More Propulsion Problems -- Enchantment

RCCL Fan

This week's sailing of Enchantment has been rerouted with shorter port days  for a "quick engine check"

This after RCI announced several sailings in January will be impacted due to a "Propulsion pod" issue. 

Enchantment, Grandeur, and Allure all having issues....  geez.

70615591_10157668206869797_8317754762036510720_n.jpg

They announced over the summer that they were changing times and ports for several sailings in 2020 due to propulsion issues.

It made no sense to me, since the ship was making the voyages just fine right now, but somehow wouldn't be able to in January.

Now this.

My guess is they're doing some kind of maintenance or engine replacement and are having to take some engines off line.... but I don't know.

Been on this website a many years, and never recall hearing of RCI having so many propulsion issues impacting guests. 

I got the same email from RCCL today regarding tomorrow's 5-day western Caribbean sailing on Enchantment.

They say, "One of our engines needs a routine maintenance check‐up..." but that implies it is a one-time thing that would be completed during or immediately after this sailing.  However, it looks like every cruise on the Enchantment requires a "check-up"!

RCCL.png

4 hours ago, pnkfld said:

I got the same email from RCCL today regarding tomorrow's 5-day western Caribbean sailing on Enchantment.

They say, "One of our engines needs a routine maintenance check‐up..." but that implies it is a one-time thing that would be completed during or immediately after this sailing.  However, it looks like every cruise on the Enchantment requires a "check-up"!

RCCL.png

Exactly --- this quick check up thing is every week....   and people in January are getting it too.

Clearly there's something significant going on.

I'm annoyed because the route to Progreso was about $800 cheaper than the Costa Maya route.  I wanted Costa Maya so I paid extra. 

Not to mention nothing like tooling around the sea with half the engines during hurricane season.     fun fun fun.

and yes for those who say --- i knew it was hurricane season when I booked, and I know that they have the right to change, and I know that a day on the ship is better than a day at work....  and I'm still very very happy to go.....  but..... I do wish they would be upfront about this routine "check up" a bit earlier and give us some time to make alternate plans.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, HicksRA said:

I had a B2B booked in January to do Progreso and Costa Maya (been to both several times already).  Now I’ve got a B2B going to the same place. Contemplating cancelling one trip. 

Same with me, but we're doing it for points. After our B2B, we will be Diamond.

We just did a 7-day on Liberty that went to Roatan, Costa Maya, and Cozumel. This B2B would have been 2 stops at Cozumel and a stop at Costa Maya (now Progreso). We may just stay on the ship and enjoy the pool most of the time.

Steve

2 minutes ago, HicksRA said:

And as RCCL Fan stated above, the Costa Maya route was more expensive than the Progreso route. You’d think they’d at least adjust the price to be in line with the destination. 

Had dozens Port Changes due to many different reasons, inc one next Spring. They never adjust price for different port.

1 hour ago, ONECRUISER said:

Had dozens Port Changes due to many different reasons, inc one next Spring. They never adjust price for different port.

I have had a few as well while on the ship and that’s understandable, but not 6 months in advance....

17 minutes ago, HicksRA said:

I have had a few as well while on the ship and that’s understandable, but not 6 months in advance....

My next future changes are Apr/May2020. Instead of Mexico/W Carib going to Bahamas

Edited by ONECRUISER

22 minutes ago, HicksRA said:

When they adjusted Vision NOLA sailings when CocoCay wasn’t ready I cancelled and ate the $100 NRD penalty.  Months later after final payment due date I rebooked it $600 less. At the reduced price it was acceptable to visit Miami instead of CocoCay.  

If folks are 6 months out watch for price drops.  

I'm with all of you.

The rationale for the change is just bizarre....  at least with Allure we know what's wrong and the plan to fix it and why it took so long....  Grandeur was a sudden thing and that cancelled the cruise and fixed it.  

But this --- weeks and weeks of "routine checkups" and technical issues 1 yr out isn't cool. 

I'm waiting to see what happens next week.   

Just be straight with us.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Onboard the Enchantment now.

I asked an officer yesterday what the issue was but didn't get a clear answer.  However, she did say that they were waiting on parts that have now arrived in Galveston so the repair will take place after we dock tomorrow.  Supposedly the next sailing out of Galveston tomorrow will be back on schedule.

On 9/25/2019 at 5:17 PM, Cruiser Pilot said:

We're just off the ship and I agree this is a scam to save fuel. Progresso is a dump. 

Were you supposed to go somewhere else?

On 9/24/2019 at 9:30 PM, RCCL Fan said:

Exactly --- this quick check up thing is every week....   and people in January are getting it too.

Clearly there's something significant going on.

I'm annoyed because the route to Progreso was about $800 cheaper than the Costa Maya route.  I wanted Costa Maya so I paid extra. 

Not to mention nothing like tooling around the sea with half the engines during hurricane season.     fun fun fun.

and yes for those who say --- i knew it was hurricane season when I booked, and I know that they have the right to change, and I know that a day on the ship is better than a day at work....  and I'm still very very happy to go.....  but..... I do wish they would be upfront about this routine "check up" a bit earlier and give us some time to make alternate plans.

Hmm that’s strange we just did B2B Costa Maya/Cozumel and Progreso/Cozumel this summer and our Progreso leg was much dearer in the same category cabin.  I think it has more to do with dates and other factors - quickly looking at prices for November not seeing much difference.

We found a quiet, fun bar in Progreso and have previously enjoyed the ruins but not a port we have been to often. I think it requires some research.

That said Enchantment is not a ship I would return to in a hurry.

Edited by c-leg5

5 hours ago, pnkfld said:

I asked an officer yesterday what the issue was but didn't get a clear answer.  However, she did say that they were waiting on parts that have now arrived in Galveston so the repair will take place after we dock tomorrow.  Supposedly the next sailing out of Galveston tomorrow will be back on schedule.

Don't you mean Liberty of the Seas? Now shown leaving the Pier.

Edited by longhorn2004

11 hours ago, pnkfld said:

Best news I've heard in a while! 

I know they don't want to alarm guests by saying something is broken, but I the "quick routine checkup" is just silly.    How about something like,  "We must complete necessary maintenance on one of our four engines, and until that repair is complete, we will be safely sailing on our other 3 fully functioning engines, but at a slower pace. Therefore we've had to alter the itinerary"

7 hours ago, c-leg5 said:

Hmm that’s strange we just did B2B Costa Maya/Cozumel and Progreso/Cozumel this summer and our Progreso leg was much dearer in the same category cabin.  I think it has more to do with dates and other factors - quickly looking at prices for November not seeing much difference.

That said Enchantment is not a ship I would return to in a hurry.

We purchased in January or February.  I remember the price difference well because we we're a little heavy handed on travel this year....  and we were doubting whether we should do this.

Progreso route was consistently about 800 cheaper for us for a JS or GS.   My wife wanted to do it for the savings, but I heard so many negatives about Progreso I insisted on paying more for Costa Maya, the poison we knew.

I'm aware its demand/dates/etc   but at that time there was a clear higher price for Costa Maya.  

I'll be happy either way,  I was more annoyed than anything that this "routine quick check" nonsense was going on so long.

5 hours ago, RCCL Fan said:

Best news I've heard in a while! 

I know they don't want to alarm guests by saying something is broken, but I the "quick routine checkup" is just silly.    How about something like,  "We must complete necessary maintenance on one of our four engines, and until that repair is complete, we will be safely sailing on our other 3 fully functioning engines, but at a slower pace. Therefore we've had to alter the itinerary"

We purchased in January or February.  I remember the price difference well because we we're a little heavy handed on travel this year....  and we were doubting whether we should do this.

Progreso route was consistently about 800 cheaper for us for a JS or GS.   My wife wanted to do it for the savings, but I heard so many negatives about Progreso I insisted on paying more for Costa Maya, the poison we knew.

I'm aware its demand/dates/etc   but at that time there was a clear higher price for Costa Maya.  

I'll be happy either way,  I was more annoyed than anything that this "routine quick check" nonsense was going on so long.

Just to let you know, the week we were supposed to stop at Costa Maya the captain did attempt to dock but was unable to due to wind/currents (although the bigger ships with azipods were docked, so we never actually got our stop at Costa Maya. I have been on the beach at Mahahual previously and seen ships abort docking.

We headed back to Cozumel and had a late arrival and overnight stop there instead.

We were on Enchantment in May.  I consider it the worst cruise ever!  Keep in mind that any cruise is better than work though!  🙂

They had "propulsion problems" back then too.  As far as I am concerned, the Captain needs to be fired.  Totally incompetent.  I say this because it is the Captains job to let people know what is going on.  It is also his responsibility when things go wrong and to make sure his crew is trained and handling things properly.  We were all left in the dark and every stop was a mess at best.

The restaurant and bar staff were outstanding!  The rest of the staff needed some training, and needed to be allowed to handle things better.

At both Georgetown and Costa Maya the ship had so many problems getting set up to let people off.  We were not told that we would be in port on time but then not allowed to leave for over an hour past the time listed in the schedule.  They just let people stand in lines wondering what was going on.  A simple announcement would have made all the difference!  And the crew was not doing anything about crowd control.  People started making multiple lines that then had to merge somehow leaving people who waited an hour right next to people who had just walked up.  I guess they marked that up to the propulsion issues.  Which, if they knew about, they could have told us there would be delays and stop lying about how everything will be on time or ready in just a few more minutes.  I heard staff say "just a few more minutes" many times for over an hour.

Even my experience with Next Cruise was bad.  In the past we always found them very helpful in finding another cruise.  The staff on Enchantment was horrible.  He wasn't listening to us and his recommendations were nothing like what we were interested in.

I know it may not be fair to add this, but this was my first time getting sent to the naughty room too.  I have taken a power cord for my CPAP on many cruises before with no problems.  It is not something I can sleep without.  I understand they are recently enforcing the no extension cord rule.  However, the experience from that was far from reasonable!  I spent an hour and half dealing with inept people who promised one thing and then delivered nothing.  That is a long story, so I am leaving the many details out which describe all the chances the crew had to resolve the problem quickly and easily.  They didn't seem to care at all.  They also were overwhelmed with over 250 people who had their power cords taken away.  In the end I had a personal visit from an engineer who offered a ships reserve power cord for me to use.  It should have never gotten that far!  That was after another crew person told me I was on a waiting list since they were out of cords.  If they were out, and we are at sea, how is there even a "waiting list".  Poor planning on the part of the staff.  You can't suddenly enforce a policy and not expect it to have repercussions. 

I wrote a long letter describing in detail the failings of the crew on that ship.  RC did not even so much as acknowledge my letter to them.

The propulsion was only part of the problems.  The Captain failed to manage the ship in many more ways.