Block Parties

As first time Regent cruisers the title had us slightly mystified.

Block parties bought images of prison blocks with passengers being released by blocks for a quick party.

so pleased when I actually read the thread😂.

We have frequented Azamara in the past as we prefer small cruise ships but nothing like this occurred on Quest or Journey.

I think we will be definitely be taking part 🍷

Didn’t make block party, last November but I am certainly going to join the fun this November.

i think it’s a lovely way to say hi, and gives you faces to remember for rest of cruise.

its nice all cruises aren’t the same, life would be very boring if they were.

you may go on the same ship, but there will always be new people to meet.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Foggyzx9r said:

As first time Regent cruisers the title had us slightly mystified.

Block parties bought images of prison blocks with passengers being released by blocks for a quick party.

That's funny, just another difference in vocabulary across the pond I guess.  Generally here in North America a "block" refers to the immediate neighbourhood around where you live.  It can also refer to a stretch of a street between crossing streets.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

That's funny, just another difference in vocabulary across the pond I guess.  Generally here in North America a "block" refers to the immediate neighbourhood around where you live.  It can also refer to a stretch of a street between crossing streets.

Our mystification comes from a friend of ours who is a prison officer in a local establishment for the wayward. Read that as Class A prisoners.

more on the OP topic, I think it is fabulous idea and now tradition. An easy way to meet and make new friends.

2 hours ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

My first time in Stockholm, an American asked the hotel desk clerk (whose English was excellent) how many blocks to a certain place.  The desk clerk had no idea what he meant. When the question was changed to how far, he answered in meters. We then explained to him the concept of a "block." He thought that that was an odd way to measure distance--after all, two cross streets can be just steps apart or many meters.

3 minutes ago, wishIweretravelling said:

My first time in Stockholm, an American asked the hotel desk clerk (whose English was excellent) how many blocks to a certain place.  The desk clerk had no idea what he meant. When the question was changed to how far, he answered in meters. We then explained to him the concept of a "block." He thought that that was an odd way to measure distance--after all, two cross streets can be just steps apart or many meters.

True, but most American cities, being younger, are laid out on a more grid-like pattern, especially in the ‘burbs, so it makes more sense here.  I know when I lived in Frankfurt, blocks were completely irrelevant, just like Stockholm.  Can you imagine trying to count blocks in Gamla Stan?  😂

1 hour ago, Foggyzx9r said:

Our mystification comes from a friend of ours who is a prison officer in a local establishment for the wayward.

I thought you were referring to “Prisoner: Cell Block H

(In the distant past we sent our convicts to Australia; more recently they retaliated by sending us that TV series 🤨)

We enjoy the Block Parties On Regent ships; some turn out better than others.