So I got served the "standby steak" in Cagney's

PortFees45

Just off a Canadian cruise on the Gem. Lovely cruise, but had this encounter that speaks to the sad decline of Cagney's.

I ordered the filet, and a tiny little thing came out. The waiter insisted I had ordered the petit filet, though I had very, very clearly not. That's okay, people mishear things. I just asked him to please bring me a regular filet, cooked medium. 

Like 90 seconds later, he's back with a gnarled looking piece of meat, accompanied by the maitre-de. I of course asked how the steak was ready so quickly, and the maitre-de PROUDLY replied, "This is the standby steak. Please enjoy sir!" 

I don't know why I didn't immediately reject it. I guess I was tired and not looking to go into a back and forth over a platinum certificate meal. I cut into it, and it was red cold raw. Sent it back again. 

Finally a medium "filet" did come out, but I have to say it was the gnarliest, nastiest "filet" I've ever had. It didn't even look like a filet. I think they're butterflying them to make them look bigger/last longer. There was a big line of gristle running right smack down the middle of it, and there were a few bites I literally had to spit out because I couldn't chew. This was way, way below the level of quality you'd expect even in a place like Outback. Hell, this was below what you'd expect at a Sizzler. 

Again it was a platinum comped meal, so I didn't get worked up over it, but anyone paying a-la-carte prices for Cagney's these days is out of their minds. 

• Like 2

Nasty, I'd be furious ...... It's almost like they're trying to make a fool out of people and yet people still pay these high prices on top of the cruise fare for subpar food and service ....... You shouldn't have paid anything and let the MD know it and told him you were contacting corporate and you'd give them his name and your servers. 

• Like 2

Wow. Don’t think anyone is trying to make a fool of anyone. They are trying to be very responsive to their customers. they should be applauded for trying. 

That being said, a good cook should be able to tell the temperature of a steak by touch. And short of that, by thermometer. If a mistake was made and if it is under done, send it back. 

Edited by BirdTravels
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, BirdTravels said:

Wow. Don’t think anyone is trying to make a fool of anyone. They are trying to be very responsive to their customers. they should be applauded for trying. 

That being said, a good cook should be able to tell the temperature of a steak by touch. And short of that, by thermometer. If a mistake was made and if it is under done, send it back. 

When you send back a steak you should get a fresh one cooked properly. Your dining partner’s meal should also be returned to the kitchen and kept warm so you can continue eating together. What happens in most cases when your steak is undercooked they microwave it. This changes the texture of the steak and essentially makes it inedible. At this point your partner has finished their meal so there is really no point to requesting another steak. This is not fine dining.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, tallnthensome said:

Nasty, I'd be furious ...... It's almost like they're trying to make a fool out of people and yet people still pay these high prices on top of the cruise fare for subpar food and service ....... You shouldn't have paid anything and let the MD know it and told him you were contacting corporate and you'd give them his name and your servers. 

I'm not going to report a server's name to corporate for something short of literally seeing them spit in my food.

8 hours ago, PortFees45 said:

I'm not going to report a server's name to corporate for something short of literally seeing them spit in my food.

I wouldn't actually do it but when you tell people you will they change their views and future actions just being told that. 

Everyone's comment is worthy

Now on with the show.  A waiter/waitress should never argue over what was ordered.  Many times the customer definitely could be the wrong one but its handled "Oh, I'm sorry you ordered the medium filet, coming right up."

I am really curious to get to try Cagneys again in a few months.  I have seen the pictures and things definitely have gotten smaller and more expensive.  But hoping some quality is still left.  Cagneys used to be the highlight of our cruise.  Even on short cruises we would eat there twice.  I miss the seasoning Cagneys used to put on their steaks about 10 years ago.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, PortFees45 said:

Just off a Canadian cruise on the Gem. Lovely cruise, but had this encounter that speaks to the sad decline of Cagney's.

I ordered the filet, and a tiny little thing came out. The waiter insisted I had ordered the petit filet, though I had very, very clearly not. That's okay, people mishear things. I just asked him to please bring me a regular filet, cooked medium. 

Like 90 seconds later, he's back with a gnarled looking piece of meat, accompanied by the maitre-de. I of course asked how the steak was ready so quickly, and the maitre-de PROUDLY replied, "This is the standby steak. Please enjoy sir!" 

I don't know why I didn't immediately reject it. I guess I was tired and not looking to go into a back and forth over a platinum certificate meal. I cut into it, and it was red cold raw. Sent it back again. 

Finally a medium "filet" did come out, but I have to say it was the gnarliest, nastiest "filet" I've ever had. It didn't even look like a filet. I think they're butterflying them to make them look bigger/last longer. There was a big line of gristle running right smack down the middle of it, and there were a few bites I literally had to spit out because I couldn't chew. This was way, way below the level of quality you'd expect even in a place like Outback. Hell, this was below what you'd expect at a Sizzler. 

Again it was a platinum comped meal, so I didn't get worked up over it, but anyone paying a-la-carte prices for Cagney's these days is out of their minds. 

Sorry for your experience. As I have mentioned on my past posts, I am not or never had been sold on Cagney's. When we have the dining package we do go there,, or if we are with another couple who really do want to go, we do, but I have never been super impressed. And lately we have heard more negative than positive about Cagney's on all ships. We will be there in 3 more weeks. I did have to smile when you said, it might even be below Sizzler. 

It does seem to me anyway, the quality at the specialty restaurants on most NCL ships has gone down hill since the introduction of the "free at sea" I am not complaining by any means. Most of it is still good and we are getting it as  perk. It is still as good as what we would get at a mid priced restaurant at home, but it isn't like those days gone by..  

• Like 1

We always do Moderno instead of Cagney's for our Plat plus meals, and threads like this one certainly don't inspire us to give it a try.  Other nights we are content to hit the buffet.  If I had been treated this way I would have walked out to go to the buffet, not saying another word.

If we have eaten at Cagneys 60 times (2 per week) almost 40 cruises we have sent steaks back on most visits > We use to only go for the colossal shrimp cocktail but now that thats gone we only order fish dishes.

Every time this subject comes I 've said that we always get a better steak at Le Bistro hands down.

Guess I am not surprised that they had a "stand by" steak, but telling you that was just idiotic.  Pretty sure I would have stood up and walked out at that point.  My experiences have been mediocre, so we don't even go there, which is a shame.

• Like 1

We've eaten at Cagney's at least 25 times on many different ships and haven't had poor service once.  This sounds very much like a one-off situation.  And, unlike others, I've seen no drastic reduction in quality at the restaurant.  Stuff happens.