Drinks Policy on Explorer

Belfast Taxman

The phrase “all inclusive” is one that Regent shouts out loud and proud, but I appreciate that there are limits. When it comes to alcohol there are a number of queries I have.

(1) wine - the Regent website does indicate the sort of wine served free in Chartreuse and that’s great, but I was wondering about the type and range of wines in other parts of the ship. Is there a wine list as such? I understand that there will be wine that you do have to pay for. For these wines how would you judge prices? Again is there a wine list for these premium wines? If anyone could provide examples of prices or links to lists that would be great

(2) spirits - again my query is about the borderline between free and premium. I don’t imagine the Louis XIII cognac is free, but what about, say, VSOP level. Any other examples would be lovely

(3) bottles - one of the perks of the top suites is full bar set up, but I hear that you can, in almost any cabin, ask for two full bottles of spirits. For example say Beefeater Gin and Bacardi Rum. Is that correct?

(4) mini bars - I hope for daily restocking here, is that truly likely? And can you arrange for, in a Concierge suite, particular items in your mini bar such as tonic water, Coke Zero etc to go with said bottles at (3)

finally can you order ice and a slice to your suite?

perhaps I should confirm at this stage that wifey and I are not alcoholics, but on occasion we do imbibe in moderation.

Edited by Belfast Taxman
  • Like 1

Hi,

in reply to

(1) the all inclusive wines are good and vary from restaurant to restaurant and day to day.The wines appear to be paired according to the type of restaurant (French/Italian) and obviously the food. If you do not like what is available you can always ask for something different. We have never felt the need to upgrade to any other wines and they are priced in $ and IMO are a little more than I would be used to paying in our local restaurants, but do accept that.

(2) There's great range of spirits and they are all of good quality so no real reason to spend unless you wish to. 

(3) We have always asked for and received a couple of bottles for our suite e.g. Bombay Sapphire and Grey Goose vodka and always presented with a smile from whoever is looking after your suite.

(4) Mini bar is topped up daily with whatever you ask for. Sometimes it may be wise to ask before departure for your specific preference of tonic e.g. Fever Tree, and if possible your request will be accommodated. Ice is best requested on a daily basis and of course a lemon.

Enjoy the cruise, the food and the drink.

You won't be disappointed.

1. We stay in Veranda cabins and I will call guest services 2-3 months before our cruise and let them know what liquor/wine/beer/soda we would like in our cabin.  It is usually there.  We have always had (without asking) a bucket of ice in our frig everyday.  When we run out of something, we leave a note for our attendant to let her know what we would like.

I would love to see a list of the inclusive wines on Explorer if anyone has it? I presume that in Compass Rose they suggest a red and a white on each evenings menu but is there anywhere where one can get a full list of inclusive wines to know what others are available? 

21 minutes ago, ClefsDor said:

I would love to see a list of the inclusive wines on Explorer if anyone has it? I presume that in Compass Rose they suggest a red and a white on each evenings menu but is there anywhere where one can get a full list of inclusive wines to know what others are available? 

Here’s the list of inclusive wines from our February and March Explorer cruises. There was a Provençal rose in addition plus a couple of other wines not on the list that are mentioned in my earlier post. (Wine List)   There may be some changes on your cruise but most of the wines on my list will probably still be there on your cruise.

Dave

Usually late morning of the first sea day there is a Wines of the World tasting that includes many of the included wines.  Suggest going to it so you can see what is offered and chat with the sommeliers.  If you have something you particularly like, they can direct you to other similar bottles.

Also, you can ask for any included wine at any venue (except apparently the Burgandy served in Chartreuse), so don't feel at all limited by what is suggested in Compass Rose each evening.

On my last cruise, my roommate was looking for a French style (dry not sweet) rose and hadn't found one.  The head sommelier (I Kadek) was able to find her one and sent a bottle to our suite.  Love sailing on Regent!

First thing I do when I arrive is take out things from the mini fridge that we don't drink, then let our room steward or stewardess know what we would like to have in there.  As MJ said above, I just leave a note if I need more or something different.

The included wines change all the time, so what may be available one cruise, may not be on the next.

I meet with our room attendant when we board and let them know what to stock in the fridge.  It is restocked daily. If you like a particular wine, they will bring a bottle to your suite.  We don't really drink spirits, so can't help with those questions.

They will take care of you and if there is anything you like but cannot find, just ask, you never know.

Ice should be replenished every day and if you need more just ask your steward or butler. And Room Service is 24/7.

We never ask for  bottles of alcohol in our suite. I know it's possible, but I know for a fact they will always throw the leftovers. Even if you only poured 1 glass. We just call room service when we feel like having a drink in our suite and they will bring it!

Just perfect!

• 2 weeks later...

If you ask for your favourite wine or spirit you generally get it. But they had run out of Petrus last time we sailed on Regent! However, i can still recall the excellent Sauternes they served with the pate in the old styled french restaurant. Don't be fobbed off with any alternative they offer. 

Lindsay C 

more experienced Regent cruisers will be able to give you a more definite answer, but as you will have noted in this thread, no matter what cabin you are in, you can request two bottles of spirits to your room, and I understand that you can have two bottles of wine instead  if you do not drink spirits.

whether you can order wine by the bottle after that, I am not sure, but believe that you can order by the bottle if you have lunch or dinner in your cabin

we always get 2 bottles of liquor and 1 bottle of wine. If you empty the bottles they will replace them. We request this from our stewardess when we first get to our suite but some say you can order through Regent in advance, especially in a PH and above

1 hour ago, LindsayC said:

Could someone inform me if it's possible to have a bottle of included wine in your cabin to drink? Or should you call room service and order wine by the glass?

you definitely can order a bottle of the included wine to be delivered to your room.  we often have enjoyed a wine and cheese tasting in our cabin.  if you have a butler, they will arrange this, otherwise you can order from room service.

When we have a special event - birthday, anniversary - we ask for a bottle of Veuve Clicquot for our suite.   Sometimes it is provided for free, courtesy of an officer.  At other times it is billed to our suite.  Cost is around $65 which is not outrageous.

I know this is your first Regent cruise - and that not only are you eagerly anticipating being on board but want to prepare for all eventualities!   My advice is - don't.   Let Regent take care of things as and when they arise.   You will be astonished at their professionalism.   No need to keep asking questions.  Just wait -- and enjoy!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Neither of us is a spirits drinker.  We are wine drinkers.  You should have no worries on this score.  You can even specify the varietal, if you desire.  We ask for water, cokes and two bottles of red.  We never seem to finish them.  

If we want a cocktail, we'll go out and have one made.  Neither of us can seem to mix a cocktail.