Long haul flight to Europe -- cardigan dilemma

cruisemom42

Hi girls:classic_smile:.  I love this topic. Cynthia, first, the pants you described would be they type I would wear on that flight, maybe not that exact pant but I do love a soft pant for a long flight.  As for the top? I always travel with a cardigan. Normally I wear a 3/4 sleeve top. Not what I consider a t shirt but a top, usually a

a 3/4 sleeve top...normally a cotton blend. I fly out 2 weeks from TODAY:classic_biggrin:Flying

from here to Venice, Italy so that will be about 8 hours. I am very interested in the responses!

I will say I never wear skirts on a flight and I have just finished another spring cleaning of clothing and

don't own any skirts!

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Lois R said:

Hi girls:classic_smile:.  I love this topic. Cynthia, first, the pants you described would be they type I would wear on that flight, maybe not that exact pant but I do love a soft pant for a long flight.  As for the top? I always travel with a cardigan. Normally I wear a 3/4 sleeve top. Not what I consider a t shirt but a top, usually a

a 3/4 sleeve top...normally a cotton blend. I fly out 2 weeks from TODAY:classic_biggrin:Flying

from here to Venice, Italy so that will be about 8 hours. I am very interested in the responses!

I will say I never wear skirts on a flight and I have just finished another spring cleaning of clothing and

don't own any skirts!

Here's one of the two skirts I have except mine's black. 

BOBEAU Ruched Waist Side Slit Maxi Skirt, Main, color, 091

With a tunic length top, either half or long sleeve.  I'll be wearing this in December when we fly from Reno to SF to Houston to Rio de Janeiro.  In Rio it will be super hot.  I'll likely pack a loose white tee in my carry on to change into before cabbing to our hotel.  It will be winter at the beginning and end and I came up with something *I* thought was pretty clever on a previous trip🙂  I have a knee length North Face down jacket/coat.  Once we got going I put it in a pillow case I had brought and I had a GREAT pillow for the flight from SFO/LGW.

1 hour ago, clo said:

Here's one of the two skirts I have except mine's black. 

BOBEAU Ruched Waist Side Slit Maxi Skirt, Main, color, 091

With a tunic length top, either half or long sleeve.  I'll be wearing this in December when we fly from Reno to SF to Houston to Rio de Janeiro.  In Rio it will be super hot.  I'll likely pack a loose white tee in my carry on to change into before cabbing to our hotel.  It will be winter at the beginning and end and I came up with something *I* thought was pretty clever on a previous trip🙂  I have a knee length North Face down jacket/coat.  Once we got going I put it in a pillow case I had brought and I had a GREAT pillow for the flight from SFO/LGW.

Glad that it works for you.  Not something I would wear. (at home or on vacation). Not sure why you quoted my post though.

On ‎9‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 11:30 AM, CutieKakes said:

I think a cashmere hoodie would be great...I think almost any type of sweater would work with the pants you describe.

I don't wear a lot of colors, so I probably won't be any help.  🙂 I'm a neutral gal in terms of clothing...and I do like the long duster cardigans that are back in style.  I have 3 from Banana Republic that I've been wearing the heck out of lately.  They're nice and thin, but warm and don't feel too bulky to me.  I don't like pockets on my clothes, and these work for me with slash pockets as opposed to obvious patch pockets that you see on a lot of sweaters lately.

https://bananarepublic.gap.com/browse/product.do?pid=492412032&pcid=999#pdp-page-content

How do you feel about waterfall cardigans?  I have 3 of these too from Banana Republic (hey, I find something I like and I tend to buy all the neutral colors LOL).  I bought these last year and love them...

https://bananarepublic.gap.com/browse/product.do?pid=501070022&pcid=999#pdp-page-content

or a boyfriend cardigan?

https://bananarepublic.gap.com/browse/product.do?pid=358496022&pcid=999#pdp-page-content

or a kimono style topper?  I have a couple from TJMaxx/Marshalls and Anthropologie in a variety of fabrics/colors/textures that are colorful, easy to wear and you feel put together.

https://www.anthropologie.com/kimonos-vests

I have a trip coming up to South America and I'm wearing my typical long flight outfit of black ponte leggings, white or gray tank, cardigan (long duster type or waterfall) and ballet flats.  I always have a lightweight cashmere scarf...I have about 8 colors of those ones from Restoration Hardware, love them.

Have fun on your trip!

I love the 2nd and 3rd pictures.  The duster is too long for me. But I love that Waterfall and the last one looks like a classic!

23 hours ago, Bizmark'sMom said:

My rain slicker is really breathable, so it does work. I drape it over myself kind of like a blanket.  (I used to backpack quite a bit, so got used to making the gear I happened to have with me work for whatever the situation was.)

I wish my feet were happy in Rothys.  I need more support than they provide, so my travel shoes are heavy -- Dansko and Naot are my go-to brands.

You might have good luck with Tieks.  Similar to Rothys in styling and color/pattern options, but with more arch support.  I have high arches so I, sadly, can’t wear Rothys at all.

Hi Lois -- I didn't realize your trip was getting so close. This is the river cruise (on the ship that was involved in the cruise ship "fender bender" earlier this year) right?  I know you will have a wonderful time, sounds like an interesting itinerary.

clo -- your skirt looks very comfy, but I am not the most graceful person (on an earlier thread I was mentioning how I'm the one who always manages to get the ends of her scarf in the soup....) and I could just imagine myself tripping on the hem -- or worse, dragging the floor in the airplane bathroom with it. :classic_blush:  It looks great for travel though, especially in black.

42 minutes ago, aungrl said:

You might have good luck with Tieks.  Similar to Rothys in styling and color/pattern options, but with more arch support.  I have high arches so I, sadly, can’t wear Rothys at all.

I've eyed Tieks online. Of course, I like that they're Italian. 😍

I do have a pair of Cole Haan Grand ballet flats. They are pretty comfortable for ultra flat shoes, but I think I'm beyond the age of being able to walk extensively in them. Mind you, I used to walk all over Rome in thin-soled leather (Italian!) loafers. No longer...

Now these, on the other hand, I'm considering:  https://www.colehaan.com/grand-horizon-slip-on-loafer-black-suede/W08648.html

2 hours ago, Lois R said:

Glad that it works for you.  Not something I would wear. (at home or on vacation). Not sure why you quoted my post though.

Here's why:

"I will say I never wear skirts on a flight and I have just finished another spring cleaning of clothing and

don't own any skirts!"

16 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

Hi Lois -- I didn't realize your trip was getting so close. This is the river cruise (on the ship that was involved in the cruise ship "fender bender" earlier this year) right?  I know you will have a wonderful time, sounds like an interesting itinerary.

clo -- your skirt looks very comfy, but I am not the most graceful person (on an earlier thread I was mentioning how I'm the one who always manages to get the ends of her scarf in the soup....) and I could just imagine myself tripping on the hem -- or worse, dragging the floor in the airplane bathroom with it. :classic_blush:  It looks great for travel though, especially in black.

I'm actually going to have it hemmed up by several inches 🙂  More below the calf.

Edited by clo

10 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

I've eyed Tieks online. Of course, I like that they're Italian. 😍

I do have a pair of Cole Haan Grand ballet flats. They are pretty comfortable for ultra flat shoes, but I think I'm beyond the age of being able to walk extensively in them. Mind you, I used to walk all over Rome in thin-soled leather (Italian!) loafers. No longer...

Now these, on the other hand, I'm considering:  https://www.colehaan.com/grand-horizon-slip-on-loafer-black-suede/W08648.html

Love these!  And I’ll bet they would be super-comfortable for walking, too.  I may have to order a pair myself to try.  Thanks for posting the link.   

1 hour ago, Alaskanb said:

My travel clothes are grungy and need washing after a long journey so I take something that is easy to launder. 

Last couple of intl. flights I've actually carried a non-terry cloth dish towel that I use as a bib for dinner.  No joke 🙂  It can get pretty cramped and that way I can dribble to my heart's content.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Lois R said:

I love the 2nd and 3rd pictures.  The duster is too long for me. But I love that Waterfall and the last one looks like a classic!

I really like the waterfall ones, I didn't think I would, because I've tried on other waterfall style cardigans and just felt there was too much fabric in the front (looking at you Talbot's), and it was just unflattering on me.

These ones though, from BR, lie nicely and the fabric is great - flows nicely, doesn't wrinkle etc

• Like 1

Guest maddycat

I have several cardigans from Macy's that I love and wear all year.  They're light weight but warm and wash well.

https://www.macys.com/shop/product/karen-scott-crew-neck-cardigan-created-for-macys?ID=10172598&CategoryID=260&swatchColor=Blush

I also like the idea of you wearing your black hoodie with a bright colored 3/4 or long sleeve t-shirt. 

Just to add my ten pence (cents) worth i also prefer to travel in dark colours usually navy blue cotton/linen mix pants with a vest underneath a long sleeved top accompanied with a wrap and Sketchers as footwear as they're easy to kick off and get back on (i suffer from restless feet on longer flights). 

Last time i travelled in caramel coloured pants and cream top i got coffee spilled over me....not pretty...lesson learnt dark colours it is!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, 2BACRUISER said:

Last time i travelled in caramel coloured pants and cream top i got coffee spilled over me....not pretty...lesson learnt dark colours it is!

Oh I've had it all happen to me during airplane dining --  from an errant spray of olive oil landing on my sleeve when opening my salad dressing packet to (the worst), a cup of orange juice literally exploding in my general direction as I tried to gingerly pull off the aluminum cover....

One trick I learned from a colleague is to wear a shirt or shell that can be reversed front-to-back. This has saved me on a couple of occasions at work and also after the "orange juice" episode, until I could get to my hotel and change clothes. With some kind of cardigan or jacket over it, no one is the wiser....

I also on long-haul flights always bring an extra top in my carry-on bag.

Edited by cruisemom42
  • Like 1

Thanks everybody for the ideas/comments/suggestions!

Of course, Eileen Fisher just happened to have a pop-up sale this weekend, and I saw a merino box-top sweater that I had previously had my eye on for a great sale price. It's a pullover, not a cardigan, but pullovers seem to rule the market this year and last, and at least in my mind, they go well with the EF joggers.  I ordered a size up to make sure it looks intentionally oversized....  I do love EF merino as it is light and generally pretty durable.

I also ordered two colors to see which works better. While waiting for them to arrive I put together these ideas based on the different colors. All the pieces (except the sweaters) I already own, or own something quite similar. What do you think?

image.png.b067c57cd02e23016d3d59c7e156a2d9.png

In the second outfit I was trying to NOT use a scarf since I find them a little fiddly on a long trip. (I know I could always take it off and I probably would....). But I have the exact scarf in image #1 and just think it would tie the whole look together. In outfit #2, the Chan Luu beaded ribbon/scarf can be worn as a necklace or wrapped as a bracelet...

image.png.f7b45b9bdc255a4d53355deecd5935e3.png

• Like 1

WOW!  Cruisemom42

great outfits!  I prefer the top one....I know, I know the scarf gets in the way, but you could tuck the ends in the sweater when eating?  I don't wear scarves often, but on a plane I use one as a shawl, just an extra layer. 

With  my coloring (winter/ice) the bottom would be better for me, but I like the style of the top sweater better. You scored a great sale!

BYW... Have you tried Vionics?  They have great flats. They also sell reasonably priced inserts that I put into my lower priced shoes. 

Youll look marvelous!

k

14 minutes ago, GrammieK said:

WOW!  Cruisemom42

great outfits!  I prefer the top one....I know, I know the scarf gets in the way, but you could tuck the ends in the sweater when eating?  I don't wear scarves often, but on a plane I use one as a shawl, just an extra layer. 

With  my coloring (winter/ice) the bottom would be better for me, but I like the style of the top sweater better. You scored a great sale!

BYW... Have you tried Vionics?  They have great flats. They also sell reasonably priced inserts that I put into my lower priced shoes. 

Youll look marvelous!

k

Oddly, both are the same sweater/same style. But like you I prefer the top one and I came to the conclusion that it's because it is more oversized....so that's why I ordered up a  size.  

I've had Vionic shoes. Some have worked for me and in others (like their flip-flops) the arch is just TOO aggressive. 

• Like 1

Cute outfits. I would be too hot in a merino pullover on an airplane (I have only been cold on airplanes twice in my life- and one of those times was actually a helicopter that was flying way too high without supplemental oxygen and I sort of passed out.) But anyway. Cute! Hope it works for you on the flight and the rest of the trip 😉

1 hour ago, GrammieK said:

I know, I know the scarf gets in the way, but you could tuck the ends in the sweater when eating?  I don't wear scarves often, but on a plane I use one as a shawl, just an extra layer. 

DS goes to school now in London...so I have been there all of twice now LOL...but because I don't often wear scarves, I have paid attention to people wearing scarves in London...because I like the look a lot, but get annoyed by them. Anyway...what I observed was that people were very practical with their scarves...and they would often remove them in restaurants and sometimes coffee shops too. Not just winter style scarves too...

I saw ladies drape them over their chairs...drape them over their handbags...tie them around the handles of their handbags...or just untie them and tuck the ends down their sides like the opening of a cardigan, if it was a long scarf.

This is all dependent on the scarf shape...but all in all...I saw very practical adjustments made throughout the day and in all circumstances. The women "worked" the scarves. I'm not much of a fashionista so I'm not well versed on much...but I've usually thought of a scarf as a necklace alternative...and something a bit more static in my outfit...and so I had a hard time wearing them...but since feeling the freedom to work the scarf and not worry so much about it being just so...I've had a lot more fun with it...seems less fussy to me now...it's a very helpful tool.

• Like 2