Princess gift cards- anyone use them?

WallyNDiane

3 hours ago, voljeep said:

do you have to 'earn points' first ...then exchange the 'points' for the right to buy discounted cards ?

49 minutes ago, Paula_MacFan said:

Yes, that's how the AARP Rewards program works.

Hmmmm... Earning points. I suppose one has to complete meaningless tasks on the web site in order to get points? Use their "tools" whether one wants or needs them?

I always ask for them for birthday and Christmas and use them onboard. It’s a bit of a hassle to take them to Pax Services to apply them to our onboard acct because each one takes a bit to process, and sometimes they don’t like doing it on Embarkation day. I’m so glad Princess started doing them, though, because they’re my favorite gift to receive!

On 10/2/2019 at 10:49 PM, WallyNDiane said:

A local grocery store owns gas/convenience stores. They sell Princess Cruise Lines gift cards. Buying gift cards lower the price of gas at those gas/convenience stores. We paid our deposit via credit card. Has anyone used Princess gift cards to either pay for the cruise or to pay your final settlement after excursions, drinks, specialty restaurants, etc?

Being retired, getting a fuel discount is a nice perk. But I don't know if there are any pitfalls in using Princess gift cards? Any advice?

We bought gift cards to pay our balance due today for our January cruise.  No problem.  And now we have lots of free gas in our future! 😊  You might want to let your credit card company know you're planning to do that though.  Such a big purchase at a grocery store raised a fraud alert I had to deal with to allow the sale go through.

A little over a year ago our son bought us a gift card for my birthday to use on an upcoming cruise. I had told him in passing that we had bought Carnival stock so he bought us a $150.00 Carnival gift card. 

Needless to say the Princess people told us we were completely out of luck, Carnival said seeing as we had aa gift card maybe we should switch cruise lines. I decided to write to the grand pobah of Carnival who did not have the common courtesy to respond to my letter or subsequent e-mails. I then decided to try Jan CEO of Princess. In this case she had one of her minions call me to tell me I was completely ______ of luck!

Superb customer service on both parts, especially the complete ignorance of Arnold Donald. At least Jan dispatched one of "her little people" to dismiss me.

Gives you a nice warm feeling about customer responsiveness!!!!

3 minutes ago, woodyq said:

A little over a year ago our son bought us a gift card for my birthday to use on an upcoming cruise. I had told him in passing that we had bought Carnival stock so he bought us a $150.00 Carnival gift card. 

Needless to say the Princess people told us we were completely out of luck, Carnival said seeing as we had aa gift card maybe we should switch cruise lines. I decided to write to the grand pobah of Carnival who did not have the common courtesy to respond to my letter or subsequent e-mails. I then decided to try Jan CEO of Princess. In this case she had one of her minions call me to tell me I was completely ______ of luck!

Superb customer service on both parts, especially the complete ignorance of Arnold Donald. At least Jan dispatched one of "her little people" to dismiss me.

Wow, If the CEOs of two cruise lines are ignorant, what do you call a son who buys you the wrong gift card?

• Like 2

Right now aarp rewards is extremely underwhelming. The previous program, Rewards for Good, was pretty good, and i learned about it from cruisecritic a few years ago. You did NOT have to be a member of aarp to buy the carnival gift cards. I saw Princess gift cards there before the changeover also. Since they rolled out their new program a few weeks ago, they have taken away non members ability to buy the cards, and also may put in restrictions as to how many members can buy-----but there are none to buy right now! I think they plan on bringing them back, because there has been an uproar on the site about this very topic. (mostly about the carnival ones.)

I learned about the Allstate program, seems good but I am not eligiable to join.

On 10/6/2019 at 3:45 PM, woodyq said:

Norwegian has the WORST customer service, and we probably will not travel with them again......I won't get into the story here. You can write letter after letter and be totally ignored. A friend of mine from cruisecritic also says the same and won't travel with them anymore either.  See my signature.

Edited by JoseyP

We bought a number of Gift cards on the internet through Princess for their Father's Day promotion.  Buy $500, get a $25 bonus card.  Since we booked through a travel agent, I had to give them the card nos. and they called Princess with the payment.  One $25 bonus card would not go through as payment.  After 2 phone calls to Princess from me they took care of crediting the $25  to our cruise.

On 10/4/2019 at 1:50 PM, Paula_MacFan said:

Yes, that's how the AARP Rewards program works.

How do you earn points in AARP? Nevermind - just googled it and got 3000 for signing up 🙂

Edited by CruiseVA

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/4/2019 at 7:45 AM, silversneakers said:

How do you get gift cards through Allstate?  Also, does anyone know if the Princess Visa card points offer a Princess gift card or just Carnival gift cards?

Go online to Allstaterewards.com. set up rewards account and then watch for codes from them in email to earn bonus points. Be sure to order them 30 days ahead if cruise. My current order has gotten delayed and not sure if they'LL arrive before I leave for cruise. If not, hubby who's not going can make a copy of front and back and receipt and nail them to me. Hopefully Princess can take a copy. If not, guess I need to get another cruise.....

I go to Krogers and purchase my cards with American Express and earn 1 mile per $$. I come home and make my payment to Princess. 2 to 4 points for each $$  for gas discount. We normally fill my husband’s truck up once a week for a $1.00 per gallon. Just used air miles for free tickeya  from Vancouver to Cincinnati. Now building points for Cincinnati to Anchorage. Princess web site is very user friendly.