Tendering vs. water shuttling

4cats4me

55 minutes ago, jasbo49 said:

I think it makes more sense to the first-time cruiser. I sure didn't know what a tender was the first time I heard the word.

Water shuttle? Pretty easy to figure out.

Jim

Yes, a vessel that shuttles water back and forth.

27 minutes ago, brisalta said:

Yes, a vessel that shuttles water back and forth.

A "vessel" -- like a carafe in the dining room?  I'll have to ask my busboy -- sorry, "assistant waitperson" -- to bring a water shuttle to refill my water glass.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mike45LC said:

A "vessel" -- like a carafe in the dining room?  I'll have to ask my busboy -- sorry, "assistant waitperson" -- to bring a water shuttle to refill my water glass.

A very clever response. Now if the busboy could transport it directly in water we may have a vessel. 😉

The actual definition of vessel from "Convention on the International Regulations for Preventing Collisions at Sea"

Rule 3 (a) is:

The word “vessel” includes every description of water craft, including nondisplacement craft and seaplanes, used or capable of being used as a means of transportation on water;

17 hours ago, 2 cruises a year said:

Tendering vs. water shuttling.

Purser's Desk vs. Passenger Services Desk. 

For some reason someone has to change things.

I still go to the Purser's Desk, and tender ashore.

Someone asked me on a cruise about changing money and I told him he could do it at the Purser's Desk. I got a totally blank look until I revised it to Passenger Services Desk. The Purser takes care of financial stuff but I guess it was too "nautical" for people to figure out so they changed the name. Of course I thought Tender was fine as well but people are strange.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Thrak said:

Someone asked me on a cruise about changing money and I told him he could do it at the Purser's Desk. I got a totally blank look until I revised it to Passenger Services Desk. The Purser takes care of financial stuff but I guess it was too "nautical" for people to figure out so they changed the name. Of course I thought Tender was fine as well but people are strange.

I agree about "too nautical for people to figure out".  But why does Princess want to "dumb down" the nautical terms?  Wouldn't it be better to broaden people's horizons and expand their vocabulary?  With the Internet, it is so easy to look up new terms you are not familiar with.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Thrak said:

Just imagine what will happen on another cruise line when ask about the "Passenger Services Desk" and they get empty stares because on that line it is called the Guest Services Desk :).  

Hank

P.S.  Save us from those who call "ships" a "boat."

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 2 cruises a year said:

I agree about "too nautical for people to figure out".  But why does Princess want to "dumb down" the nautical terms?  Wouldn't it be better to broaden people's horizons and expand their vocabulary?  With the Internet, it is so easy to look up new terms you are not familiar with.

It's 'cause people don't got no grammar nor does they got a gud vocabulamary. Them just don't English good. Don't got gud speelling neither.

People don't read anymore. Instead they watch video. Reading can help with vocabulary, grammar, and spelling. Smart phones are making people less smart.

Remember, punctuation saves lives!

"Let's eat, Grandma!" is not the same as "Let's eat Grandma!"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just off the Regal last Saturday.  The term used on that ship was shuttle rather than tender.

Maybe it is just my years in the Navy but the term tender when speaking of a vessel meant a vessel whose purpose was to provide maintenance to other vessels.  And the vessel that took you from the ship to shore was called the liberty launch.

Just looked at our cruise  personalizer for next cruise in 46 days....

and low and behold     we now no longer have "tender"' port we have "'water shuttles"

how about we call them     white and orange thing that floats which has a 100 people cramped in

What next ???    will ports where ones moors at a wharf...... be called  walk ashore stops

Cheers Don

18 minutes ago, Thrak said:

It's 'cause people don't got no grammar nor does they got a gud vocabulamary. Them just don't English good. Don't got gud speelling neither.

People don't read anymore. Instead they watch video. Reading can help with vocabulary, grammar, and spelling. Smart phones are making people less smart.

Remember, punctuation saves lives!

"Let's eat, Grandma!" is not the same as "Let's eat Grandma!"

And can only write (I guess I should say "type") in lowercase and keep the word length to three letters followed by little pictures.

• Like 1

Ok, so I guess the "suits" at the cruise line Corporate HQs would say that they are now attracting a new breed of cruiser who is on their first or second cruise, rates a ship based on its water slides, and often consider gourmet food a decent hamburger!  Times have changed.  Those folks do not care about Port and Starboard, Forward or Aft, etc.  The term "tender" is how they are supposed to treat their wives or girlfriends.  "Shuttle" makes sense to these folks, even if that shuttle is supposed to carry lots of water (i.e. Water Shuttle).  When we started cruising in the 70s, cruise lines emphasized their nautical roots.  Some Captains would lecture on the Beaufort Scale (Force 8 vs Force 2), nautical miles vs statute miles (or kilometers), etc.  But new cruisers just don't care about that and want to know how many per hour can use the "flow rider" or other such stuff.  

I guess us "ole salts" will just have to adjust.  On one recent cruise a young person ask us the longest cruise we had taken and when we replied "62 days" they both told us that they always thought the longest cruise was 14 days.  Welcome to the new cruise world.

Hank

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

Ok, so I guess the "suits" at the cruise line Corporate HQs would say that they are now attracting a new breed of cruiser who is on their first or second cruise, rates a ship based on its water slides, and often consider gourmet food a decent hamburger!  Times have changed.  Those folks do not care about Port and Starboard, Forward or Aft, etc.  The term "tender" is how they are supposed to treat their wives or girlfriends.  "Shuttle" makes sense to these folks, even if that shuttle is supposed to carry lots of water (i.e. Water Shuttle).  When we started cruising in the 70s, cruise lines emphasized their nautical roots.  Some Captains would lecture on the Beaufort Scale (Force 8 vs Force 2), nautical miles vs statute miles (or kilometers), etc.  But new cruisers just don't care about that and want to know how many per hour can use the "flow rider" or other such stuff.  

I guess us "ole salts" will just have to adjust.  On one recent cruise a young person ask us the longest cruise we had taken and when we replied "62 days" they both told us that they always thought the longest cruise was 14 days.  Welcome to the new cruise world.

Hank

👍👍👍

My wife has told me that she won't pack for less than a 14 day cruise. 

It is GREAT to be retired. 

Edited by 2 cruises a year

10 minutes ago, 2 cruises a year said:

👍👍👍

LOL I will drink to that!  Even if we do not have a drink package.

Hank

17 minutes ago, 2 cruises a year said:

👍👍👍

My wife thought that sounded great but I reminded her there are a few 10 day cruises that we would take. She actually booked a 7 day cruise last year but that doesn't really count. We already had a 19 day booked and the 7 day fit right onto the front end of the longer cruise so we added it. We also had a 7 day this year but it was the southbound cruise portion of a 15 day cruisetour. 10 days seems about the shortest reasonable time for us but we applaud your wife's 14 day minimum stance.

4 minutes ago, KCsealegs said:

I think “water shuttle” is easier for people who are not experienced cruisers to understand. Just like “Guest Safety Assembly” vs the traditional “muster drill”. 

I think it is safe to say they would figure it out since its been used for a long time up to now and no issues.

If it ain't broke.......

1 hour ago, Thrak said:

My wife thought that sounded great but I reminded her there are a few 10 day cruises that we would take. She actually booked a 7 day cruise last year but that doesn't really count. We already had a 19 day booked and the 7 day fit right onto the front end of the longer cruise so we added it. We also had a 7 day this year but it was the southbound cruise portion of a 15 day cruisetour. 10 days seems about the shortest reasonable time for us but we applaud your wife's 14 day minimum stance.

Yes, we do use the phrase "14 day cruise" loosely. Our cruises now are repositioning  cruises with segments that can be booked as 2 or 3 cruises separately or as 1 cruise, but we get credit for each segment.  We have also "tagged" on a cruise afterwards like you. After we find a cruise we like, depending  on the cruise fund, I always check the cruise before and after.

4 hours ago, seacruise9 said:

Hi, 

During a recent cruise on the Crown Princess, the cruise director referred to this as a '"water limousine." This made me laugh.

Chuck 

I am sure they were supposed to reserve that terminology for the Suites and Elites guests. 

5 hours ago, seacruise9 said:

Hi, 

During a recent cruise on the Crown Princess, the cruise director referred to this as a '"water limousine." This made me laugh.

Chuck 

That is scary as limousines tend to handle very poorly.

On 10/7/2019 at 11:29 AM, TM said:

"Water Shuttles" were used when we did the Norwegian Fjords and British Isles out of Southampton in August on 2 different Princess ships.  First time we had ever heard tenders referred to as water shuttles.  We thought maybe it was just a term used because we were sailing from the UK.

Tender is the correct term in the UK. "Water Shuttle" seems to be a term created by an MBA who should not have anything to do with shipping.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 2 cruises a year said:

I would give you 100 Likes if it was permitted.

• Thanks 1