Demographic

Bootstrap77

We are new to Oceania, thinking of booking a cruise on the Riveria. We want a sophisticated, quiet, relaxed atmosphere.  Would like to book a cruise with the least amount of kids on it as possible. We are not interested in booking adult only cruises. What is typically the demographic on Oceania, are there a lot of families outside of the holiday cruises?

Thanks very much

B

• Like 1

Our last cruise on Oceania was to the med in May. We saw a few kids, mostly babies in strollers on our trip. We rarely saw any kids at all. The ship is very relaxed and quiet, just the way we like it. We also don't see chair hogs around the pool. Very civilized atmosphere. Although, it can sometimes get rowdy in the Martini Bar at 5pm during Trivia. Ha ha. We are in our 50's and our children are grown so this suits us perfectly. We find Oceania to be the perfect fit for us. Hope this helps.

• Like 1

IME most  pax are 50 +  some  over 80 & some younger  but  not too many children unless maybe the Alaska sailings or New England  with "kids sail free " program

It is not really a party type atmosphere  usually

• Like 1

In July we did a back to back on Marina with 2 other couples.  Together we have almost 45 Oceania cruises.  What struck us all was how different the demographic was from one leg to another.  Very unusual.  The first leg was younger, many kids and definitely not the typical "sophisticated, well travelled older crowd" which we expect on Oceania.  The second leg was the typical O crowd.

Bottom line -- you never know.

Yes, but in the summer time I think you can expect to see more children, just as you can during school vacation times.

We tend to travel NOT in the summer and so it's been pretty rare for us to see children on board.  Most of the time they have been "crew children".  Sometimes toddlers, sometimes teens.  Always very well behaved.

One thing OP might look out for is if there are large groups on board -- such as alumni groups.  Our last two cruises had large alumni groups.  They weren't a problem at all but I've read reports at CC where sometimes the groups can be selfish and noisy.  It can help to know if there is a large block of people from the same group on board ... although I wouldn't have a clue as to whom to ask!

Mura

• Like 1

Demographics on a cruise typically depends upon two (2) factors.

1. Time of year, and ;

2.  Length of cruise.

Since the OP opted to play the game of giving absolutely no details on which cruises he may have interest, it is nearly impossible to answer the question. For the 1000+ time, details matter! Details Matter!

To nicely answer the question. If one sails when schools are normally in session, guess what, almost no kids! Sailing during the summer months, yes there are a few, but typically very few. On Oceania it has always been my observation that the children aboard are better behaved than a similar percentage of adults aboard are.

Two, on longer sailings, 15+ days, the demographics soar. Working stiffs can’t regularly take three (3) week cruises. On those longer cruises I’ve seen median ages of 80+, with only a tiny percentage of cruiser being below 65. 

Providing just a few details of the cruise(s) you’re considering will help to give you a more accurate answer!!!!!!!! One size does not fit all Oceania Cruises!!!!!

Edited by pinotlover
  • Like 3

31 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

Demographics on a cruise typically depends upon two (2) factors.

1. Time of year, and ;

2.  Length of cruise.

Since the OP opted to play the game of giving absolutely no details on which cruises he may have interest, it is nearly impossible to answer the question. For the 1000+ time, details matter! Details Matter!

To nicely answer the question. If one sails when schools are normally in session, guess what, almost no kids! Sailing during the summer months, yes there are a few, but typically very few. On Oceania it has always been my observation that the children aboard are better behaved than a similar percentage of adults aboard are.

Two, on longer sailings, 15+ days, the demographics soar. Working stiffs can’t regularly take three (3) week cruises. On those longer cruises I’ve seen median ages of 80+, with only a tiny percentage of cruiser being below 65. 

Providing just a few details of the cruise(s) you’re considering will help to give you a more accurate answer!!!!!!!! One size does not fit all Oceania Cruises!!!!!

We are considering an early December cruise to avoid the school holiday but it’s only 7 days. We don’t take long cruises because we are golfers and like to space our vacation out through the year. Summer months at home and some Arizona time down south. Plus I don’t want to leave my pets alone that long. I’m a fur baby Mom  

My husband and I typically sail Celebrity. We have been loyal with them for over a decade. But alas lately We have found though that over the last few years there are a lot more families and more kids -  Seems to have started when celebrity introduced all their perks. It was a really nice cruise line back before RCL took it over but the target demo now for them seems to be families. 

Thanks for your post. 

On 10/17/2019 at 3:21 AM, Bootstrap77 said:

We are considering an early December cruise to avoid the school holiday but it’s only 7 days

This is somewhat helpful but not fully so.

If you cruise in early December in Australia or Indonesia, for example, you will see very few children; if the December cruise is in the Carib, it’s a whole different ballgame 😊

I’ve been on 2 Oceania cruises and not seen any children. 

I’m 62 and hubbys was 52 and we don’t feel out of place. 

The food is excellent and portion controlled. If you dine in the buffet the staff place the food on your plate. In the evening steak, lobster, king prawns are cooked to order. The speciality restaurants are free, as are speciality coffees eg latte, soft drinks, virgin cocktails. There is happy hours twice a day ie 2 drinks for the price of 1. Entertainment is very low key. 

On 10/16/2019 at 1:23 PM, Bootstrap77 said:

We are new to Oceania, thinking of booking a cruise on the Riveria. We want a sophisticated, quiet, relaxed atmosphere.  Would like to book a cruise with the least amount of kids on it as possible. We are not interested in booking adult only cruises. What is typically the demographic on Oceania, are there a lot of families outside of the holiday cruises?

Thanks very much

B

Just curious why you wouldn't book an adult only cruise?  We have done both Oceania & Viking Ocean - find them to be comparable.  Viking does not allow children on their cruises which is really nice.  We did a B2B in the Mediterranean on Oceania Riviera last Oct-Nov; the first leg there might have been one family - well behaved children - never noticed any issues.  On the 2nd leg, we had a couple of youngsters under 10 that enjoyed running through the hallways on the cabin level until I said something to them - parents were no where to be found.  I would still sail w/ Oceania - I think the food & specialty restaurants are spectacular, the best of the three cruise lines I have traveled on recently - Crystal & Viking are the other two.  We love Viking and were very happy w/ Oceania too.  We have future cruises booked on both - it all depends on the itinerary.  Hope this helps.

I just posted a short review of our first O cruise.  I didn't mention children.  There was one little girl of maybe about 3.  She was the daughter of one of the officers and we only saw her briefly a few evenings. I have no idea where she was during the day.  Other than that, there was no one under 25 or so.