Land Package Hotel Notifications

Currently booked on the Voyager from Bali to Hong Kong on Feb. 12, 2020 and have a 3-night pre-cruise land package provided by Regent so currently set to arrive on Feb 9th. We have made our own air arrangements but are considering a change which would mean we would need to arrive on Feb. 8th. Regent has advised our TA what our most likely hotel will be, but they will not commit to when we will know for sure. But when my TA inquired today about adding on another hotel day through them, somehow they were able to tell the TA there was a waiting list and the cost would be a whopping $758. I can book online at the "most-likely" hotel for less than half that cost.

So can anyone share there experiences regarding the timing of the confirmation of your pre or post-hotel arrangements? And does it make any sense to have a waiting list for an extra day when they won't or can't even tell me where we will be staying?

Many times Regent does not have enough information to verify the hotel in advance (until they know how many passengers will be taking part in the 3-night pre-cruise or the 1 night pre-cruise.)  We did that itinerary last year and loved the hotel that we stayed at but didn't know exactly what it would be.  Interestingly, we ended up at the hotel that Regent thought that we would be at and it was wonderful.  It is hard to find a hotel that isn't beautiful in Bali!

28 minutes ago, Travelcat2 said:

Many times Regent does not have enough information to verify the hotel in advance (until they know how many passengers will be taking part in the 3-night pre-cruise or the 1 night pre-cruise.)  We did that itinerary last year and loved the hotel that we stayed at but didn't know exactly what it would be.  Interestingly, we ended up at the hotel that Regent thought that we would be at and it was wonderful.  It is hard to find a hotel that isn't beautiful in Bali!

Thank-you for your reply. Do you happen to recall at what point prior to the cruise you were notified? And did the hotel happen to be The Apurva Kempinski?

3 hours ago, Mystictraveler said:

Thank-you for your reply. Do you happen to recall at what point prior to the cruise you were notified? And did the hotel happen to be The Apurva Kempinski?

We stayed at the Melia in Bali which was gorgeous.  Just looked up The Apiurva Kempinski and it is also gorgeous.  The only issue what we had with the 3 day pre-cruise was the heat.  By the 2nd day, I would guess that half of the passengers preferred staying at the hotel rather than going on the excursion as the first day was grueling.  They had a special dinner that night and we were able to get transportation to the site and had a great meal (until the rain started coming down in buckets).  

We love Bali but, like many others, could not tolerate the heat during the day.  Fortunately the buses are air conditioned.  

P.S.  In terms of the cost that Regent charges for an extra night, keep in mind that they include an amazing breakfast, transportation, etc.  If I wanted to stay an extra night before the other passengers arrive, I would book The Apurva Kempinski.  However, to be honest, unless we just needed a day to sit in the air conditioned room, we would not want an extra day.  

Edited by Travelcat2
  • Haha 1

For our Regent cruises, the pre and post hotels are always said to be a "named hotel" used in the past, or an equivalent. It's only when we received our final cruise package that we have know for sure which hotel we'll be staying at. On our July Med cruise, the "named hotel" at the time we booked was the Fairmont. We had a concierge amenity cabin, which gave us one night pre stay and transportation to the hotel, and then to the ship the next day. We arrived at 9:30 AM in Barcelona. We were given transportation in a Mercedes sedan to the Fairmont. Our included room was available for check in when we arrived around 11:30, but so was a room with a view on the 10th floor for a slight upcharge. We took it. Free bus transportation was available to and from the Barcelona city center the rest of the day, and we took advantage of that. Breakfast buffet was included the next morning, and we could choose between a transfer to the port late in the morning, or a 3 hour bus tour of Barcelona with several stops and a drop-off at the port for an additional charge (around 70 dollars each if I remember correctly). We walked directly onto the ship from the bus tour.

We've always preferred what the cruise line provides rather than booking it ourselves. There are certainly ways you can save money by doing it yourself, but saving a little bit of money by finding your own cheaper transportation, hotel room, tours and breakfast seems like too much work when the savings is insignificant compared to the total cruise cost.

It's really not about saving a few dollars.  I just don't want to stay at a hotel with 300 plus people checking in and out about the same time.  All the luggage in the lobby, all the people standing around waiting.  We stayed at the same hotel once in Tokyo the Regent used, now I check before I book-it was a mess in the lobby, elevators.  Much nicer picking a great hotel, car service to the port on your time.  Just my likes and opinion.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, ronrick1943 said:

It's really not about saving a few dollars.  I just don't want to stay at a hotel with 300 plus people checking in and out about the same time.  All the luggage in the lobby, all the people standing around waiting.  We stayed at the same hotel once in Tokyo the Regent used, now I check before I book-it was a mess in the lobby, elevators.  Much nicer picking a great hotel, car service to the port on your time.  Just my likes and opinion.

Totally agree

• Like 1

Rachel and RonRick,

I've stayed at the Regent Hotels, pre-cruise and it's never been a problem. The local people in charge for the most part do a good job and are organized.

The only time I've had issues were on other lines - one cruise was this summer (Iceland) where you and George were as well - the Hotel where we were was a disaster.

Anyway, it's nice to have choices!

Peggy

1 hour ago, xrvlcruiser said:

Rachel and RonRick,

I've stayed at the Regent Hotels, pre-cruise and it's never been a problem. The local people in charge for the most part do a good job and are organized.

The only time I've had issues were on other lines - one cruise was this summer (Iceland) where you and George were as well - the Hotel where we were was a disaster.

Peggy

That wasn't our experience, and I just don't want to chance it.  Glad it was't your experience.

On ‎10‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 8:29 PM, xrvlcruiser said:

Rachel and RonRick,

Peggy

We stayed in the new downtown Hilton property in Reykjavik (doing our own precruise).  It was wonderful!  And we walked to the ship.

Rachel - you made a good decision.

Our hotel was nice but the staff was overwhelmed but the number of tourists in town - in addition to the group from our ship, there were several other ship groups as well.

. We walked to the ship too - I like being able to do that!

Peggy