Live from Island October 17,2019

arizonaperson

On 10/21/2019 at 8:32 AM, arizonaperson said:

My mom and her husband got invited to the most travelled lunch which will be held on Thursday, October 24th. I believe that is a first time for them.

Do you know what the cutoff number of days was for the lunch?

Love your big font!  Will be on Island in November for partial transit.  Enjoying all your comments and thank you for taking the time to do it.  I do have question on the Falmouth one hour tour.  Do they just go around port area or where do they go?  A scenic or what?  Thanks and have a wonderful and relaxing time.

Live from The Island Princess- October 17, 2019

Panama was yesterday. While we were in I believe lock number two ( Gatun)an ambulance  was on the port side of the ship and took a passenger or crew off. Never heard anything from the ship, just witnessed. We were “right on time” passing under Atlantic bridge at 6:50 am and 9:45 am departed Gatun locks.

About 11 am we arrived at the tender area for our tour. It is a very steep ramp from the dock to the buses.

We had a great tour bus/train. Had A/ C on bus and train.No restroom was on our bus, but there was one on our train. Several opportunities to use the restroom. ( at Agua Clara overlook,train, & train station)We did not go to Fuerte Amador because of the train delay,but that’s ok.We were delayed on the train because the train ahead of us had an issue,we ended up pushing the train in front of us with our engine. We returned to Puerto Cristobal at 6:05 pm from our tour,there was a small arts/ craft vendors right at pier.

Dining was open seating in either dining room from 5pm to 9 pm. 

All aboard was 6:30 pm but the ship didn’t leave until 8 pm.

We turned the clocks back 1 hour.

Limon,Costa Rica- was today-Wednesday.

Had another great tour.Rainforest Adventures tram,lunch, & nature walk.Left on an A/ C bus with a restroom a 7:35 am and arrived at the tram at 9:55 am. Had some rain on the drive, passed lots of agricultural areas and road construction ( hwy 32)is happening for awhile. Making 2 lanes into 4. We got back to the ship at 3:45 pm. At the pier is a craft market right where the buses drop off.

Octoberfest was dinner buffet theme. We turn the clocks ahead 1 hour.

Hope to sleep in tomorrow morning.

My mom will try to remember to ask what most travelled lunch cut off was tomorrow.

Live from Island Princess- October 17, 2019

Sea day today. We needed to catch up on resting and relaxing so we slept in and made it to buffet breakfast about 10:30 am.

Tonight is Gala buffet dinner and Formal/ Lobster night in the dining rooms.

Today at 3 pm is the complimentary grape vine wine tasting for Elite guests.

Tonight is Jon Armstrong a Magic and comedy show at 7:30 pm and 9:30 pm in the Princess Theater.

MUTS today is Dogs Journey home & Old man and a gun.

Marriage match game at 8:30 pm.

We have traditional dining at 7:15pm, we are enjoying that time. PES lounge is in a corner of Explorers, we have attended most nights. Open from 4:30-6:30 pm. Has not been crowded at all.

Actually not too crowded most places on the ship.

Tomorrow evening we will go try out specialty dining in Bayou cafe and steakhouse.

Little cloudy and some rain as we travel toward Grand Cayman. Wind is  47knots across front of ship from Starboard to port or east to west.

Someone asked about trolley in Falmouth. We did not book ahead of time just paid at port for the tour inside the gates. Took cash or credit card. It was 45 min to an hour. It was a very informative history tour pointing out places along the way. We stop n front of historic church- a funeral was going on so I think normally you go inside?? We made one stop along the water for photos and getting your feet wet if you wished. Passed by the hospital,police station,jail,library,homes, and many churches,etc.  We did not see many cruise passengers wandering around the main square when we passed by,maybe there were ??

Nice cruise so far.

Most aggressive county/ city TRYing to sell anything was Cartagena- a bit annoying,but... just an FYI for anyone doing this itinerary soon.

• Like 2

thank you for the updates...wondering what you thought about the Bayou & if the Ilsand has on demand TVs yet (my bro-in-law is really hoping as he loved using that on the Ruby last cruise)...enjoy the rest of your cruise

someone asked about Mexican Vanilla, I don't know where you port in Mexico but you will want it to say Natural Vanilla (all of ours say that in English, even though they came from the interior of Mexico) 

12 minutes ago, travelin.sisters said:

thank you for the updates...wondering what you thought about the Bayou

Had to pipe in on the Bayou, we were on a cruise in April, and it was the absolute worst dining experience we've ever had on a cruise.  The food was terrible.  From the terribly prepared fried green tomatoes to the steak not cooked to order.  We usually love the Crown Grill. This experience was dismal.  The best thing about that meal was getting mardi gras beads, if that tells you anything.  I will say, clearly I would not have tried it again that night, but that's not to say I wouldn't try it on another cruise.  However, if it happens a second time, I'm done.  We've had great luck at the Crown Grill, never a problem in all of our cruises. 

• Like 1

We are in Grand Cayman today about ready to depart for our sea day tomorrow . Last water shuttle to the ship at 4:15 pm. We sailed away about 5 pm.If you don’t want to book a ship tour there are tour operators within the secure area to take you on one. Today Carnival Legend joined us in town. We tendered to Watley dock only a 5 minute ride. We used the shoreside tenders, not the ship’s. We ended up just walking around,it was pretty hot and humid,but as expected. We went to lunch at Margaritaville a short walk from tender pier and had gelato at a   shop near there. Used the free wi fi at Margaritaville. Margaritaville has a pool,so bring your suit if so inclined.

Of course lots going on ,on the ship. Tonight is Craig Richard Instrumentalist back with a new show at 7:30 pm and 9:30 pm.

50 & 60’s rock in roll party at 8:30 pm and quest game show 10:30 pm.

We have enjoyed both piano players- Brian Johnson and Krzysztof. The “ house band” is called Fusion from St. Lucia and we have enjoyed them as well. Saw a Bob Marley tribute last night with Fusion- very nice, but too short.

On MUTS today -the greatest showman & the upside.

Edited by arizonaperson

19 hours ago, jennybenny said:

Had to pipe in on the Bayou, we were on a cruise in April, and it was the absolute worst dining experience we've ever had on a cruise.  The food was terrible.  From the terribly prepared fried green tomatoes to the steak not cooked to order.  We usually love the Crown Grill. This experience was dismal.  The best thing about that meal was getting mardi gras beads, if that tells you anything.  I will say, clearly I would not have tried it again that night, but that's not to say I wouldn't try it on another cruise.  However, if it happens a second time, I'm done.  We've had great luck at the Crown Grill, never a problem in all of our cruises. 

We’ll no crown grill on The Island. We tried Sabatini’s complimentary as a gift,we liked it,would I pay for it- probably not.so tonight we are trying Bayou, I’ll report back.

19 hours ago, travelin.sisters said:

thank you for the updates...wondering what you thought about the Bayou & if the Ilsand has on demand TVs yet (my bro-in-law is really hoping as he loved using that on the Ruby last cruise)...enjoy the rest of your cruise

someone asked about Mexican Vanilla, I don't know where you port in Mexico but you will want it to say Natural Vanilla (all of ours say that in English, even though they came from the interior of Mexico) 

NO on demand tv,limited channels.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, fredflint said:

I am on the island in just a few short months Nov 2021 we have cabin D506 anyone in the group have a cabin near there or are you doing a cabin crawl interested in seeing how open the balcony is.

Thanks

No cabin crawl. I’m sort of near that room,but obviously I can’t bother the occupants. I have d626 and it is a covered balcony,but I don’t think the rooms forward of me on dolphin are covered except D624, but I can’t really see. Your cabin from mine.

Edited by arizonaperson

14 minutes ago, arizonaperson said:

We’ll no crown grill on The Island. We tried Sabatini’s complimentary as a gift,we liked it,would I pay for it- probably not.so tonight we are trying Bayou, I’ll report back.

Yes, We were on the Island in April. There is Crown Grill, Sterling Steakhouse and Bayou, depending on the ship. 

I hope you have a wonderful dinner.  Looking forward to hearing how it goes for you.

The most traveled lunch was a high of 322 days and a low of 177. It was the top 40 passengers. My mom was 4th (265 days)and her husband was down at number? - he had 189 days.

Someone asked in an earlier post.

This is my first Elite cruise and not many Elite are onboard. Laundry only took 1 day- turn in by 9 am and was back the next evening.

Went to Bayou tonight and their were four of us, we all enjoyed it,lot of food. One steak- filet out of 3 was too rare. Ordered it medium,so they sent it back. Try all the ides and all but 1 dessert. We enjoyed the pound cake.

4 hours ago, jennybenny said:

Yes, We were on the Island in April. There is Crown Grill, Sterling Steakhouse and Bayou, depending on the ship. 

I hope you have a wonderful dinner.  Looking forward to hearing how it goes for you.

I guess I’m confused on your post. There is no crown grill or sterling steakhouse on The Island Princess.They do offer a few steaks including the filet mignon  I had at Bayou tonight.

8 minutes ago, arizonaperson said:

I guess I’m confused on your post. There is no crown grill or sterling steakhouse on The Island Princess.They do offer a few steaks including the filet mignon  I had at Bayou tonight.

I know there isn't one on the Island. I know their steakhouse is the Bayou.  I have only been once and hated it.  We usually cruise on ships with Crown grill, we love Crown Grill. My reference to the Crown was that we've always had a good experience there, but not at the Bayou.

I apologize I confused you. 

10 hours ago, jennybenny said:

I know there isn't one on the Island. I know their steakhouse is the Bayou.  I have only been once and hated it.  We usually cruise on ships with Crown grill, we love Crown Grill. My reference to the Crown was that we've always had a good experience there, but not at the Bayou.

I apologize I confused you. 

GOt it. We Enjoy the ships that have crown grill,but we enjoyed Bayou last night as well.

• Like 1

I think the poster asking about Orange Party is a little confused, this thread is regarding a live from the Island Princess. Holland America ships are known for having an 'Orange Party' as it is one of Dutch national colors.

6 hours ago, wallyj said:

I think the poster asking about Orange Party is a little confused, this thread is regarding a live from the Island Princess. Holland America ships are known for having an 'Orange Party' as it is one of Dutch national colors.

Sorry!  We are booked on HAL for Thanksgiving and the Island for Christmas and I got confused about which thread I was on.  Oops! 

Edited by metairiegal

Live from Island Princess- October 17,2019

We just returned from On the Bayou production show,very nice show.

Lots of very cold venues around the ship so bring some “ sleeves”.

Apparently there is now on Princess an Entertainment Director, CD, and can be  up to 3 assistant CD’s. 

Use to be a CD and jr. deputy.

then recently an Entertainment Director ,CD and assistant. Just a change I observed.

I’m not ready to disembark tomorrow,but I did not book a B2B, so I guess ....

It was a very nice itinerary,staff, and ship.

just an FYI we used small USD bills in all the ports.

• Like 1