Repo from Bos. to FLL - port or starboard?

LadyBerard

Ships dock are different piers, face different directions and so on. No way of knowing ahead. 

If you are cruising with family or friends, have each pick a SR on the opposite ship’s side. That way, you have different views and you can share. We do that all the time when traveling with others. Unless you are big on getting SRs next to each other and opening balconies up to have larger ones, I’d suggest that. Personally, I’m not into have a common balcony or even next door family/friends. Nice to have a bit of private space and separation without being on top of each other all the time. 

Den

We actually went to the ABC islands this past Jan. on Jewel OTS, but that sailed out of Miami.  I don't remember which way the ship docked at the islands though.  I know when we cruise to Bermuda, the ship doesn't always dock the same way either.

42 minutes ago, Gordoncruickshank said:

We have been in the abc islands a number of times and every time we have been there the ship has docked on the Port side.

That has been my experience with the ABC's as well.

I've only sailed into Key West once, but I've seen docked cruise ships when visiting on other occasions. In each case, the ships were docked on the starboard side, but that's a pretty small sample and by no means conclusive.

In San Juan, you are docked either bow or stern facing the port. You will probably have a another ship alongside, so it's impossible to predict which will give you a better view.

I'd go with a port or aft cabin.

3 hours ago, Fouremco said:

That has been my experience with the ABC's as well.

I've only sailed into Key West once, but I've seen docked cruise ships when visiting on other occasions. In each case, the ships were docked on the starboard side, but that's a pretty small sample and by no means conclusive.

In San Juan, you are docked either bow or stern facing the port. You will probably have a another ship alongside, so it's impossible to predict which will give you a better view.

I'd go with a port or aft cabin.

I have only been in Key West and San Juan once so I can’t make any comments but I suspect that the ship can be either way. I have been in Aruba 10 times and the ship has always been with the island at port and we have been in Curacao around 6 times and the ship has always been the same way.

Since you are sailing from Boston and obviously have several sea days before you reach the islands, I would concentrate more on whether you want the morning sun coming in your balcony doors or the afternoon soon coming in as you sail south.  Often, the side that faces port when you dock depends on port times, the preference of the captain, other ships in port that day, etc, etc.

Edited by ecslady
  • Like 1

I always pick starboard unless you are on a cruise leaving Venice.  There is smoking on the promenade deck on the port side and I prefer to stay away from any possibility of smoke coming up to my balcony.  If I'm leaving Venice, I would select a balcony forward of the promenade deck on the port side.

Edited by ipeeinthepool

6 hours ago, Gordoncruickshank said:

We have been in the abc islands a number of times and every time we have been there the ship has docked on the Port side.

Our experience on several ABC island cruises on Eclipse was just the opposite, starboard faced land.  Guess you just need to flip a coin.  San Juan is easy, ship docks head in, facing the old city.  harbor and airport are on starboard, part of old city and harbor entrance on port side.