Slipping a 20 to get on board quicker.

Nutsok

1 hour ago, cruisegirl1 said:

Don't we have that already.   Key program is quite popular and offered by RCCL for those who want to  buy  their way to the head of the class.   No need to book a suite or get to a certain loyalty level for some of the perks.  Just buy Key program offered by RCCL.  Seem like the same thing to me.  I am not endorsing the key program, just stating the facts.  

M

14 minutes ago, vacationlover_mn said:

I don’t book early- always noon or after, but I still get anxious.

My concern was with bribing one of the workers as the original post stated.

9 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

Laura was just on a Miracle flight from SJ to MCO. Around 20 groups boarded early with wheel chairs. Most were 'healed' when it was time to depart. 

Praise the Lord.

I see this happen every time I fly.

Why spend money on Doctors?

Just take a flight!

Its a miracle! Hallelujah!!!!

• Haha 1

Tipping is one thing. Bribing is something else, like a crime. I’m from the old school; work hard, follow rules and treat people right. Asking someone to break rules to do you a favor or give you special privilege is wrong as far as I am concerned. 

15 hours ago, davekathy said:

Sure it will. Not sure why you would want to pay $20.00 for a BP drink. 😜

Why there is a tippers stash of liquor. The non tippers get the cheaper booze poured into the expensive bottles. So after the first round of the bar tender feels you are rude or too tipsy to notice they will give you the cheap swill . The same goes at Cafe Promenade with coffee don't tip well then you get decaf coffee.🤩

• Haha 1

I don't see many people take advantage of the "preboarding" (needing more time) experience.  A few weeks ago I flew up to MSP to pick up my puppy.  Those sherpa carriers fit well under the seat, but there is really no way you can easily get them under the seat without sliding them in from the aisle.  I practiced on the way up with an empty sherpa.  On the way home I asked the ticket person if I could use the preboarding time to go ahead of the others to make sure I could slide Poppy's sherpa in from the aisle, and they said yes.  It was much easier.  Of course I had let all the gate people hold Poppy and get puppy kisses first.  I swear they really need therapy dogs at the airports.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

Laura was just on a Miracle flight from SJ to MCO. Around 20 groups boarded early with wheel chairs. Most were 'healed' when it was time to depart. 

Praise the Lord.

First a caveat, I am sure that you have never made fun of the "miracle" kids or adults on a plane, but just wanted to give some insight why some people may seem to miraculously be cured on a plane, especially on flights to MCO.

I travel with an adaptive sports team, 20+ children and young adults with special needs. We travel all over the country, but mostly to MCO which hosts the biggest competitions along with the ICU and USASF World Championships (Cheer is now a provisional summer Olympic sport and the ICU World Championships are held in Orlando.) Disney has built a venue specifically for cheer competitions and cheer is one of the only sports, especially an Olympic sport, that includes multiple Special Ability divisions in their competitions. Most of our athletes can get out of their chair for very short distances but definitely cannot walk the long distances of the airport.  

They use their chairs to maneuver the distances of the airport. Since they need their chairs as soon as they get off the plane, they have to gate check them. The airlines make them pre-board since gate checking takes so much time and would hold up the regular boarding lines. They ride their chairs to plane door, gate check the chairs with the maintenance people who take the chairs, then walk to their seat. When the plane lands, they walk out the plane and wait just out the door for their chairs to be delivered.  The airlines make them pre-board so that they can gate check the chairs.  

Every parent I know would be more than happy to board during regular boarding but the airlines insist they pre-board because of the time it takes to gate check the chairs.

Most of the time it is not a "miracle" but chair bound people following airline rules.  I hate when I see our kids ridiculed because they can walk the few steps to the door of the plane to wait for their wheelchairs to be delivered. And yes, as we have waited for the chairs, I have heard many snide comments.

MCO has a large contingent of special needs athletes arriving constantly due to the numerous tournaments and competitions at Wide World of Sports.  Chances are you might have a larger group of people in chairs at any one time.  When we were there in May there were several hundred participants in the special abilities divisions from all over the world.  Many of our adult athletes, you would have no idea that they even have a disability and you would have no idea that they would be getting in their chairs so I can understand people thinking they may be "scamming" the system but in reality they are just following airline rules.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, cured said:

First a caveat, I am sure that you have never made fun of the "miracle" kids or adults on a plane, but just wanted to give some insight why some people may seem to miraculously be cured on a plane, especially on flights to MCO.

I travel with an adaptive sports team, 20+ children and young adults with special needs. We travel all over the country, but mostly to MCO which hosts the biggest competitions along with the ICU and USASF World Championships (Cheer is now a provisional summer Olympic sport and the ICU World Championships are held in Orlando.) Disney has built a venue specifically for cheer competitions and cheer is one of the only sports, especially an Olympic sport, that includes multiple Special Ability divisions in their competitions. Most of our athletes can get out of their chair for very short distances but definitely cannot walk the long distances of the airport.  

They use their chairs to maneuver the distances of the airport. Since they need their chairs as soon as they get off the plane, they have to gate check them. The airlines make them pre-board since gate checking takes so much time and would hold up the regular boarding lines. They ride their chairs to plane door, gate check the chairs with the maintenance people who take the chairs, then walk to their seat. When the plane lands, they walk out the plane and wait just out the door for their chairs to be delivered.  The airlines make them pre-board so that they can gate check the chairs.  

Every parent I know would be more than happy to board during regular boarding but the airlines insist they pre-board because of the time it takes to gate check the chairs.

Most of the time it is not a "miracle" but chair bound people following airline rules.  I hate when I see our kids ridiculed because they can walk the few steps to the door of the plane to wait for their wheelchairs to be delivered. And yes, as we have waited for the chairs, I have heard many snide comments.

MCO has a large contingent of special needs athletes arriving constantly due to the numerous tournaments and competitions at Wide World of Sports.  Chances are you might have a larger group of people in chairs at any one time.  When we were there in May there were several hundred participants in the special abilities divisions from all over the world.  Many of our adult athletes, you would have no idea that they even have a disability and you would have no idea that they would be getting in their chairs so I can understand people thinking they may be "scamming" the system but in reality they are just following airline rules.

Thank you for the insight.

20 hours ago, swoopy2110 said:

I'm so glad we don't do this whole 'tipping' thing in the UK .. this is getting ridiculous 😂

Sure you do, in London and the SE they add a tip (service charge) to every meal.  12.5%

• Like 1

My husband is quadriplegic and wheelchair dependant.  Trust me, if he didn't need a wheelchair I am sure he would love more than anything to get rid of it.  I do know there are many people who abuse the disability system and resources but please don't make fun of people you see in a wheelchair.  You don't know their circumstances.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, atush said:

Sure you do, in London and the SE they add a tip (service charge) to every meal.  12.5%

Wow! really.. I barely go near London so definitely not used to that. Tend to see on menus "Parties of 8 or more will have 10% added to the bill" but not much else really.

This thread is about giving someone $20 to get them onto the ship about 15 minutes earlier than they're supposed to be getting on which just seems crackers to me.

23 hours ago, swoopy2110 said:

I'm so glad we don't do this whole 'tipping' thing in the UK .. this is getting ridiculous 😂

What is being discussed here isn't tipping , it is bribing.  I would also go out on a limb and say that most most Americans do not participate.  I know I do not.  🙂

23 hours ago, swoopy2110 said:

What is being discussed here is not tipping, it is bribing.  I wold also go out on a limb , and say that most Americans do not participate.  I know I do not.  🙂

13 minutes ago, swoopy2110 said:

Wow! really.. I barely go near London so definitely not used to that. Tend to see on menus "Parties of 8 or more will have 10% added to the bill" but not much else really.

This thread is about giving someone $20 to get them onto the ship about 15 minutes earlier than they're supposed to be getting on which just seems crackers to me.

I agree its crackers. 

And we live in t he IOM too, and we have found the automatic service charges creeping north from London now.  We eat out alot when coming home from France every summer.

21 hours ago, robIsCruising said:

Only reason I could see is if they have only carry on bags and want to make sure there is still room left to stow their bag. 

If everyone (that is allowed carryon) would stick to a basic set rules:

1) carryon that is the correct size

2) they go in wheels first (jacket/coat on top of the bag if needed)

3) personal item fits under the seat in front of them

4) put the item in the bin above their own seat 

There wouldn't be an issue.

I recently observed a couple that each had 4 large shopping bags they wanted to "carry on". That's 8 total. Luckily the gate attendant spotted them and told them that wasn't going to work. I overheard her say they had "Basic Economy" which means only a personal item (purse, backpack or computer type bag). I didn't pay enough attention to see how it resolved but that is the kind of stuff the makes it difficult.

Edited by JennyB1977
  • Like 2

On 9/29/2019 at 8:28 AM, island lady said:

Always find it funny how so many are so anxious to be on board first before others.  

Then the same people are so anxious to get OFF the ship first before others.  

😂😵

What is funny about that?  Embarkation is a "cruise day" and people want to get onboard, grab a drink, jump in the pool, etc.  Disembarkation is the exact opposite.  So it makes perfect sense people want to get onboard first and off the ship first.

On embarkation day we are just sitting around the house waiting to head to the port.  So we just go early.  And it's nice to get started early.  On disembark day, there is no "fun" on the ship, it's all about getting everyone off. So we try and get off in the first self-assist groups and just get home.  Usually laundry is done before the last people are getting off the ship, and we have a full, fun day ahead of us at home before going back to work the next day.  Skip the crowds and nonsense in the morning.

Edited by BNBR
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, parrotfeathers said:

I don't see many people take advantage of the "preboarding" (needing more time) experience.  A few weeks ago I flew up to MSP to pick up my puppy.  Those sherpa carriers fit well under the seat, but there is really no way you can easily get them under the seat without sliding them in from the aisle.  I practiced on the way up with an empty sherpa.  On the way home I asked the ticket person if I could use the preboarding time to go ahead of the others to make sure I could slide Poppy's sherpa in from the aisle, and they said yes.  It was much easier.  Of course I had let all the gate people hold Poppy and get puppy kisses first.  I swear they really need therapy dogs at the airports.

Terminal 1 at MSP actually has that now 🙂 I flew in and out of there 9/20 and 9/23 and got to pet puppies.

• Like 1

Watched a guy in PE suite area hand the attendant some cash while waiting for the boarding call. He hung out at the entrance to the seating area and kept try to get others in his party to join him there. They sheepishly got up and joined him. We got a good laugh when he ended up behind wheel chairs and others needing assistance. He kept turning around to others in his party shrugging his shoulders and shaking his head. One other guy in his party was laughing at him.

Can't lie and am not sorry... we get the drink package and then cash tip the bartenders on top of the auto tip pretty much every or every other drink.  We do this as a show of appreciation but honestly, we get better service and nicer drinks.  It's good for us, it's good for them.  Nothing wrong with that.  

On 9/29/2019 at 3:04 PM, John&LaLa said:

Praise the Lord.

Not sure how they handle this in the US - but over here I have to order a wheelchair to get a needed seat reservation.....no wheelchair = no seat reservation -> totally stupid but they tied this together on most airlines...🙄

But  I am not using the wheelchair once I got may boarding-pass with the seat....!🤔👍

Since their first sailing My friends  have bn diamond - this is not the airline that will stop you and send you back once boarding started. Sabe your 20$ and join the diamond group 🤫

Edited by mcatmcat