Luminae New Menus (with photos)

tjunmin

Dear VT, you are so lovely in your reassurance to me that I will not be left languishing in a sad corner of Luminae without alcoholic refreshment, and I have been really impressed with your very helpful and comprehensive Edge reviews. 

But my point here is that I don’t want to have to merely tell the sommelier the generic type of wine that I want, but to have at least the same published options as afforded to those dining in Blu, of having clearly listed specific options within the Classic Package other than just the Rose. 

I shall resort to bringing a photocopy of the Blu wine list with me, and asking very sweetly and in my most dulcet and persuasive “Downton Abbey” tones for specific Classic Package offerings therefrom. 

Again, thank you so much for your wonderful insights into the delights that await us on the Edge. 

• Haha 2

19 hours ago, WorcesterPear said:

Dear VT, you are so lovely in your reassurance to me that I will not be left languishing in a sad corner of Luminae without alcoholic refreshment, and I have been really impressed with your very helpful and comprehensive Edge reviews. 

But my point here is that I don’t want to have to merely tell the sommelier the generic type of wine that I want, but to have at least the same published options as afforded to those dining in Blu, of having clearly listed specific options within the Classic Package other than just the Rose. 

I shall resort to bringing a photocopy of the Blu wine list with me, and asking very sweetly and in my most dulcet and persuasive “Downton Abbey” tones for specific Classic Package offerings therefrom. 

Again, thank you so much for your wonderful insights into the delights that await us on the Edge. 

LOL! Wish I could watch! 😀

We just disembarked Eclipse on Oct 3/19. The menus in Luminae were pretty much as previously mentioned.

There was a wonderful surprise on one of the dinner menus where a “grilled ribeye steak” was listed. I just about glossed over that option, as I assumed it might be a boring option until I saw the dish served to our neighbouring table. It was not a grilled rib eye, but the most gorgeous portion of prime rib that I have ever witnessed. It was so thick, it was served standing on its side.

The taste was every bit as great as the presentation and the portion was huge!!!

Needless to say, I skipped dessert that night.

Randy

Edited by Schmoe38
  • Like 1

Thanks for this info-I was literally just looking for it the either day.  Glad that they are making some changes but they do seem pretty sparse.  One of favorites is actually gone  - the braised beef gnocchi appetizer.  We ended up special ordering it another night.  A little secret that I’m not sure is well known - with 24 hours notice you can special order a regular menu item from a different night.  It’s not guaranteed and I wouldn’t do it often but once per cruise it’s a treat.  

• Like 1

On 10/5/2019 at 4:33 PM, calicakes said:

When is your sailing?  I mentioned this on my live blog thread, however I'll repeat.  Our next cruise is also in a Suite( first time) out of Tampa on Connie Dec 23rd, 2020.   I'm not going to stress about the food for an entire year, but my wife has asked me a few times " Will there be something I can eat".  LOL.   Personally, I don't want her to eat a steak every single night, I want her to try new things, but at 58yrs old, I doubt that is going to happen. 

I can usually always find things I like, with some modifications.  I can't wait to hear what you think about it as compared to Blu.  We've only ever cruised in AQ on X.  We did take one cruise on NCL in a regular balcony room.  I was NOT impressed by the food in the MDR. 

Our Connie cruise is  not til Jan 2021...so you will be posting about Luminae before we sail...We are a but nervous about tge style if foid, preferring very plain & simple preparation. However, the menus posted look okay...No one goes hungry on X

We have some other cruises  booked before  Connie.  Next up is on EDGE  Sunset Veranda  this time ( real balcony..aft)  with the 4 mdr plan. Excited about that !

3 hours ago, Schmoe38 said:

We just disembarked Eclipse on Oct 3/19. The menus in Luminae were pretty much as previously mentioned.

There was a wonderful surprise on one of the dinner menus where a “grilled ribeye steak” was listed. I just about glossed over that option, as I assumed it might be a boring option until I saw the dish served to our neighbouring table. It was not a grilled rib eye, but the most gorgeous portion of prime rib that I have ever witnessed. It was so thick, it was served standing on its side.

The taste was every bit as great as the presentation and the portion was huge!!!

Needless to say, I skipped dessert that night.

Randy

Hi Randy

Thanks for the heads up...we'll be looking for that on Connie!

2 hours ago, hcat said:

Our Connie cruise is  not til Jan 2021...so you will be posting about Luminae before we sail...We are a but nervous about tge style if foid, preferring very plain & simple preparation. However, the menus posted look okay...No one goes hungry on X

Hcat, make sure you check out the children’s menu in Luminae, on Edge there was a Petit filet and Caesar salad.  Katie

Edited by Oville

On 10/3/2019 at 11:39 PM, tjunmin said:

Our maître d' Franko in the Millennium informed us that they've been using a new set of menus for a number of sailings, but our sailing was the first in which they used the entire new set of 14 menus, as it was a longer itinerary. Out itinerary was 15-night long, so on the last night, they repeated the first menu.

Photos of the new menus can be found here [link].

This was so wonderful of you, tjunmin, and greatly appreciated.

Thank you so much for sharing it with all of us!

• Like 1

Great photos and review @tjunmin. Am I correct you took these on the Vancouver to Tokyo crossing? We were also in Luminae for this cruise and when I saw all your photos in this post I realize now you were the gentleman who always had your camera with you and took photos of each dish. They are great pics and a really useful review.

I agree with you about the quality of some of the dishes served in luminae which were at times inconsistent but when they were on point they were very good. We were disappointed with the range of dishes some days/evenings and ordered off the MDR menu regularly. From a service perspective we found the service very disjointed and lackluster to begin with but after having a chat with Franko it changed immediately. The staff were very friendly and attentive, and once they found their mojo it was a totally different experience.

Edited by Deano68
  • Like 1

On 10/5/2019 at 2:01 PM, WonderMan3 said:

Too bad the Chef’s items don’t change each day. They made a big hullabaloo about this chef collaboration in a press release. To see it only amounted to 3 items is a bit anti-climactic.

My thought as well.  I was under the impression that it would be a different set of 3 items for each night.  Hopefully they will add a few more in the near future.

On 10/6/2019 at 10:32 PM, Oville said:

Hcat, make sure you check out the children’s menu in Luminae, on Edge there was a Petit filet and Caesar salad.  Katie

Someone this week posted that the filet on the children’s menu has been replaced with a sirloin. Boo! 

Hcat - I’m a very plain Luminae eater.  Steak, plain pasta or white rice, and salad (I tell them what I want in it) never a problem.  Just figure out what works for you and let them know. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JFontaine said:

Someone this week posted that the filet on the children’s menu has been replaced with a sirloin. Boo! 

Hcat - I’m a very plain Luminae eater.  Steak, plain pasta or white rice, and salad (I tell them what I want in it) never a problem.  Just figure out what works for you and let them know. 

Oh, I must have read it wrong, I thought that was the MDR.

23 minutes ago, JFontaine said:

I’m fairly certain there is only one child’s menu. The one that I’ve seen in Luminae is the same as what was posted here as MDR.  

I’m not doubting you, my mistake and it is disappointing.  However I’ve only order it once😉.

12 hours ago, Deano68 said:

Great photos and review @tjunmin. Am I correct you took these on the Vancouver to Tokyo crossing? We were also in Luminae for this cruise and when I saw all your photos in this post I realize now you were the gentleman who always had your camera with you and took photos of each dish. They are great pics and a really useful review.

I agree with you about the quality of some of the dishes served in luminae which were at times inconsistent but when they were on point they were very good. We were disappointed with the range of dishes some days/evenings and ordered off the MDR menu regularly. From a service perspective we found the service very disjointed and lackluster to begin with but after having a chat with Franko it changed immediately. The staff were very friendly and attentive, and once they found their mojo it was a totally different experience.

I was on the Vancouver to Tokyo crossing indeed! Glad to hear that the review was useful.

Honestly, we did experience minor issues with the service at Luminae. It would be nice if service was perfect. We've had servers who were outstanding and provided excellent service on a consistent basis. That was not the case in this sailing, but we could tell that they were friendly, eager to please, and put an effort to give us their best. I can live with that. Looking forward to our next Luminae experience!

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

This will be my first cruise on Celebrity and we are staying in a Celebrity Suite. From looking at  pictures of Luminae menus, am I correct that the menu changes daily? Also, if there is nothing on the Luminae menu that interest us, are we able to order of the MDR menu?

The menu in Luminae does change daily.  Unless you are  sailing on an Edge class ship you can order from the MDR menu.  The kitchen for the MDR is located too far from Luminae to make ordering off the menu feasible on Edge class although it has been reported that you can make arrangements the night before.

On 10/4/2019 at 7:14 AM, hcat said:

Wow..fabulous job! Really appreciate this thread,  Hope it grows with more info about other ships, etc

We are long time BLU fans. The concept and menus there have always been great except for so many " birds" and change in tableside museli.   The Luminae menus and photos  previously posted have  never appealed to us as we like simple, clean  food. 

We decided to change things up for a few cruises & finally booked a  suite on Constellation ( great intro prices for Tampa sailings).  We will be assigned to Luminae and hope the new menus work out and  that we are happy there.   I randomly clicked on one of the days and see more than one  item that will appeal to us.

Hopeful that over time execution will improve!

I like simple food as well. Can you order from the Blu menu in Luminae?  Give me high grassfed beef or free range chicken with veggies and a salad and I’m a happy girl. 

On 10/10/2019 at 8:34 PM, JFontaine said:

Good to know!  My husband is a foodie, but I like more simple dishes. 

18 minutes ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

I like simple food as well. Can you order from the Blu menu in Luminae?  Give me high grassfed beef or free range chicken with veggies and a salad and I’m a happy girl. 

Not normally for Blu menu for S and  E class ships as the galleys are separated by a few decks.  Possibly on M class where they share galley space but I wouldn't depend on it.  Generally they will do whatever they can to please you, just ask politely, generally they will try to make you happy but it may have to be for the next evening due to what's available in the galley that night.