Looking for hotel in Quebec

curleyjane

My favorite still is the Chateau Frontenac (even after a bit of a modernization in the recent renovation). If you are going to stay in Quebec City for a night or two you might as well stay in its biggest landmark. The only downside is it can be pricey and sometimes not even available so you need to book ahead. 

There are plenty of other options-- both from known brands and independents though. 

The Frontenac is indeed a landmark, but a bit pricey - and, since it’s impressive exterior is its great point, it is better to be elsewhere, so you can see it.

We’ve stayed at a couple of small places on side streets in the old city (the only area to stay) - favorite was the Ste. Anne on rue Ste. Anne - which had a very good restaurant extending out onto the sidewalk.

Edited by navybankerteacher

• 2 weeks later...

We just returned from a few pre-cruise days in Quebec as we were on the RCI Adventure Snowbird itinerary Oct 7th-20th.

And after much research we opted for the Auberge Place d' Armes...right across the square from the Frontenac hotel...we actually had a corner window with an amazing view of it...Highly recommend the Place d' Armes...amazing small quaint charming hotel and a perfect location.

On 10/26/2019 at 1:41 AM, Ashland said:

We just returned from a few pre-cruise days in Quebec as we were on the RCI Adventure Snowbird itinerary Oct 7th-20th.

And after much research we opted for the Auberge Place d' Armes...right across the square from the Frontenac hotel...we actually had a corner window with an amazing view of it...Highly recommend the Place d' Armes...amazing small quaint charming hotel and a perfect location.

Good point - the Chateau Frontenac is simply a very big hotel once you are inside it;  its real charm is its outside appearance - which is better enjoyed from some other hotel — which is likely to cost you a lot less.

12 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

Good point - the Chateau Frontenac is simply a very big hotel once you are inside it;  its real charm is its outside appearance - which is better enjoyed from some other hotel — which is likely to cost you a lot less.

We spent two days in Quebec City on a cruise last month, so obviously we didn't stay in any hotels there.  But the Chateau Frontenac is such a tourist "attraction" that it was a total zoo around it as well as in the public lobby.  Obviously, I can't speak to what it would be like to stay there, but I just wanted to point that out for people unfamiliar with QC. 

As for the view from outside  🙂

enhance

(photo by turtles06)

1 hour ago, princeton123211 said:

I wouldn't go that far-- its quite charming on the inside as well. Just underwent a big renovation to modernize some parts of it. 

Agreed - it is a fine hotel, but its real status as an icon of Quebec is its absolutely awesome exterior  - with the outer ring being suggestive of a curtain wall protecting the inner keep.   Staying    In one of the small side-Street “auberges” gives you the best of both - small charm with a view of massive grandeur.

On 10/21/2019 at 4:47 PM, jmb4534 said:

We stayed at the Le Priori and thought it was great. Near all the action in lower town, great price, delicious breakfast and a very nice staff. We could see the Le Priori from our cabin balcony. 

We just stayed at Le Priori too and loved it! I could see the ship from our room, photo below, and  close enough to walk if you don’t have too much heavy luggage.  Charming hotel, wonderful staff, modern rooms with  old world touches like exposed stone walls, and fantastic breakfast. 

B56A564F-1182-4DCF-97C0-ADEB4B1018B9.jpeg

I was on the same Snowbird Migration cruise mentioned by a previous poster.  We got back 2 weeks ago.  

You need to look at the attractions in the city and decided what you really want to see.  My usual practice in booking a hotel is to be next door or very close to something I want to see.  That way at least on one day you do not have to travel far and you can be among the first to enter. 

We booked the Hilton just outside of the city wall. [view from our window below] We picked this hotel because we booked it with points.  Since we are gold members we got a buffet breakfast each morning. [40 CAD value for us] Also, it is very close to 2 city gates and across the street from the Parliament building and the fountain.  [they have free tours in English and French or on your own] We visited there on the morning of the day we boarded our ship.  It was cool and rainy.  We had read this was a good rainy day activity and it was. 

Several passengers [ about 20] on our ship stayed at the Bellevue Chateau Hotel in upper town.  It was 1 block from the Hotel Frontenac.  It was a small boutique hotel and some had stayed there before.  It was close to almost everything in upper town. [I have not stayed there myself] 

Now that we have stayed there a few days I would pick a hotel in upper town for the convenience and the ambiance. 

However, do you want to be within walking distance of the port?  It sounds crazy to even think of dragging luggage to the port--but, we took a taxi and the traffic is CRAZY on boarding day.  Lower town is small and all the streets were clogged.  We had our taxi stop and let us out and we walked the last few blocks.  A policeman had told us it would be an hour from where the taxi came to a standstill and he suggested we walk.  [The taxi pulled into the public bus turn around and let us out--no bus there at the time. We did not block traffic]]

Lots to consider before selecting a hotel.  Have a good cruise.  

I did a live thread on the Royal Caribbean Board for our trip.  I posted about what we did in Quebec City.  Here is the link if you are interested. 

20191005_135559.jpg

On 11/3/2019 at 4:38 AM, sunsetbeachgal said:

We just stayed at Le Priori too and loved it! I could see the ship from our room, photo below, and  close enough to walk if you don’t have too much heavy luggage.  Charming hotel, wonderful staff, modern rooms with  old world touches like exposed stone walls, and fantastic breakfast. 

B56A564F-1182-4DCF-97C0-ADEB4B1018B9.jpeg

This photo could have been taken from our room. This is the exact view we had to see Paul McCartney leaving the hotel on the right.(St Antoine maybe??) It was quite a mob scene, but we watched it from the comfort of our room (with cameras zoomed in)