Transatlantic on AZ?

macmax

There are a lot of activities organised, quizzes, speakers (well usually Pursuit had a glitch), sometimes afternoon concerts plus usually water colour classes or bridge instructors.  There is also a number of board games in the living room you can informally set up with other guests (e.g. scrabble, monopoly, backgammon, there are Mah Jong sets..... or you can just do nothing read books and chill out

Edited by uktog

I forgot to say on my last TA the magician who did the show did some magic classes teaching you tricks to impress your grandkids , it was fun and many of us spent some time practising.  Sometimes they have a High seas choir but that needs a singer to run it and they may be used elsewhere as Azamara now have fewer entertainment staff.  There are less activities than say on Celebrity but it is still enjoyable.

On our westbound this year from Rio to Lisbon we had a very well attended Progressive Trivia. I think there were about 18 teams of 8. Other Trivia’s morning and evening too. Also a great High Seas Choir. There are usually 2 or 3 different lecturers plus some movies. Just love all the sea days. 

2 hours ago, cinnamon said:

On our westbound this year from Rio to Lisbon we had a very well attended Progressive Trivia. I think there were about 18 teams of 8. Other Trivia’s morning and evening too. Also a great High Seas Choir. There are usually 2 or 3 different lecturers plus some movies. Just love all the sea days. 

On voyages with lots of sea days there are usually extra activities scheduled as well as additional enhancement lecturers. I too love the sea days. 

3 hours ago, cinnamon said:

I’ve never played trivia.  I know some people are quite serious.  I’m hoping there are groups that do it just for the fun of it.  .

6 hours ago, midwestchick said:

I’ve never played trivia.  I know some people are quite serious.  I’m hoping there are groups that do it just for the fun of it.  .

My experience the serious bickering happens at the Progressive Trivia. If it worries you just go to the ordinary events eg the 0930 trivia or the music trivia etc. 

7 hours ago, BBMacLaird said:

On voyages with lots of sea days there are usually extra activities scheduled as well as additional enhancement lecturers. I too love the sea days. 

I hope they do this this time and have decent lecturers as that was a big disappointment last year.  

The entertainment staff were also very stretched given the reduced numbers to support all the activities - are they getting additional help on the TA as they are also the singers and dancers and had to do a lot of rehearsals as well last year and some fell ill and there was no cover. 

7 hours ago, midwestchick said:

I always play for the enjoyment.  I won’t be part of a team that doesn’t and always join in with people I know.  Depending upon the cruise it can be a lot of fun, fun but competitive or just too tense with the know alls thinking it’s life or death and that we’re playing for  free cruise rather than a tee shirt and a pen.

Last Progressive Trivia I did was a LOT of fun.  I was on Corinne's (cinnamon's) team.  We didn’t win, but the whole atmosphere in the room was great.

Phil

• Like 3

6 hours ago, excitedofharpenden said:

I always play for the enjoyment.  I won’t be part of a team that doesn’t and always join in with people I know.  Depending upon the cruise it can be a lot of fun, fun but competitive or just too tense with the know alls thinking it’s life or death and that we’re playing for  free cruise rather than a tee shirt and a pen.

Last Progressive Trivia I did was a LOT of fun.  I was on Corinne's (cinnamon's) team.  We didn’t win, but the whole atmosphere in the room was great.

Phil

Thanks Phil. Good to know.  We just want to have a good time minus the seriousness.  There was a guy on one of our cruises who cheated his way through trivia.  One of our friends told us about it.  

7 hours ago, uktog said:

My experience the serious bickering happens at the Progressive Trivia. If it worries you just go to the ordinary events eg the 0930 trivia or the music trivia etc. 

Thanks for the heads up.  I’ll be packing a deck of cards and a fun game called Shut the Box.  As few as two can play that.

51 minutes ago, midwestchick said:

Thanks Phil. Good to know.  We just want to have a good time minus the seriousness.  There was a guy on one of our cruises who cheated his way through trivia.  One of our friends told us about it.  

It happens all the time.  Its not helped when they do not generate any new questions on our TA last year we had the same questions in progressive trivia as they had used the cruise before.  Trouble is we have too much fun at noon trivia (cocktails bloody marys and bloody caesars are the essential pre quiz order) so we couldn't even remember the answers from the week before but another team had a note of all the answers!

Like Phil I only now do progressive trivia with people I have played with before - as none of them will be on our next cruise, I won't be playing 

I've seen cheating in the afternoon trivia where they put no answer and then write it in after the answer is given and claim it. Then there are the group marking their own papers and when the answers are given out they say "Oh yes. Now I remember" or "Oh darn I meant that" and then they get 20 out of 20. It's hilarious. 

Phil 

Sad especially as in the morning and afternoon trivia the winners only get an extra stamp on their card.

As an aside wonder when they will get new prizes items as we noticed last week all that was available was old logo stuff and some had been in the cupboard for a very long time.  I did not bother to cash in, even though (gloat gloat) I got stamps for taking part in brisk exercise walks round the deck

1 hour ago, excitedofharpenden said:

I've seen cheating in the afternoon trivia where they put no answer and then write it in after the answer is given and claim it. Then there are the group marking their own papers and when the answers are given out they say "Oh yes. Now I remember" or "Oh darn I meant that" and then they get 20 out of 20. It's hilarious. 

Phil 

Sad really.  And these are adults??????  SMH 🤦‍♀️ 🤦‍♀️ 🤦‍♀️

51 minutes ago, uktog said:

Sad especially as in the morning and afternoon trivia the winners only get an extra stamp on their card.

As an aside wonder when they will get new prizes items as we noticed last week all that was available was old logo stuff and some had been in the cupboard for a very long time.  I did not bother to cash in, even though (gloat gloat) I got stamps for taking part in brisk exercise walks round the deck

I can do walks.  I don’t want junk to bring back home. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, midwestchick said:

I can do walks.  I don’t want junk to bring back home. 

Some of the old items e.g. the magnetic wall clip were very useful and now live in our standard cruise packing pouch that come out every cruise and are godsends for keeping the room tidy and an agreed place for calendars, vouchers, invitations etc

• Like 1

Yes, especially if you need the cruise staff to keep you occupied and entertained.

Some of us enjoy being away from the rat race and enjoy doing what we want when we want.   The other passengers are entertainment enough.   We always meet wonderful people we would never have met in our home areas.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, uktog said:

Some of the old items e.g. the magnetic wall clip were very useful and now live in our standard cruise packing pouch that come out every cruise and are godsends for keeping the room tidy and an agreed place for calendars, vouchers, invitations etc

I have magnets that I purchased and they are in my bag with must have cruise items.  I like the room to be neat and tidy.  Have to agree they are a Godsend.