Tendering vs. water shuttling

4cats4me

4 hours ago, getting older slowly said:

Just looked at our cruise  personalizer for next cruise in 46 days....

and low and behold     we now no longer have "tender"' port we have "'water shuttles"

how about we call them     white and orange thing that floats which has a 100 people cramped in

What next ???    will ports where ones moors at a wharf...... be called  walk ashore stops

Cheers Don

On the Grand they supposedly can cram 150 people into the white and orange things 😉

FWIW, while on the turtle-speed shuttle today, the signage said  “tender” while on the “shuttle.”

It took almost one hour on the shuttle today, what should have been 10-15 mins, in Loreto. 

13 minutes ago, 4cats4me said:

It took almost one hour on the shuttle today, what should have been 10-15 mins, in Loreto. 

You must have been on one of the early groups? I heard someone else also say they were in the water for 50 minutes.  We heard several announcements onboard that the disembarkation process in Loreto was taking longer than expected so we waited until later and were at the dock at probably that 10-15 minute mark. Once I saw one of the makeshift sets of steps made out of pallets I figured the delay had to do with the height of the dock v height of the tender/water shuttle. Not the safest step height and set up with all the walkers and canes onboard.

1 hour ago, brisalta said:

On the Grand they supposedly can cram 150 people into the white and orange things 😉

On any of the tenders I have been on, they put up to 100 people on board, when used as a tender. When used as a lifeboat, the capacity is 150: there are instructions where the extra people are to sit.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, idahospud said:

You must have been on one of the early groups? I heard someone else also say they were in the water for 50 minutes.  We heard several announcements onboard that the disembarkation process in Loreto was taking longer than expected so we waited until later and were at the dock at probably that 10-15 minute mark. Once I saw one of the makeshift sets of steps made out of pallets I figured the delay had to do with the height of the dock v height of the tender/water shuttle. Not the safest step height and set up with all the walkers and canes onboard.

Yes, that was the issue.  Very hot and stuffy and after 40 minutes, an announcement of “We are waiting for stairs.” LOL

one lady removed her blouse and was just 

sitting there in her bra. LOL

Is this what could be called the lubberfication of nautical, sorry I mean "big water", terminology?

You have the front or pointy end. The back, or blunt end. The left side and the right side.

We'll be assigned rooms on floors. We'll park at docks, sorry I mean boat parking stations.

And after all that we'll really need to get three sheets to the wind, even if we don't know what a sheet is. 🧐

7 hours ago, nukesubsailor said:

Just off the Regal last Saturday.  The term used on that ship was shuttle rather than tender.

Maybe it is just my years in the Navy but the term tender when speaking of a vessel meant a vessel whose purpose was to provide maintenance to other vessels.  And the vessel that took you from the ship to shore was called the liberty launch.

I think that this is a good place to put the Merriam-Webster definition of "tender".  Please note definition number 2.

tend·er | \ ˈten-dər  \

Definition of tender (Entry 5 of 7)

: one that tends: such as
a(1) : a ship employed to attend other ships (as to supply provisions)
(2) : a boat for communication or transportation between shore and a larger ship
(3) : a warship that provides logistic support

9 minutes ago, SinbadThePorter said:

Is this what could be called the lubberfication of nautical, sorry I mean "big water", terminology?

You have the front or pointy end. The back, or blunt end. The left side and the right side.

We'll be assigned rooms on floors. We'll park at docks, sorry I mean boat parking stations.

And after all that we'll really need to get three sheets to the wind, even if we don't know what a sheet is. 🧐

Perfect, and by the way, the derivation of lubber and three sheets to the wind are directly connected.

"A clumsy seaman" and a sailing ship with the sails loose. 

Edited by 2 cruises a year

7 minutes ago, SinbadThePorter said:

A launch is a variety of tender. Originally it was the largest vessel carried on board and was regarded as suitable transportation for the captain, especially when trying to impress the natives.

Ahh yes, the Captain's (and Admiral's) gig.

I just noticed that you are from Brisbane, so I will clarify my remark of "gig" as referenced in the US Navy. 

31 minutes ago, SinbadThePorter said:

Go upstairs and downstairs instead of above and below. 

Go to the toilet instead of the head.

I'm sure we could both go on and on. 

33 minutes ago, 2 cruises a year said:

"A clumsy seaman" and a sailing ship with the sails loose. 

The sheets of course being ropes.

And being drunk as the bosun going down with the ship. Since old timey sailors rarely knew how to swim and so if the ship began to sink they would break into the rum so at least they were drunk when they drowned.

Edited by SinbadThePorter

15 minutes ago, SinbadThePorter said:

The sheets of course being ropes.

And "clumsy" being drunk as the bosun going down with the ship. Since old timey sailors rarely knew how to swim and so if the ship began to sink they would break into the rum so at least they were drunk when they drowned.

That use of the term "gig" extends beyond the US Navy even to Brisbane. Unless it's also a Brisbane slang term I'm not familiar with. 😮

I like the "being drunk as a bosun", that is a new one to me. 

I guess I was over thinking gig might be USN, this whole conversation is old timey terms.

We could go on and on, it is fun, but it is late here and I'm going to hit the rack.

Last cruise this past June the operation was called a tender operation as always.  I had not heard of the water shuttle.   Looking at our upcoming cruise next month, the itinerary lists our one port as a tender port.