THE SECRETS OF THE NCL HAVEN LUXURY EXPERIENCE

Sthrngary

1 hour ago, fox02554 said:

My grandson took his cruising into his own hands this weekend 🤣 guess he got tired of waiting for grandma to get it done ( 04/17/2022 Breakaway out of NOLA )

https://n-magazine.com/how-three-high-school-students-took-the-internet-by-storm/?fbclid=IwAR1SvxIa0zpOA7vcLmVXVqesI6XZWVjd5DHlTHlENkMa1IY1uFPRqO3Qj3Asafe_image_php.jpeg.c53c13b67250066c0e558917b6d18564.jpeg

That is great!!

• Like 3

3 hours ago, fox02554 said:

in all honesty I am a Dunk-in girl through and through🤣 so wouldn't even know what to order at a Starbucks & the one or 2 times hubby goes over his limit with a top shelve bourbon doesn't justify the + package , I am more concerned in getting my teenages access to boxed water then I am alcohol or coffee . and I know I can get our butler to keep jug of tea & water in fridge that they can refill their own  Yeti's from 😄 I'll just have to hit up the bars for water and bring it back to stock the room with 😄

Juts FYI, I got around this by just purchasing a big pack of water to be delivered to the cabin on day 1.  We never go through all of it, and I then don’t have to pay $$$$$$ to upgrade everyone’s beverage package. 

• Like 4

13 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

The pre-surgery diets are crazy but there is a reason.  My surgeon explained losing the weight prior to the surgery makes his job much simpler.  Has to do with him probably having to move the liver around.

After the surgery, you'll be transitioning to a very high protein low carb diet.  More like Atkins than Keto.  

You're going to do fine.  

Gary is right about the portion sizes.  For example, I now have pizza now.  Not often, maybe every couple of months.  I used to eat a complete individual size pizza and want more.  Now, I get four meals off of one.   A standard prime rib is three meals.  You're perfect protein size is about the size of a deck of cards.  

This is actually inspiring me to cut back and lose a few of those pounds I've gained.

Yes. It's to shrink the liver! I found that so interesting and even saw a picture of the difference in the stomach. Ick but cool!

11 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

My dietician said that protein should comprise at least fifty percent of my intake.  

She suggested using dessert sized plates instead of dinner plates with half the plate being reserved for protein and dividing the remainder into three portions.  Two for vegetables and one for carbs.  That gives you 3/6ths for protein, 2/6ths for vegetables, and 1/6th for carbs.

BTW, speaking of protein.  Check out this website:

https://unjury.com/

My surgeon recommends them highly.

I particularly like these protein bars and especially the protein snack bars.  All three flavors are very tasty.  The brownie flavor does taste like a brownie after a few seconds in a microwave.

My dietician also gave me this hint: if after a meal, your nose is running or your sneezing a lot, you've eaten too much.  I'd never heard that before but I've found it to be true.

I yawn too much. Lol

11 hours ago, gmbhardy said:

Hey Gary. I’m going to be on the Joy for a B2B next week. Who was tending bar in the Haven on your cruise? Thanks.

I don't recall their names.  If you have a specific question about the bar, ask away.  They will remember me if you asked the about the guy, doing shots of Tequila 1942, LOL.

On a separate note, got to Sugar Cane at night.  The small band and crowd is awesome.  

Cruise well.

I have hope again! 😀😃

All 5 rapid tests say negative today and the 4 pcr we did Sunday came negative so just waiting on the new pcr tests from today and hoping this means we are not "GOING" to get sick. We need to all test negative Saturday morning. I'm not worried about my son flying in because he had Covid at the beginning of January. Our 14 year old is still sniffly etc. But her rapid was negative.

We are waiting on the pcr from today and then we are repeating rapids on Thursday morning. John delayed his flight til Friday morning so we will drive to the airport pick him up and head to Cocoa Beach where we rented a apartment style beach house. It's 18 minutes from the port. I'm so afraid that it will still go wrong but chances are we have already had it or just aren't going to get it.

FYI: Hannah and her sisters had just finished their 2nd dose of Pfizer on the 10th so it was really surprising when she got sick. And despite the fact that J and J boosters weren't needed til 6 months in the past apparently the CDC says now to get them b4 2 months. I read it over and over I was so surprised. Mine was Dec.3 and hubby Nov. 24. We will boost with Pfizer soon after we get home. 

[BTW- when John got Covid for the 2nd time I laughed so hard after realizing he wasn't joking...why!? Because I harassed him all of December and beginning of January up til he was positive (he caught it on his 22nd bday. Jan. 3 so a few days later the result. It really hit him fast. I think 2 days after).]

Is it ok to start getting excited again!? I won't feel perfectly safe until they give us the all clear and we are headed to The Haven Fast Track (I think that's a decent name for it)!!!

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, Starflyr3 said:

Juts FYI, I got around this by just purchasing a big pack of water to be delivered to the cabin on day 1.  We never go through all of it, and I then don’t have to pay $$$$$$ to upgrade everyone’s beverage package. 

This is what we are doing. My husband doesn’t drink alcohol except the occasional one drink, and the Plus is just not going to be worth his one drink max habit. And it’ll encourage me to not be blotto and just enjoy the under $15 beverages in moderation. The Plus package would result in me having way too much champagne. 

• Like 4

13 hours ago, JustSomeLady said:

This is what we are doing. My husband doesn’t drink alcohol except the occasional one drink, and the Plus is just not going to be worth his one drink max habit. And it’ll encourage me to not be blotto and just enjoy the under $15 beverages in moderation. The Plus package would result in me having way too much champagne. 

What does blotto mean? I don't think I have ever heard that word. Lol. Thanks!

6 hours ago, momofjohnjr said:

What does blotto mean? I don't think I have ever heard that word. Lol. Thanks!

"Blotto"=Completely wasted.  I have been their a few times in my life.  During the time, you feel great, the next day, well; not so great.

Cruise well and drink responsively, (LOL)

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Sthrngary said:

"Blotto"=Completely wasted.  I have been their a few times in my life.  During the time, you feel great, the next day, well; not so great.

Cruise well and drink responsively, (LOL)

I was assuming that but wanted to be sure. 🙂 Learn something new everyday!

Edited by momofjohnjr

havent we really gotten way way off topic?  i think by now we are all aware of the benefits of staying in the haven complex (much thanks to strngary and his extremely insightful post) 

unless you are planning to drink a great deal of alcohol, the upgraded beverage package isnt worth it. personally i'm happy with the regular package.

that being said, i dont believe any one here is really interested in hearing from some one who cant hold their liquor, especially in the haven topic.

drink or not, up to you, but personally, i have no concern about your drinking habits.

sorry if this sounds harsh, but i would think most of us dont give a rats tushie,and if  you do get "blotto" try and stay away from  the railing, or your balcony (if you are in a balcony cabin) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, complawyer said:

havent we really gotten way way off topic?  i think by now we are all aware of the benefits of staying in the haven complex (much thanks to strngary and his extremely insightful post) 

unless you are planning to drink a great deal of alcohol, the upgraded beverage package isnt worth it. personally i'm happy with the regular package.

that being said, i dont believe any one here is really interested in hearing from some one who cant hold their liquor, especially in the haven topic.

drink or not, up to you, but personally, i have no concern about your drinking habits.

sorry if this sounds harsh, but i would think most of us dont give a rats tushie,and if  you do get "blotto" try and stay away from  the railing, or your balcony (if you are in a balcony cabin) 

Yeah, a bit harsh, especially since it's Gary's thread. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Hutcha said:

Yeah, a bit harsh, especially since it's Gary's thread. 

totally agree!!!!!!!!!! I am sure he made the comments light-heartedly and really, haven't we all drank too much at one time or the other. Regarding the Plus alcohol program, I think its great and have already upgraded, cannot wait to get my first glass of Verve from Milan, at the Haven bar

Edited by kenzie
additional info

4 minutes ago, kenzie said:

Regarding the Plus alcohol program, I think its great and have already upgraded, cannot wait to get my first glass of Verve from Milan, at the Haven bar

Look forward to getting "Blotto" with you in a few weeks!

• Haha 2

50 minutes ago, complawyer said:

This is just not correct. Have one glass of Veuve and a Whistle Pig Rye per day ($40 total upcharge on the regular package), and the premium plus beverage package is more than paid for. And that doesn't count the coffee and water bottles you can also get. I hardly count 2 alcoholic drinks per day to be a "great deal of alcohol".

You can get blotto drinking rum and cokes (sorry, pepsis!) all day on the regular package. The premium package is if you drink higher end alcohol. 

• Like 3

I am sorry folks, I was being very light hearted with my comments on drinking.  Allow me to get this thread back on track.  

The Premium Plus Beverage Package just like the Haven is not for everyone.  The debate on both of these topics will go on forever.  Just like with preferences in food choices, it is all a personal preference.  I can only talk for myself on these two topics and I am not saying I am authority for you.

The Premium Plus Beverage Package is great for my wife and me.  She likes the selected bottles of wine at meals than takes the left over wines back to our suite for night caps.  I like to explore high end liquors that I would rarely try during my normal life. Cuervo 1942 was my favorite on my last cruise. I notice the best selection of these high end drinks were at the Haven Bar. Where I would go to a restaurant at home, I would never get imported bottle water.  On this program, we do it at every meal.  When eating in the Haven Restaurant the specialty coffee benefit is kind of worthless since they serve these coffees complementary.  Add to that the fantastic coffee machine in the Horizon Lounge. Still it is nice to go to the Starbucks and not have a bill.  My wife and I really don't go at this program to make it a bargain or worth the money spent.  That is from a guy that does excel spreadsheets for sport. I am way to old for that.  If I drink to much, the pain in my old body will take time away from the vacation which is my real goal.  With age, sometimes comes wisdom.  Instead, it is about something that is hard to put a value on.  This program makes me feel just a little bit special and kind of like a "Rock Star".  Is it worth the money? For some "NO" for others "YES", for me Absolutely.  Is the "Plus" program a value, "NO".  It is simply part of your plan which is personal for your rare week of R&R. 

The Haven:  This thread has debated the Haven up and down.  Topics range from Children in the Haven, folks that would never cruise any other way.  Many folks get upset when someone disagrees with perhaps how good the Haven Restaurant is or that the menu never changes.  Why can't they have opposing opinions?  That is what a social media thread is all about.  My opinions my differ however who the hack am I anyway.  Who are any of us really.  Everyone deserve to have a say.  

What destroys a thread like this is not the twists and turns it take or slight deviation off the many topic at hand.  It is when folks are mean to one another. It is usually unintentional then escalates. When folks who just want to create controversy say things that are against the Cruise Critic rules and the thread gets shut down. When that happens to me or anyone else, I find it so sad, unfair and mean.

I originally wrote this topic because I felt there was not enough information about the NCL Haven to allow guests to make a educated business decision.  Most of the information was all flowery by travel agents or internet influences not outlining how the Haven or the Premium Plus package improved their cruising experience.  Hard to consider anything without the good, bad and ugly by the guest that actually experience it.  

So everyone, carry on everyone.  Say what you have to say just say it in such a way to create education and lively debate.  Enjoy the many contributors over the last three years have has made this topic shine.  Ask my anything and I personally will shoot you strait.  And most importantly,

Cruise well when you can. 

• Like 11

1 hour ago, Sthrngary said:

I am sorry folks, I was being very light hearted with my comments on drinking.  Allow me to get this thread back on track.  

The Premium Plus Beverage Package just like the Haven is not for everyone.  The debate on both of these topics will go on forever.  Just like with preferences in food choices, it is all a personal preference.  I can only talk for myself on these two topics and I am not saying I am authority for you.

The Premium Plus Beverage Package is great for my wife and me.  She likes the selected bottles of wine at meals than takes the left over wines back to our suite for night caps.  I like to explore high end liquors that I would rarely try during my normal life. Cuervo 1942 was my favorite on my last cruise. I notice the best selection of these high end drinks were at the Haven Bar. Where I would go to a restaurant at home, I would never get imported bottle water.  On this program, we do it at every meal.  When eating in the Haven Restaurant the specialty coffee benefit is kind of worthless since they serve these coffees complementary.  Add to that the fantastic coffee machine in the Horizon Lounge. Still it is nice to go to the Starbucks and not have a bill.  My wife and I really don't go at this program to make it a bargain or worth the money spent.  That is from a guy that does excel spreadsheets for sport. I am way to old for that.  If I drink to much, the pain in my old body will take time away from the vacation which is my real goal.  With age, sometimes comes wisdom.  Instead, it is about something that is hard to put a value on.  This program makes me feel just a little bit special and kind of like a "Rock Star".  Is it worth the money? For some "NO" for others "YES", for me Absolutely.  Is the "Plus" program a value, "NO".  It is simply part of your plan which is personal for your rare week of R&R. 

The Haven:  This thread has debated the Haven up and down.  Topics range from Children in the Haven, folks that would never cruise any other way.  Many folks get upset when someone disagrees with perhaps how good the Haven Restaurant is or that the menu never changes.  Why can't they have opposing opinions?  That is what a social media thread is all about.  My opinions my differ however who the hack am I anyway.  Who are any of us really.  Everyone deserve to have a say.  

What destroys a thread like this is not the twists and turns it take or slight deviation off the many topic at hand.  It is when folks are mean to one another. It is usually unintentional then escalates. When folks who just want to create controversy say things that are against the Cruise Critic rules and the thread gets shut down. When that happens to me or anyone else, I find it so sad, unfair and mean.

I originally wrote this topic because I felt there was not enough information about the NCL Haven to allow guests to make a educated business decision.  Most of the information was all flowery by travel agents or internet influences not outlining how the Haven or the Premium Plus package improved their cruising experience.  Hard to consider anything without the good, bad and ugly by the guest that actually experience it.  

So everyone, carry on everyone.  Say what you have to say just say it in such a way to create education and lively debate.  Enjoy the many contributors over the last three years have has made this topic shine.  Ask my anything and I personally will shoot you strait.  And most importantly,

Cruise well when you can. 

I love your outlook on things.  While I won't be in the Haven unless I get very lucky with an upgrade offer and while I personally don't need the high end liquors and specialty coffees, I've enjoyed reading your take on things and the information you provided.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, TominNC said:

I love your outlook on things.  While I won't be in the Haven unless I get very lucky with an upgrade offer and while I personally don't need the high end liquors and specialty coffees, I've enjoyed reading your take on things and the information you provided.  

There you go, you get it.  Thank you for your kind words.  If the option supports your wants and needs; go for it.  I just want folks to know what it has done for me and then it would help them if the needs were similar.  Either way, we all win because we are cruising.

Cruise well

2 hours ago, Sthrngary said:

This thread has been invaluable to me, as some who also makes spreadsheets when traveling for fun 🙂 So, from the bottom of my heart, thank you!

On topic, with the Premium Plus package, being able to go to Starbucks is a huge plus (not as much as the Whistle Pig, but I digress...). Can you get the refreshers as well with the package? Or just coffee based drinks? Thanks again! 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, complawyer said:

Yes, it is a bit harsh.  Some might want the upgraded drinks package for the additional choices.  

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Sthrngary said:

@mollybloomersPlease clarify and I will do my best to answer.

Cruise well

If this menu is still up to date, they sell Refreshers (acai, berry, etc.).They are my favorites on land. I am just wondering if they are included in the Plus package. Or is is just coffee drinks, like frappuccinos, espressos, ice coffee, etc

Starbucks-Coffee-Menus.jpg.webp

54 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

Yes, it is a bit harsh.  Some might want the upgraded drinks package for the additional choices.  

Honestly, my comment about getting blotto was tongue in cheek, meant to be somewhat funny, but ruffled a feather. Gary’s post has given me so many pointers for the upcoming cruise, and I’m so glad he took the time to put all this together. I apologize for my poor humor, though. 

• Like 1