Noordam - A Passage to New Zealand

richwmn

14 hours ago, GeezerCouple said:

....,especially for the Neptune Suites, are there a good number of electrical outlets?  Any next to the bed/nightstand?

Thanks to everyone thus far for lots of really helpful answers.  Those really help, especially for someone not only new to Noordam, but new to HAL.

GC

Plenty of outlets, including on both sides of the bed, three near the coffee maker near the angled side of the couch, and one in the dressing area.

Entertainment

I did the rounds of most of the entertainment venues last night. Everything was in full motion and everyone seemed to be having a good time.

Main Stage - Jim Hodson

Billed as a multiinstrumentalist, he did live up to that billing. Over the course of his 45 minute show, he played guitar, ukulele, horn, trumbone, and maybe more. At one point he played trumpet and guitar at the same time. The show moved well and had a little bit of humor and the time passed quickly.

Billboard On Board

The early set was hits of the '60's and they seemed comfortable. The songs were played well and the set was enjoyable.

BB King

As always, a good, high energy show. The crowd at 8pm was a little thin but the performers still gave a good show.

Main Stage Tonight - Noordam Singers and Dancers

Tonight was the full troupe, a total of 13 singers and dancers. The breakdown was 1 female singer, 2 male singers and 5 sets of dancers. The show stayed in motion for the entire 45 minutes mixing prerecorded background music and live singing. At two points during the show one of the dancers did some acrobatics using drapes or a rope hanging from the ceiling. All in all, a pretty good show.

Edited by richwmn
  • Like 1

Laundry on Noordam?  (This is our first HAL cruise.)

We've got unlimited laundry (suite perk).

How much this affects how much/what we pack depends in part on how "good" the laundry service is.

First, does this include dry cleaning? 

(That is more gentle on the clothes, and we've had some things come back from "ship laundry" that got a bit battered.)

And do items come back nicely pressed, or more just "neatly folded"?

We'd love to be able to travel light * for a change. 

*  The chance that I, at least, could "travel light" remains an amusing concept, but "whatever"... :classic_ohmy:

GC

4 hours ago, richwmn said:

Entertainment

I did the rounds of most of the entertainment venues last night. Everything was in full motion and everyone seemed to be having a good time.

Main Stage - Jim Hodson

Billed as a multiinstrumentalist, he did live up to that billing. Over the course of his 45 minute show, he played guitar, ukulele, horn, trumbone, and maybe more. At one point he played trumpet and guitar at the same time. The show moved well and had a little bit of humor and the time passed quickly.

Billboard On Board

The early set was hits of the '60's and they seemed comfortable. The songs were played well and the set was enjoyable.

BB King

As always, a good, high energy show. The crowd at 8pm was a little thin but the performers still gave a good show.

Main Stage Tonight - Noordam Singers and Dancers

Tonight was the full troupe, a total of 13 singers and dancers. The breakdown was 1 female singer, 2 male singers and 5 sets of dancers. The show stayed in motion for the entire 45 minutes mixing prerecorded background music and live singing. At two points during the show one of the dancers did some acrobatics using drapes or a rope hanging from the ceiling. All in all, a pretty good show.

I am glad the Noordam has still singers and dancers.

4 hours ago, GeezerCouple said:

Laundry on Noordam?  (This is our first HAL cruise.)

We've got unlimited laundry (suite perk).

How much this affects how much/what we pack depends in part on how "good" the laundry service is.

First, does this include dry cleaning? 

(That is more gentle on the clothes, and we've had some things come back from "ship laundry" that got a bit battered.)

And do items come back nicely pressed, or more just "neatly folded"?

We'd love to be able to travel light * for a change. 

*  The chance that I, at least, could "travel light" remains an amusing concept, but "whatever"... :classic_ohmy:

GC

You’re in a Neptune Suite so laundry, dry cleaning and pressing are all part of your perks.

Laundry comes back pressed on hangers with the exception of socks & undergarments that come folded nicely in tissue paper and wicker basket.

I haven’t had my clothes come “battered” yet on a  HAL ship but I don’t sail on the Noordam until next year so I’ll let Rich address your laundry quality question.

6 minutes ago, kazu said:

You’re in a Neptune Suite so laundry, dry cleaning and pressing are all part of your perks.

Laundry comes back pressed on hangers with the exception of socks & undergarments that come folded nicely in tissue paper and wicker basket.

I haven’t had my clothes come “battered” yet on a  HAL ship but I don’t sail on the Noordam until next year so I’ll let Rich address your laundry quality question.

Nice.  DH was sure that dry cleaning couldn't possibly be included.

I thought I had read somewhere that it was, but then couldn't find it again.

Thanks very much for all of your help.

And I hope to meet you at some point.

GC

1 hour ago, GeezerCouple said:

Nice.  DH was sure that dry cleaning couldn't possibly be included.

I thought I had read somewhere that it was, but then couldn't find it again.

Thanks very much for all of your help.

And I hope to meet you at some point.

GC

You’re welcome and thank you.  Happy to help 🙂 

Drycleaning is DEFINITELY included.  100% guaranteed 😄  Drycleaning is eco friendly, too.

2 hours ago, GeezerCouple said:

I only bring items that can take the type of washing available on the ship, nothing delicate, so my laundry has always been returned in good condition.

Today we have cruising in the Tasman Sea. We reach Australia tomorrow and everyone has to leave the ship in Sydney and present passport and an immigration document to Australian Officials. Those remaining on the ship to New Zealand have a 9am to 10am window to get this done.

Today's activities.

20191107_201900.jpg

20191107_201914.jpg

20 minutes ago, erewhon said:

Enjoy your day in Sydney tomorrow.

I am going to be a bit disappointed tomorrow. The good news is that I will be meeting friends from a previous cruise. The bad news is that we are going to have a very short day. Continuing passengers must present themselves to Australian Immigration with Passport and a declaration card between 9am and 10am, then those of use who boarded in Vancouver must be back on board in time for the 4pm muster drill. A very short day for one of the premier stops on this cruise.

I'm surprised that those of you who boarded in Vancouver and have been through the muster drill need to participate again.   What time does the ship depart Sydney?  Is 4pm 2-3 hours prior to sailing time?  I also would be disappointed.  Hope you have a great day with your friends.  Cherie

1 hour ago, cccole said:

I'm surprised that those of you who boarded in Vancouver and have been through the muster drill need to participate again.   What time does the ship depart Sydney?  Is 4pm 2-3 hours prior to sailing time?  I also would be disappointed.  Hope you have a great day with your friends.  Cherie

Muster drill is 4, on board is 4:30, and sail away is 5. Wish it were later. I was talking to some friends who have a HAL excursion tomorrow and it seems they will pass thru immigration earlier as a group.

1 minute ago, erewhon said:

Good that you will be meeting friends tomorrow.

NZ Immigration is usually during the Tasman  crossing.

Do you visit Melbourne after Sydney?

Our schedule is tomorrow in Sydney, a day at sea, Melbourne, a day at sea, Hobart, 2 days at sea then New Zealand.

Today is the end of the second segment of this cruise. According to one report, we are again losing 900 people and gaining the same. Gone are several people I have enjoyed visiting with, and one of my trivia team. I'm sure a lot of friendly people will be joining us for the passage to New Zealand.

Earlier today Captain Scott opened the Bow and had a small reception. It was a very nice morning out there and everyone seemed to have a nice time.

IMG_1595.JPG

IMG_1596.JPG

IMG_1597.JPG

IMG_1598.JPG

IMG_1599.JPG

Edited by richwmn

10 hours ago, richwmn said:

I am going to be a bit disappointed tomorrow. The good news is that I will be meeting friends from a previous cruise. The bad news is that we are going to have a very short day. Continuing passengers must present themselves to Australian Immigration with Passport and a declaration card between 9am and 10am, then those of use who boarded in Vancouver must be back on board in time for the 4pm muster drill. A very short day for one of the premier stops on this cruise.

That is a real shame that your day has been shortened so much, Rich.

The immigration is unavoidable but it would have been nice to have skipped the muster drill for this port and do it at one of the other turnaround days 😞