Tendered in RI?

HardyVA

We will be cruising on Summit to Bermuda at the end of June.  The cruise also goes to RI for one day. The ship will be tendered in RI.  I think I know what that means but how does that work?  How many can get tendered at a time?  Can I go off in the morning and go back to the ship midday and then go off again, etc?  I guess I’m wondering if I can come and go all day like we do when we are docked?  

4 minutes ago, Mr. Click said:

Assuming you are talking about Newport RI the tenders are the ship's lifeboats and they hold between 100 and 150 people for tendering.  Yes, you can go back and forth as often as you like.  

Yes, I am referring to Newport, RI.  Thanks for your reply.  Two more questions...are they relatively easy to board? And how many go at a time?  

the harbor there is pretty well protected so boarding should be easy.  I have never tendered there or on the Summit so I can't say how many boats they can load at a time but typically they can manage two at a time if they use both spots on the ship.  They have a lot of experience with this and normally have it pretty well organized and they do normally issue timed tender tickets for the morning.

We were on a similar cruise in April.   Tendering went very smoothly and started almost immediately after arrival.   They have a priority system for boarding Tenders.   Ship Tours have the first priority and often have separate tenders and sometims leave from a different area than regular tenders.   The Tenders hold approximately 125 people.    Ease of boarding a tender will depend on the weather conditions and wave heights.    They bring the tenders along the side of platform that folds down from the ship.   You have to walk down about 10 stairs to the platform then there will be attendants that will assist you in boarding.   The tender does bounce around a bit.

The trip ashore takes approx 15-20 minutes.      There are no restrictions on how many times you can come and go but for us we generally go ashore and then just return to the ship.

You will love Providence.   One of the highlights of the port are the Mansion and their tour.   The ship offers tours but it is really an easy walk (about a mile to The Breakers).  

We tendered in Newport and they had 3 tenders running when we got off & returned.  .  We are Elite+ so had priority for exiting the ship so we had a very short wait. We were in no hurry so we  waited to leave until the tendering had been under way for about 1 hour.  The line for the tender to return to the ship was rather long but moved quickly

On 9/22/2019 at 12:20 PM, Jim_Iain said:

You will love Providence.   One of the highlights of the port are the Mansion and their tour.   The ship offers tours but it is really an easy walk (about a mile to The Breakers).  

You are not going to Providence, it's about a 45 min ride away from Newport.  The mansions mentioned in the post are in Newport.  Or take the public bus from the pier to the Breakers. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, cruiseri said:

You are not going to Providence, it's about a 45 min ride away from Newport.  The mansions mentioned in the post are in Newport.  Or take the public bus from the pier to the Breakers. 

They also have tours that take you around the city with stops at one of the mansions. We did the Breakers tour which left us plenty of time at the mansion. They do the same tours with stops at the other mansions. You will see the church where the Kennedy’s got married and much more.

2 hours ago, cruiseri said:

You are correct - Providence is 45 miles away.    The ship ship  tenders into Newport but Celebrity calls the stop as Providence.   I was just going with what they call the port.    

8 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

You are correct - Providence is 45 miles away.    The ship ship  tenders into Newport but Celebrity calls the stop as Providence.   I was just going with what they call the port.    

Celebrity calls it Newport.

AAE576AC-DA4C-48B8-A267-43F6AFB6E9AE.thumb.png.73c02984543ff141ea29ccd8ddb095a7.png

If you take a left getting off the ship when facing the city o America's Cup Ave, there is a big brick tourism building, Discover Newport.  If you haven't already booked something through the ship, they do offer several tours and you can purchase one there, or better yet, reserve before your trip.    https://www.discovernewport.org/things-to-do/tours/

Edited by elaineb
hit enter too soon
  • Like 1

https://www.newportmansions.org/plan-a-visit/custom-tours

I love Newport. Check out this website for various tours. Tickets can be purchased online to save time.

If you'd like to enrich your experience by reading, I recommend 'The Husband Hunters,' by Anne de Courcy. It's a fast, easy read.  

Edited by Marelaine

2 hours ago, elaineb said:

If you take a left getting off the ship when facing the city o America's Cup Ave, there is a big brick tourism building, Discover Newport.  If you haven't already booked something through the ship, they do offer several tours and you can purchase one there, or better yet, reserve before your trip.    https://www.discovernewport.org/things-to-do/tours/

Just an FYI, across the street  from the tour building is the oldest operating minor league baseball stadium in the US. Cool structure.

• Like 2