out of pocket. I really enjoyed the salad bar last year, but the meat has too much salt and seasoning for me. I eat some, but not a lot. Everyone has different taste, though. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, KruzPrincess said:

Can you still pre-purchase a dining package? I did that once when I didn’t get it with my booking. It was more reasonable than paying the designated prices. I wouldn’t pay $46 out of pocket. I really enjoyed the salad bar last year, but the meat has too much salt and seasoning for me. I eat some, but not a lot. Everyone has different taste, though. 

Yes, you can buy the dining package online.

I believe it is now the same price as onboard though.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Monarch25 said:

Does the $46 charge apply to children too? We have a 12 and 13 year old with us. Also, if it does, can we use two of our free at sea dinners so the 4 of us can eat together?  

Don't have the answer about using 2 of the 4 dinner vouchers for dinner there but I do know the 13 year old has to pay full price and unless the kids enjoy a long meal time and are big eaters I don''t think this is something they would enjoy. 

BTW: someone commented the salad bar was good but limited in selection must really like a huge variety. We have always found it the best part of the meal. I can not imagine too much else they would have on the bar. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ronbe65 said:

NCL top ships is an expensive experience if you want to cruise like NCL.

With their so-so itineraries and horrible pools, the only way to cruise NCL is specialty dining and spa. Otherwise I would look elsewhere.

So yes, if we decide to take a cruise on the Escape or Breakaway, we'll definitely (automatically) book three specialty restaurants, with the Moderno being #1.

Is it worth $50 surcharge?

It's not a question for us. The question is: Is NCL worth money?

If yes, there will be no further questions.

Happy cruising!

Very interesting response: the question had nothing to do with anyone's opinion of NCL bu about whether the cost of Modernos was worth it. Why did you think they asked anyone's opinion about sailing on any particular cruise line? 

On 9/21/2019 at 7:23 AM, SlipperyVic said:

I wouldn't pay $46 to eat there, I wouldn't pay the old $29.99 either. I don't even use my platinum voucher there. I'm not sure I would eat there if it was complementary.

So tell us  why? Have you ever eaten there, is this not your type of meal, have you had crappy food? Just curious why? 

We treated our butler to Moderno one night. Staff does not get a discount. It definitely stung a bit to get that bill, especially since she ate like a bird. 😄

That was about the only time we've paid full price for Moderno. It's a good use of your Platinum voucher, but that's about it.

Hard to say if it's worth it. If you've never been to a Brazilian rodizio/churrascaria and don't have one near your house, it might be worth checking out for the experience. However if you have been to one before, especially one of the higher-end chains (Fogo de Chao, Texas de Brazil, etc), you will probably be disappointed in the selections and quality of the meat for the price, especially the newer 46pp price which puts it in the same league as the aforementioned chains.

Think about it like the teppanyaki experience - if you've been to Benihani's or something similar, you might be disappointed in the cruise ship version of it. But if you don't have one near you and have never done it, it's a good opportunity to try it out and you might really enjoy it.

If a good land-based version of a restaurant is like a Broadway show, NCL's versions of these restaurants range from off-Broadway to community theater 😁

43 minutes ago, AlexandNessa said:

We treated our butler to Moderno one night. Staff does not get a discount. It definitely stung a bit to get that bill, especially since she ate like a bird. 😄

I would love to do this one day but I'm worried about spending a bunch of money and them not eating much. How was the dinner though, was it awkward at all or did you guys have a good time? The new prices definitely make it harder to do stuff like this.

2 minutes ago, tomservo said:

I would love to do this one day but I'm worried about spending a bunch of money and them not eating much. How was the dinner though, was it awkward at all or did you guys have a good time? The new prices definitely make it harder to do stuff like this.

This was our third sailing with this butler, and we keep in touch throughout the year... and it was still a teeny bit awkward. If you do this, be prepared for a lot of extra visits to your table from staff.

And, I also recommend going to an a la carte restaurant instead...

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Laszlo said:

Moderno was good on the Escape, I would never pay $46 for it. Considering Fogo de Chão Brazilian Steakhouse in Philadelphia is $50 per person and wayyyyyyyy better

Well we have one here in dc too is 88 dollars per person and includes two drinks, way way better as well. We like Moderno, we use our voucher there and used to go twice paying the 29.99 each the second time but is definitely not worth 48 dollars each. 

My take having eaten in different ship Moderno's..Salad bar n soups are ok. Actual meats could taste better n hotter if seating at far end of diningroom. Twice meats were cold ! Not worth the $46 unless part of SDP or Platinum voucher..

Complaint of cold food ending in covered strawberries in room later that nite..

I enjoyed it more than Cagney's but YMMV. I think it depends on when you are going and where they seat you. I been 4x and one was a mixed experience as it was a busy night and we were not close to where the food starts, so hardly any servers stopped by our table as they ran out of food by the time they got to us.

On 9/20/2019 at 5:25 PM, casofilia said:

I would not have paid the $30 the cost used to be never mind $46!!!    It is not worth the extra above the built into the cost of the MDR dinner in the cruise price.

We used to LOVE Moderno but like much dining on NCL it has lost its edge.  Will still use our free Latitudes voucher there.

Yea, I think it was about $20 the first time we tried it.  Then we had a few times with dining package.  It's been hit or miss.  I wouldn't pay $46 for it, we have Brazilian steakhouse in the DC area that aren't that much more ($50-75) and they are amazing.

• Like 1