Block Parties

I don’t recall these events on Celebrity but it has been a while. I seem to recall drinks being served at first day “sail away”, probably not for free

On Regent

is there an “official” policy on these events?

what exactly might one involve?

when do they normally take place?

does the whole ship have one at the same time as Captain and CD go round the ship?

is it considered bad form not to take part? 

do you offer drinks to “neighbours” or simply byo?

is there anything I haven’t asked about this topic that I should have?

Block party is ship wide at 6pm. Bells will ring and everyone will come into the corridor with a wine glass. staff comes around with wine and canapes (and stay around for refills) and the Captain and CD go around. Up to you if you want to participate but its fun to meet your neighbors

• Like 1

We love the block party!  It's not held at sailaway but typically a few days into the cruise.  Just bring an empty wine glass into the corridor after you hear the bell, and meet your neighbors.  And, we have found that many folks linger way after the captain has greeted the guests, talking and laughing.  You don't have to participate,  but try it.  You may find that you enjoy yourselves!

I think the block parties are one of the most charming "customs" that Regent offers! I'm not aware of any other line that does this. You don't have to participate if you don't want to, but it's lots of fun! And since Regent is all inclusive (for almost everything short of very high end alcohol/wine) you don't need to spend another cent. Depending if you have any obc, and what kind it is, you could actually get off with Regent giving you cash.....

Give the block party a try!

Echoing the previous recommendations...  give it a try!  They are lots of fun.  I am usually not the type of person to participate in activities such as this, but I'm hooked on the Regent block party.  It is a great way to get acquainted with the guests near your suite - - the same people you'll be running into all throughout the cruise!

It is billed as "come as you are" since many are preparing for the cocktail hour after their day, so you just come out into the hall, even in a bathrobe if you like, and bring an empty wine glass or two.  There will be stewardesses serving wine.  And no, it's definitely NOT obligatory.

22 minutes ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

It is billed as "come as you are" since many are preparing for the cocktail hour after their day, so you just come out into the hall, even in a bathrobe if you like, and bring an empty wine glass or two.  There will be stewardesses serving wine.  And no, it's definitely NOT obligatory.

In a bathrobe after 6PM😂🤗😀

• Like 1

First time I encountered this - I thought - yuck.  And stayed in my suite.  Next time - I thought - well, maybe - and went out!   Surprise! No one bit me and I met some lovely neighbours.  And have been enjoying the Block Parties ever since.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

We do the block party every cruise, it’s not a big time investment and it’s nice to meet your neighbors.  I’ve attended in slacks and a jacket as well as in casual shorts and a Harley Davidson t-shirt.   And yes, I’ve seen bathrobes.

Great way to meet some people, both passengers and crew, and you can stay or go, no pressure.  Never hurts to pop out and say hello, I say.

• Like 1

My first Regent cruise will be next February, and looking forward to the Block Party.   The funny thing on my first experience (in Seabourn) is that I got to meet the next door neighbors, after I had inadvertently swiped my entry card in their slot several times and they had caught me ...Oh my!  We laughed, and toasted to ourselves several times at the party!!

There's no equivalent to this on Celebrity. We like it and join in every time. It's one of the few times when you get to meet your neighbours. And yes, some are already dressed for dinner, others not yet started and a few in dressing gowns - not that they were in evidence in the recent programme about Explorer! Everyone wanted to look their best for the camera and was already togged up. It's all very relaxed.

It's fun in a quirky sort of way.  Come as you are.  Lots of bath robes.  The only rule is to keep the bathrobe closed😎.  Anything else is acceptable.

I have to admit that I was not excited by the idea when I first heard it.  After having done one, it's charming and fun.  

21 hours ago, Gcto said:

Love the block party. Met some great people and it just adds to the "neighborhood". Last cruise though, out of 20 cabins, 4 couples showed up....  

Our recent one on an Alaska cruise on Mariner was not well attended either.  It was a very "strange" cruise all around compared to my 3 other Regent cruises..... no one wanted to share a table in Compass Rose, no one participated in the Social travelers group, little Block Party participation, and the ship was not full.  I commented to some staff about it, and all we could come up with was that it was 4th of July week and it was a 10 night cruise instead of the usual 7 for Alaska.

22 hours ago, Gcto said:

Love the block party. Met some great people and it just adds to the "neighborhood". Last cruise though, out of 20 cabins, 4 couples showed up....  

Those of us who have sailed Regent many, many times tend to skip the Block Party as well as the Captain's Reception.  Now that it has been brought up, we may attend the Block Party on our November cruise.

My parents are going on their first Regent cruise, a TA in April. They are looking forward to the block party. What made them choose Regent was the reputation of friendliness and potential interaction of fellow passengers. These type of threads are helpful in reinforcing what I have been telling them. I do hope people on their hall participate.

2 hours ago, travelwell said:

My parents are going on their first Regent cruise, a TA in April. They are looking forward to the block party. What made them choose Regent was the reputation of friendliness and potential interaction of fellow passengers. These type of threads are helpful in reinforcing what I have been telling them. I do hope people on their hall participate.

If they’re like us...and my parents...and my in-laws...they’ll be hooked.

We went once back in 2009 for a “one-time trip of a lifetime” and here we are 10 Regent cruises later with two more booked and another one on our radar.  Yeah, crack cocaine ain’t got nothin’ on addiction compared to Regent cruises.   😜

• Like 1

We always try to make the block party.  Even though we have done it several times, the block party is always new because we have new neighbors.  It is always nice for the rest of the cruise to then meet your neighbors in the hallways with a nice "hello" exchanged.

• Like 1

All:  

The Block Party venue has been "Explored" on earlier Threads--with responses approaching 180 degrees on the spectrum from affirmation, to apathy, to, who cares?  

We have been with Radisson/Regent off and on for 15+ years.  Can't specifically remember when this custom began.  But, it is one which we have not experienced on other similar lines such as Seabourn, Silversea, or Crystal.  We have made it a habit to attend each, when offered.   That included most-recent BTB on Explorer--Stockholm-Southampton; Southampton-Southampton.  Without exception, positive experiences.  Have learned that our cruise neighbors for that initial Stockholm-Southampton segment are, in fact, our real neighbors in the Redmond-Bellevue, WA area.   Small world.  

Over 10 years ago--when on a Voyager crossing from Auckland to Costa Rica, met our next-door neighbors, Robert and Mary, at the Block Party.  They had booked two adjoining suites next to ours, with the veranda "wall" removed, thus affording easy access for them from one to the other without having to go into the hallway.   This was an arrangement they had perfected when doing three previous World cruises on either Radisson/Regent or Cunard.  

In other words, world travelers with a lot more cruising experience.  Mary instantly "adopted" Sue as her daughter.  We subsequently established a friendship which extended for the next-several years when cruising either on Regent or Seabourn.  This included a memorable residential visit made to their Connecticut home.  I cannot overestimate my fond memories of conversations with Robert, a real gentleman--and 15+ years my senior. 

And--they gave us the heads-up to their TA, who quickly became our TA.  

So--we will certainly attend the next Party, aboard Splendor when cruising from San Diego to Miami in just a few months.  Hope to see some of you in our hallway.  

GOARMY!

• Like 2

Two things: The Block party was started by Jamie during an early World Cruise and is unique to Regent. A great way to meet your neighbors.

Mary and Robert were good friends of my husband and mine as well. I miss them both.

Peggy

Edited by xrvlcruiser
  • Like 1