LIVE: Crown Princess Transatlantic Cruise, 9/22/19 - 10/8/19

geoherb

10 hours ago, geoherb said:

We're home! A friend who now lives in Fort Lauderdale picked us up at the port. We got to see her condo and take her out to lunch. We made it to FLL in time for our flight. We met two women who had been on our ship, but we did not recognize them. They were flying through Atlanta, and their flight was taking off at the gate beside ours. 

Our plane was on time. The Atlanta flight was delayed, even though the board above the gate agents said it was on time. The flight home was a little bit bumpy, but not as bad as our flight to London from Toronto. We ubered home at rush hour. It took eight minutes longer than predicted.

Thanks so much for the live coverage.  I really enjoyed it.   Travel safely in the future and hope to meet up on another Princess cruise.   

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, happiness is cruising said:

Hi... YOU ARE THE BEST....thank you so so much for your Live..I am on the Regal in April...doing the EXACT... itinerary....the other way..learned so MUCH........sad you missed several ports...but you made lemonade out of lemons!!!!  WELCOME HOME!!!     Ann

You may want to check out our roll call thread. And here's a website a great guy set up for us. It has info on the different ports: https://crownwesterneuropepassage2019.shutterfly.com/

Thank you for your Live from the Crown.  I have been following and have enjoyed your posts.  Our next cruise is on 12-14-19 on the Royal to Mexico. We are taking our family and I can't wait. Your post has been theraputic for me.  Phyllis

6 hours ago, Doug R. said:

Was Ella Ryan, an Irish singer, performing on your sailing?

I enjoyed her performances a lot. I did not get to go to the ones she performed in the Explorers Lounge, but I saw her several times in the piazza. 

Nice review and "story."  Quite objective and informative.  We're a bit torn with booking a 14 day Carr. cruise on Crown in '21 vs a 10 day on Sky. We're taking a 7 on Sky in '20 and have been on Royal Princess a few times.  Also been on Emerald and Carr. Princess.  Would you take Crown from a ship quality perspective? 

I ask since you mentioned Crown looked a bit tired.  I've read a few reviews with similar comments.  I was surprised since the DDock was just in '18.   We know we'll enjoy both, but admit that we like the bigger atrium on Sky and a few other differences (buffet and Alfredo's)

I don't want to hijack the thread, but thought I'd throw it out there.

TIA

I like the size of the Crown better than the Royal class ships, although I do miss Alfredo's. The parts that looked tired were things such as carpeting on the stairs--something I'm sure they'll be replacing eventually. Our cabin's carpet also could have used replacing. Is the 14-day cruise on the Crown a true 14-day cruise or two 7-day cruises? That would be a factor for me. The Crown is substantially very similar to the Emerald. 

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, geoherb said:

I like the size of the Crown better than the Royal class ships, although I do miss Alfredo's. The parts that looked tired were things such as carpeting on the stairs--something I'm sure they'll be replacing eventually. Our cabin's carpet also could have used replacing. Is the 14-day cruise on the Crown a true 14-day cruise or two 7-day cruises? That would be a factor for me. The Crown is substantially very similar to the Emerald. 

Thnaks!

The size of the Royal class ships is good for us.  I do miss the promenade of the "Crown" but it's not a huge deal. Neither is balcony size on Sky.  

It is a true 14 day.. not one that returns to Ft Laud. mid cruise.  I figured the Crown would pretty close to the Emerald.  It's going to be a tough call either way... I suspect that in the end, either choice will be fun.  I do admit that IF the itineraries were flipped, we'd pick the SKY 14 day.  Such is not the case so the head scratchin' continues.

And thanks again!

23 hours ago, dns20 said:

Does Crown Princess really have on demand TV now?  This must be a recent upgrade.

Yes.

I'm on board now. Not a large selection of movies or TV shows, but all are at no charge. 

Movies shown on MUTS will be shown the following afternoon in Explorers Lounge, then they will be put on demand in the cabins.

• 2 weeks later...

Great blog; thank you for taking us along! I really hope they make the cruises staffers have new trivia questions each cruise. Now that so many cruises are marketed as multiple lengths, and then you’ll always have those who are doing B2Bs, it’s just not fun or fair to have spoilsports ruining it by cheating. 

• Like 1

On 10/16/2019 at 3:56 PM, dns20 said:

Does Crown Princess really have on demand TV now?  This must be a recent upgrade.

They had it installed last Feb and possibly even before that.

4 hours ago, cruisequeen4ever said:

Great blog; thank you for taking us along! I really hope they make the cruises staffers have new trivia questions each cruise. Now that so many cruises are marketed as multiple lengths, and then you’ll always have those who are doing B2Bs, it’s just not fun or fair to have spoilsports ruining it by cheating. 

We sat near a group a few times who always seemed to have most of the answers if not all of them, even if they asked the most difficult questions. It became obvious that something wasn't right. 

On the Crown they never varied the questions and even the game shows has the same words/skits from cruise to cruise. 

Oh well, they were still funny. 

Especially when some of the answers aren't right, such as the number of concertos that Mozart wrote. The only way someone would get that right was to have heard the wrong answer on a previous cruise.

But we still had a good time. I view trivia as a test of my knowledge and a chance to meet some nice people. The fact that we managed to win a few times made it nice.

I'm booked on my next cruise now--a solo turn this time on the Caribbean Princess doing a partial Panama Canal cruise in December. DH will stay home to work. 

1 hour ago, geoherb said:

Especially when some of the answers aren't right, such as the number of concertos that Mozart wrote. The only way someone would get that right was to have heard the wrong answer on a previous cruise.

Wait- let me google that. :classic_smile:

8 hours ago, geoherb said:

Google won't help you. The answer the host had was 23. That's the number of original piano concertos he wrote. He also wrote concertos for other instruments.

?? Google gives an answer of "Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart wrote 23 original concertos for piano and orchestra. "