If I Miss Last Leg Cruise, How Do I Get My Stuff?

stevendom57

I am working on the planning for a cruise out of Rome next year. On the last day of the cruise, we stop in Livorno. Florence is 1.5 hours away, either by train or bus (time is about the same). If, for some reason due to travel delays, I miss the ship, how do I get my belongings off of the ship? I would of course make my way to Rome, as would the ship, but the ship will be unloading everyone. How do I get my stuff off of the ship.

This is of course a worse case scenario. I have NO intention of coming anywhere close to missing the ship, but stuff happens...

Steven

Once you miss the ship, ship's security will enter your room and they will inventory and pack all of your belongings...which will be shipped to you (at your expense) once the ship reaches the final port. There will be no way for you to reboard to collect your belongings.

I should add: Not only will you have to pay the shipping charges, but the cruise line will likely also charge you a fee for having to pack up your belongings for shipment as well.

Edited by SeaShark
  • Like 3

As Homosassa said, best to book the excursion through the cruise line. 

Better yet, take some time before or after your cruise to visit Florence. Visiting Florence for half a day is like going to see a Dallas Cowboys' football game and leaving after the first quarter.  

Edited by DirtyDawg

It’s my understanding that you’re not allowed back on the ship to retrieve belongings at the termination of the cruise, and at some locations, items have to be initially shipped to the cruise line’s offices due to port or customs requirements, even if you’re physically present at the port with the intention to claim your belongings. 

You will get your things back, but it may be days or weeks before you see them again. And as mentioned before, things will be shipped to you at your own expense. Things that go unclaimed will eventually be auctioned off. 

I remember when I lived in Miami. Carnival would hold auctions of unclaimed items. I attended one and I was shocked at the number of items available, literally thousands. Electronics, clothing items, books, suitcases, jewelry, full wardrobes, you name it. All proceeds of the auction would be donated to charity (I forgot which one, either St. Jude or Make a Wish). 

Edited by Tapi
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Tapi said:

It’s my understanding that you’re not allowed back on the ship to retrieve belongings at the termination of the cruise, and at some locations, items have to be initially shipped to the cruise line’s offices due to port or customs requirements, even if you’re physically present at the port with the intention to claim your belongings. 

You will get your things back, but it may be days or weeks before you see them again. And as mentioned before, things will be shipped to you at your own expense. Things that go unclaimed will eventually be auctioned off. 

I remember when I lived in Miami. Carnival would hold auctions of unclaimed items. I attended one and I was shocked at the number of items available, literally thousands. Electronics, clothing items, books, suitcases, jewelry, full wardrobes, you name it. All proceeds of the auction would be donated to charity (I forgot which one, either St. Jude or Make a Wish). 

Interesting. Do you know how I would go about finding one of these auctions?

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, MoniMommy said:

Interesting. Do you know how I would go about finding one of these auctions?

Gosh, that was over a decade ago. I don’t think they publicly advertised them. You had to know somebody who worked for Carnival to learn about these in-house auctions. 

Edited by Tapi
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, stevendom57 said:

I am working on the planning for a cruise out of Rome next year. On the last day of the cruise, we stop in Livorno. Florence is 1.5 hours away, either by train or bus (time is about the same). If, for some reason due to travel delays, I miss the ship, how do I get my belongings off of the ship? I would of course make my way to Rome, as would the ship, but the ship will be unloading everyone. How do I get my stuff off of the ship.

This is of course a worse case scenario. I have NO intention of coming anywhere close to missing the ship, but stuff happens...

Steven

We booked an independent tour. With Rome in Limo. Put it together on our roll call. Established tour operators like Rome in Limo will get you back in time. In any case in your Daily will be the phone number of the port agent. If you do miss the ship contact the port agent. They will contact the ship about your belongings. Always take the port agent number for every port with you just in case. 

Edited by Charles4515

People travel from Livorno to Florence daily.  We have been to Livorno on the Epic a few times and they helpfully provide a shuttle to the train station.  You might have to change in Pisa.  If you are DIYing, in case you contemplate it, do not plan for a stop in Pisa.  There really is not time.  You can do Lucca/Pisa or a ship tour/ private car taking you to Florence/Pisa.  It really is not realistic to DIY Florence?Pisa

As long as you keep your eye on your watch and do not plan on catching the very latest train you can back from Florence, there is little reason to assume that you will miss the ship.  

If you are still worried, there will be a ‘Florence on your own’ tour that you can take.  That is a sensible option.  Florence is lovely, it is like an open air museum.  We did not visit any art galleries when we went, we just enjoyed the architecture and had a lovely lunch taking in the atmosphere.  

11 minutes ago, ollienbertsmum said:

If you are still worried, there will be a ‘Florence on your own’ tour that you can take.

That is what I am planning, getting there myself (or a NCL sponsored transportation option) and then taking a viator or other similar tour. My trip is next September, so NCL excursions are not available yet. Taking either the bus or train is about the same amount of time (~1.5 hours) but I am thinking that the train will be reliable. 

Anyway, I would not take the last train. The ship leaves at 8pm so probably taking a 4pm train back to Livorno.

Thanks for the info.

1 minute ago, stevendom57 said:

That is what I am planning, getting there myself (or a NCL sponsored transportation option) and then taking a viator or other similar tour. My trip is next September, so NCL excursions are not available yet. Taking either the bus or train is about the same amount of time (~1.5 hours) but I am thinking that the train will be reliable. 

Anyway, I would not take the last train. The ship leaves at 8pm so probably taking a 4pm train back to Livorno.

Thanks for the info.

8 pm sounds good - we have always done a 7 am - 7 pm stop.  The train should be reliable.  Stuff occasionally happens, but the urban myth of ‘strikes’ as being an issue is something that would have been announced ahead of time.  

On 10/19/2019 at 10:23 AM, SeaShark said:

Once you miss the ship, ship's security will enter your room and they will inventory and pack all of your belongings...which will be shipped to you (at your expense) once the ship reaches the final port. There will be no way for you to reboard to collect your belongings. I should add: Not only will you have to pay the shipping charges, but the cruise line will likely also charge you a fee for having to pack up your belongings for shipment as well.

Always remembering that if you lock your suitcases (as we do), the ship's crew is not going to break in. They will bag your belongings and send them along. 

And if your travel documents are not readily accessible, you'll be spending the day [/multiple days] getting your passport reissued before you would be allowed to travel back to Texas. 

1 hour ago, BirdTravels said:

Always remembering that if you lock your suitcases (as we do), the ship's crew is not going to break in. 

Are you sure about that?  A couple of cruises ago, my suitcase was late arriving at the cabin.  When it finally arrived, the TSA lock was broken and the suitcase contents were in disarray.  If they were looking for contraband, they didn’t find any, and I wasn’t called to the naughty room.  I’m guessing that the suspicious item was an aluminum water bottle. 

Edited by luvcruzing