Tendering vs. water shuttling

4cats4me

"Water Shuttles" were used when we did the Norwegian Fjords and British Isles out of Southampton in August on 2 different Princess ships.  First time we had ever heard tenders referred to as water shuttles.  We thought maybe it was just a term used because we were sailing from the UK.

Star was using water shuttles on cruise just did last week of September.  Initially I thought that was ship preference versus fleet wide.  Those with British or European accents sound better than North American accents I think 😉

Guest arowe6

This made me laugh way more than it should have. 

I work in marketing, so I love it!

But as a normal traveling human, my first thought was “This is so dumb.”

Andrew 🙂

1 minute ago, CruiseVA said:

Caribbean Princess in July to Quebec City - yes, as we all sort of made fun of the term. Actually it is more descriptive, what's a "tender"?

A tender is a type of lifeboat that shares use as a means to get passengers ashore.  If you wander the Promenade deck on Caribbean Princess you will note some of the lifeboats have catamaran type (dual) hulls which provide increased stability.  Those are the tenders.

2 minutes ago, Times Prince said:

A tender is a type of lifeboat that shares use as a means to get passengers ashore.  If you wander the Promenade deck on Caribbean Princess you will note some of the lifeboats have catamaran type (dual) hulls which provide increased stability.  Those are the tenders.

Water Shuttles........😁

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Times Prince said:

It may be a terminology thing, but there are some ports where the port requires Princess to use their shuttles, which usually carry more people than tenders.

Actually, they’re referring to their own tenders in the Patter, and the town shuttles here in Cabo hold fewer people than the Princess tenders.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, arowe6 said:

This made me laugh way more than it should have. 

I work in marketing, so I love it!

But as a normal traveling human, my first thought was “This is so dumb.”

Andrew 🙂

Exactly, Andrew! Your reviews have cheered me up made me laugh over tge years. So glad I finally could return the favor.  😂

9 hours ago, 4cats4me said:

Currently onboard Royal Princess.  

They are now referring to a tender as a water shuttle. LOL

Wondering if “water shuttle” is being used fleetwide now?

Haha. 

Edited by 2 cruises a year
Deleted Posted in the wrong place

Guest arowe6
12 minutes ago, 4cats4me said:

Exactly, Andrew! Your reviews have cheered me up made me laugh over tge years. So glad I finally could return the favor.  😂

oh stoppppp 🙂

Brad and I are booked on the 12/8 Regal sailing. The snark will be in full force soon enough...

Andrew 

I just checked a future booking I have and for Princess Cays the itinerary states Water Shuttle Required.  I mentioned this in another thread, but when searching cruises, the itineraries don't show if Tenders (err... Water Shuttles) are required for any of the ports.