Hiking poles

Markanddonna

Go to rei.com or backcountry.com

I've got 2 pair of hiking poles - one set from Leki and one set from Black Diamond.  Both are adjustable for height, but not collapsible.  Both companies do have collapsible poles, though.   I bought rubber tips to put on them for a little more stability.   I've had them for probably 8 years now.  

Note: they aren't cheap...  But, if you are going to use them over and over, it's worth it!

I got some Leki collapsible poles this past summer for my Hadrian's wall walk. (Didn't walk the entire way but did do walks each day along the wall, some of it pretty craggy...)  They worked well -- once I got the hang of it they were quite easy to assemble and collapse but I do recommend practicing with them before your trip. 

5 hours ago, slidergirl said:

2 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

2 hours ago, clo said:

Guys, My side question is about hiking poles vs a cane.  Would you say the hiking poles would work well for someone who has pains in the knees when walking?

OP _ sorry for the detour.  

13 minutes ago, ldubs said:

Guys, My side question is about hiking poles vs a cane.  Would you say the hiking poles would work well for someone who has pains in the knees when walking?

I have mild/early rheumatoid arthritis and have wondered about a walking stick a la Maggie Smith.  I do know the trekking poles helped me a lot but not sure I want to mess with them on paved areas.  I'll be interested in all the replies.

1 hour ago, ldubs said:

Sorry, I've only used mine for the walking/hiking along the wall; they were a help both for support and balance.

4 hours ago, clo said:

Where are you going?  When we went to Antarctica they provided them.  But we had already bought ours. We got them at REI and they weren't expensive.

Some may consider $100+ expensive... I lucked out as I bought mine at 2 of their big sales at REI.   I use backcountry.com as they are a local employer (100+ employees are just 1/2 mile away).  Even though they are internet-based, I am still "shopping local." 

For the cane vs poles:  I really can't say.  I like poles because I get a bit more balance from them.  Last month, I didn't take them with me camping - I thought we were going to just sit and drink and puff a little.  We went on a very little "hike" that crossed a stream - I slipped and fell in the stream!!!  I sure could have used the poles then!!!    I had to use a cane for a year when I shattered my left leg and had to learn to walk properly again when it was rebuilt.  I can't say it worked for balance as I found myself leaning a bit too much on it than I should have, I think, as I got better and better.  It was OK for pavement, but it would not have been adequate on a trail, I think.  

7 minutes ago, clo said:

GREAT info!  Thanks.  I've considered one of these 🙂  A rancher we know recommended them.

https://www.fashionablecanes.com/Bull_Organ_Penis_Walking_Cane.html

I bought my canes from that website.  A Carbon fiber folding cane, a House flame cane, a foo foo flower cane (for "formal" occasions 😉 )  Yes, the penis cane was always there and seemed to be an interesting choice.  I think House bought one in an episode...

I had the regular "bumper" on the carbon fiber cane changed to a bumper with a foldout ice "pick" end.  Saved my rear end a few times during the winter!

1 minute ago, slidergirl said:

I bought my canes from that website.  A Carbon fiber folding cane, a House flame cane, a foo foo flower cane (for "formal" occasions 😉 )  Yes, the penis cane was always there and seemed to be an interesting choice.  I think House bought one in an episode...

I had the regular "bumper" on the carbon fiber cane changed to a bumper with a foldout ice "pick" end.  Saved my rear end a few times during the winter!

I really appreciate your input.  I'm feeling like I need to do something.  I've fallen about four times in a few years.

19 hours ago, slidergirl said:

For the cane vs poles:  I really can't say.  I like poles because I get a bit more balance from them.  Last month, I didn't take them with me camping - I thought we were going to just sit and drink and puff a little.  We went on a very little "hike" that crossed a stream - I slipped and fell in the stream!!!  I sure could have used the poles then!!!    I had to use a cane for a year when I shattered my left leg and had to learn to walk properly again when it was rebuilt.  I can't say it worked for balance as I found myself leaning a bit too much on it than I should have, I think, as I got better and better.  It was OK for pavement, but it would not have been adequate on a trail, I think.  

Sounds like the poles are better for balance.  I'm concluding that a cane would probably be better for general use with a bad knee.  

Thx

1 hour ago, GUT2407 said:

It was the walking sticks I was looking it, hiking poles are great for relief and hiking, not so great, in my experience, if falling is your problem

Well, on the way back from our little hike, my friend gave her hiking poles to use when we crossed the stream again - I almost fell again, but poles kept me upright... so, YMMV 😉

• Like 1

13 hours ago, GUT2407 said:

It was the walking sticks I was looking it, hiking poles are great for relief and hiking, not so great, in my experience, if falling is your problem

I'm a klutz, and I tend to fall. I've never fallen when I'm actually using my hiking poles. The added stability seems to do the trick for me.

• Like 1