The end of NCL? Andy Stuart is gone.

TheDougOut

On 10/3/2019 at 11:39 AM, eroller said:

Nowhere does it say “retirement” which indicates it might be forced.  I hope not. Andy is a great guy and has been part of NCL for decades.  He worked his way up and truly deserved to run NCL.  

I wish the announcement was about del Rio.  I would have zero issues with him stepping down. Probably my least favorite CEO of any cruise company.  

I have been hoping since I see FDR constantly bragging about fleecing the cruisers on the ship on CNBC that he would disappear. Instead he's still there and Andy is out. I wish the board would boot FDR. Andy did deserve to run NCLH. I think he would've steered it back towards customer service while balancing the bottom line-centric behavior the stock market dictates.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, CruisinMaterial said:

For those that recognize my user name over the years, my little profile picture used to be the OLD NCL logo. I changed it because I've lost hope for the cruise line. Andy's departure may well be the final straw. This past June when I sailed on the Epic, the changes to everything on the ship were just downright crazy. I know Andy isn't behind it.

The downward trend started when Sheehan combined Oceania and Regent with NCL to form NCLH and then went public with the company. He promptly left... some say he had to go... and then in walked Del Rio. FDR has made this cruise line all about the bottom line and putting silly things on the ships just to drive revenue. A cruise should have deck space to SUN and not have go-kart tracks. If you want that, stay on land. Now the entire top deck of Encore, a ship I will not be sailing on, is wasted with things to upsell you on. It's the completion of the FDR take over and bean counting he does.

I'm sure Andy is not retiring and I sure hope he doesn't have a non-compete clause. I would love to see him turn up at MSC which in just a few years will be kicking NCL's posterior to the grave. Andy has been nothing but kind the times I've seen him on the ships and he's worked his way up. I'm not sure what is causing him to go but the way the press release read, it doesn't seem like his choice. If anything, I bet the new builds coming out are likely a driving factor. I'm sure those will be charging you a quarter to use a public lavatory outside your room. If there's a way to charge, I'm sure FDR is designing the new fleet of ships to do so.

As for Andy's replacement... he doesn't seem like he'll be doing NCL any favors either. Good luck to NCL. To those looking around, MSC has a good status match and their product reminds me of the way NCL used to be before they went public and while they were building their brand. Some bumps in the road but they're getting better!

AMEN on ALL Counts!! Well put.  When my Cruise Next certs are used up in May, we will be strictly MSC customers until, if and when the pendulum swings back to a circa 2013-2014 culture.  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, CruisinMaterial said:

I have been hoping since I see FDR constantly bragging about fleecing the cruisers on the ship on CNBC that he would disappear. Instead he's still there and Andy is out. I wish the board would boot FDR. Andy did deserve to run NCLH. I think he would've steered it back towards customer service while balancing the bottom line-centric behavior the stock market dictates.

I am with you 100%.  Exactly how I feel. 

• Like 1

On 10/3/2019 at 7:40 PM, JohnIreland said:

Shares closed at $48 today.  So flat during a 5 year period where the DOW was up 35%.

Oh for heavens sake: have you paid attention to the market this year: NCL compared to the other mass marketed lines? It has done well. I do think this news may have had a short effect and may continue for a few days but overall the stock is doing fine considering. 

• Like 1

Having cruised for over 50 years, 10 of those years were spent cruising with Regent until FDR came upon the scene.

After implementing his idea of cruising, we never sailed with Regent again.

Maybe he's grown up since or maybe not, but if he mirrors his past performance, we will be gone from NCL as well. After our  cruise with Celebrity last month, their CEO just chased us away as well. This time it's no big deal since at our age, we don't have much more time for anything to be too concerned. But for those of you who are still climbing the mountain,  good luck.

The point is that the person at the top does make all the difference in the end result.

• Like 6

Its all about share price nothing more nothing less. For all you romantics (as I wish I was) I promise you that's all  that counts to the board. If you carry on booking despite all the changes then why would they care about us. They do not.

Yes I have shares in the company but I am also a cruiser and oh its changed.

I wish Andy Stuart the happiest and heathiest of retirements and who knows where he might turn up.

• Like 1

On 10/4/2019 at 2:19 PM, MrMike45 said:

I'm not sure how you could miss the potential of how this would affect you.  Unless you really are just needling for the sake of being a PITA

When you buy an appliance, or a car, or any tangible item that you take possession of immediately upon payment, the CEO of the company does not matter.  You researched the item, you decided it was the item you wanted, you paid for it, you took possession of it.  The only long term affect of the item might be the warranty, which a CEO legally cannot change.  

When you book a cruise, most people book months and/or years out in advance.  Cruise lines can (and do) always change policies and fees and add-ons.  You aren't going on the cruise the day after you pay for it. 

What if this new guy comes in and decides Anytime/Freestyle dining is no longer what NCL should be about?  And now has set dining times or forces you to pay to keep your freestyle/anytime dining option?  What if the cruise you booked is 12 months out, and over those 12 months, the new CEO decides to raise the DSC 3 times?  What if you booked the cruise expecting certain types of "included" entertainment or activities, and the new CEO decides to eliminate those or make them "pay to play"?  

Yes, if booked far enough out, the option to cancel at no penalty exists.  So that is one caveat.  But many of us have numerous NCL cruises under our belt, earning certain perks and discounts for our loyalty.  And if these potential changes affect the product we have loved and been loyal to over the years, those perks and discounts are essentially lost if we no longer enjoy the product and stop giving them our business.

All of this is speculation.  Nothing could change.  Or, Everything could change.  But this is a forum to discuss NCL cruising.  And changing the top of the food chain is a major major move that could affect everything from the top down.  

I agree with this reply . Andy has set the tone for so long. Indeed Freestyle is credited to him.

You  do not know the guy so best not comment. 

On 10/4/2019 at 6:25 AM, esm54687 said:

as I stated earlier in this thread...... the way everyone is stroking Andy with one hand and stabbing FDR with the other...... one would be happy that Andy is stepping down if he is just a patsy President / CEO who has zero authority to direct policy and direction for NCL and FDR is ramming these nickel & dime policies and charges down cruisers throats via Andy then he is just a "yes man".  I enjoy NCL and have many cruises with her but come on people...... Andy is just as responsible (if not more) for your complaints as FDR....... 

I always suspected Andy was a governor (speed limiter) to Del Rio's aggressive profit before customer satisfaction actions.  I have no definitive knowledge that this is true, but I'm reminded of the time Del Rio banned food in cabins.  It appeared (at least to me) Andy listened to the backlash and convinced Del Rio to reverse his stance.      https://www.usatoday.com/story/cruiselog/2015/05/26/norwegian-cruise-food-ban/27970863/

• Like 3

1 hour ago, mianmike said:

I always suspected Andy was a governor (speed limiter) to Del Rio's aggressive profit before customer satisfaction actions.  I have no definitive knowledge that this is true, but I'm reminded of the time Del Rio banned food in cabins.  It appeared (at least to me) Andy listened to the backlash and convinced Del Rio to reverse his stance.      https://www.usatoday.com/story/cruiselog/2015/05/26/norwegian-cruise-food-ban/27970863/

I think the food ban was a knee jerk reaction that FDR made when he saw the hallways were disgusting and littered with food......  I think any intern would've been able to forward customer comment cards and CC threads on how this was not good..   So by your count..... Andy reversed 1 thing that would've been reversed any way.  Where's Andy's "governorship" with all the other FDR complaints here on CC?? I think Andy gets a free pass when he really shouldn't be...... the President / CEO is not just a nameplate, it is a job that absolutely is directing policy and direction whether unpopular or popular. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, esm54687 said:

I think the food ban was a knee jerk reaction that FDR made when he saw the hallways were disgusting and littered with food......   

This act alone speaks volumes to how he leads.  Not impressed.  Like others that have listened to him on financial calls, I wasn't impressed.  The customer seemed to be something of a nuisance with the sole objective of parting with as much of their $$ as possible.  Of course all companies want to do that, but they have a little more tact in the way they go about and talk about it.   

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, esm54687 said:

I think the food ban was a knee jerk reaction that FDR made when he saw the hallways were disgusting and littered with food......  I think any intern would've been able to forward customer comment cards and CC threads on how this was not good..   So by your count..... Andy reversed 1 thing that would've been reversed any way.  Where's Andy's "governorship" with all the other FDR complaints here on CC?? I think Andy gets a free pass when he really shouldn't be...... the President / CEO is not just a nameplate, it is a job that absolutely is directing policy and direction whether unpopular or popular. 

We can only speculate as to Andy's influence with Del Rio, I suspect he had minimal impact. After listening to several investor conference calls I concluded Del Rio is hardheaded and laser focused on achieving a 2X increase in profits before 2020.  Del Rio views customers as nothing more than ATM's.  Andy was with NCL during the customer friendly years where loyalty was valued. I assume he retained some of that philosophy and he most likely didn't align with Del Rio's immediate profit first mantra. There's no telling if Andy was able to stop an immediate profit motivated customer unfriendly policy before it saw the light of day.  Hopefully Andy wasn't forced out.   We'll probably never know unless Andy writes a "tell all" book.  

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, mianmike said:

We can only speculate as to Andy's influence with Del Rio, I suspect he had minimal impact. After listening to several investor conference calls I concluded Del Rio is hardheaded and laser focused on achieving a 2X increase in profits before 2020.  Del Rio views customers as nothing more than ATM's.  Andy was with NCL during the customer friendly years where loyalty was valued. I assume he retained some of that philosophy and he most likely didn't align with Del Rio's immediate profit first mantra. There's no telling if Andy was able to stop an immediate profit motivated customer unfriendly policy before it saw the light of day.  Hopefully Andy wasn't forced out.   We'll probably never know unless Andy writes a "tell all" book.  

Well said.  You put my thoughts into words better than I could.  

If Andy ends up on the executive team of some rival cruise line, then we know he was forced out and this was no retirement.  Time will tell.  

• Like 1

On 10/3/2019 at 11:34 AM, kjquilts said:

andy's been with ncl for 30years.

now he's leaving. the press releases doesnt mention retiring. 

whats going on?

what major changes are coming next year that Andy disagrees with?

8 hours ago, fstuff1 said:

andy's been with ncl for 30years.

now he's leaving. the press releases doesnt mention retiring. 

whats going on?

what major changes are coming next year that Andy disagrees with?

We will just have to wait and see. My guess, nothing drastic, but time will tell. I am still shaking my head about the comments people are making about food in the cabins. Why? because other lines have now adopted the same policy: room service, you pay for it. No different than hotels who have a service charge for room service. 

I do agree, there is no mention of retiring, but I am guessing if he doesn't now he will work for some other cruise line that will be glad to hire him, but not for very long. He isn't exactly in an age group where companies are begging for your employment, not to mention, I am sure he got a nice buy out or early retirement offer, whatever 

16 hours ago, bmwman said:

I agree with this reply . Andy has set the tone for so long. Indeed Freestyle is credited to him.

Little confused, didn't Freestyle started in 2000, at least that is what I remember...could be wrong, and he was named president in 2015. Prior to that, he had held many positions at Norwegian including vice president of sales, global sales, passenger services, revenue management, and marketing and public relations.

35 minutes ago, NLH Arizona said:

Little confused, didn't Freestyle started in 2000, at least that is what I remember...could be wrong, and he was named president in 2015. Prior to that, he had held many positions at Norwegian including vice president of sales, global sales, passenger services, revenue management, and marketing and public relations.

That characterization is in the Press Release, see above.

2 hours ago, NLH Arizona said:

Still doesn't make it correct.

I agree, there is a possibility that the corporation that employed him for over 30 years is giving hime undue credit. Maybe they are lying so he can boost up his Resume and they can't skimp on any severance pay when he gets another job. 💰  Or perhaps he has some dirt on Del Rio.  🧨 🤯

Needless to say I'll giving the company's version  of Mr. Stuart's contributions to the company a lot more credence than some anonymous poster on an internet chat board. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, eroller said:

This act alone speaks volumes to how he leads.  Not impressed.  Like others that have listened to him on financial calls, I wasn't impressed.  The customer seemed to be something of a nuisance with the sole objective of parting with as much of their $$ as possible.  Of course all companies want to do that, but they have a little more tact in the way they go about and talk about it.   

I'm with you 100%. The calls and the CNBC interviews show how clueless FDR is about customer service and all about the bottom line. Hence why the ships have become increasingly unfriendly and all about the marketing ploys. Every cruise line has increased their marketing but NCL just drones on and on and on. Their announcements should be bedtime stories since they push so much upsells for anything from specialty restaurants to spa packages.

The cost of drinks under FDR has gone up exponentially. I don't drink enough to warrant the "Free at Sea" promos where the costs shoot up for the "room" by $50 on a short cruise to $250-$400 or more on voyages 7 days or longer per person just for the "free promotion" and then you pay another $250 or more in the gratuity for it. I book sail away rates because I only drink in the nightclub... so imagine my surprise when after a year away from NCL the cost of a Grey Goose and Sprite (single) was just shy of $20. Boston nightclubs rip people off, but that not bad... FDR needs a boot in the posterior right out the door.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, fstuff1 said:

with all of FDR's effort to increase the bottom line, ncl stock price is back to $48. 😮

has rcl and carnivale also dropped?

or just ncl?

actually NCL has had a much better year than RCL or Carnival. Carnival is way down, RCI is just below NCL and NCL is at the top since their low this year. They all took a beating after Cuba and then again, last week. When we purchased NCL stock about 5 or 6 years ago it was about $30 a share. It has gone as high as $60 since we purchased it, and yes, now down to $48. Our Carnival stock took such a beating over the years we sold it, but luckily still made money. 

A change in CEO won’t be the end of NCL. From my experience a change in CEO will mean changes. I saw a bunch of those change overs and reorganization’s. Sometimes the changes meant reinventing the wheel.  Sometimes change was good. Sometimes change was bad. None know now how this change will play out. Time will tell. People should chill.