Where To Get Hot And Wet - Lagoons, Bath Houses, Spas and Other Indulgences

Liz Masterson

WHOA!  😲

WHAT'S THIS ALL ABOUT?

I have recently been looking at the lagoons in Iceland and wondered if there was one place where Viking Ocean travelers could find out more about the places to get "Hot and Wet" on their Viking journeys.  I've been reading up on the Geo Thermal Lagoons in Iceland, but I know there are Turkish Bathhouses and Spas all over the world that would qualify for a mention in this thread. Viking Ships all have their own spas on board! Maybe someone will post reviews on the Viking Ship Spas as well... and the Nordic Bathing Ritual that the ships feature. 

The idea is to post about places you've already visited... or post research about places you are looking forward to enjoying... pictures are welcome but be careful about what is in the frame when you snap that shot! 

We are especially looking for experiences at ports where Viking calls, or where you can book a pre-cruise or post cruise extension either with Viking or on your own. 

Looking forward to hearing about all of the places you've been! 

Steam-Room.jpg

• Like 1

I have recently been looking at the lagoons.

There is the famous Blue Lagoon ( https://www.bluelagoon.com/ ) Which many people go to on the way to or from tha airport. They have a place to store luggage and various price points... some quite luxurious. Viking has some excursions there as well.

At the Akureyri Port there are 2 excursion opeions that stop at 'lagoons' one looks more like a pool. 

Mývatn Nature Baths ( https://myvatnnaturebaths.is/ ) is 5 hours including the baths. 

Húsavík Geobaths... refered to as a sea bath... ( https://www.geosea.is/en ) is 7 hours including the baths.

I also found this article comparing Blue Lagoon and Myvatn.

https://icelandmag.is/article/icelands-two-blue-water-pools-blue-lagoon-vs-myvatn-nature-baths

Yes it's early... I'm not going until the summer of 2020, but fun to dream and plan!

Edited by Liz Masterson
  • Like 1

Noteworthy hot springs visited & recommended: 

Thermae Bath Spa, Bath, England

Miskolctapolca, Misckolc, Hungary

Hamner Springs, New Zealand

Hot Creek near Mammoth Lakes, California (now closed, too many people cooked in it)

Plan to visit next year:

Myvatn Lagoon near Akureyri, Iceland

Secret Lagoon off Golden Circle, near Reykjavik, Iceland

• Like 1

We just went to the Blue Lagoon last month(not with Viking) and it was amazing.  Depending on the package you buy, they give you a bracelet with a chip in it.  The bracelet opens a locker and keeps track of any purchased you make.  The package we had included a towel and a drink.  You can purchase up to 4 drinks total.  The day we went it was misting and about 44 degrees.  The water was about 98 degrees  and comes up to about chest high.  It was  very comfortable.  You shower beforehand.  There are blow dryers, soaps, and shampoos in the locker room.  Quite a set up.  Certain times of the year I think you need reservations as it gets quite crowded.  If you bought the excursion through your cruise company, they would have that covered.

• Like 1

We are seasoned Viking Ocean cruises having been on 6 so far.  One reason is I LOVE the spa area on Viking.

We have been to Iceland and have been to both The Blue Lagoon and another that we stopped at on a non-Viking excursion.  Promoted as a "Secret Lagoon".  Also a great experience in that it was in a small community and more locals were attending.

I've also been to Baden-Baden and had an incredible time.  A unique experience, one not to be missed.

I would like to go to Das Central in Austria.  10 different saunas & steamrooms!  Sounds like my kind of place!

Of course the last two are not on any Viking trips (that I'm aware of).

My one piece of advice for any and all spas....Take your time.  Don't be rushed.  Relax, unwind and enjoy yourself.  If we had it to do over again, we would most certainly re-visit these spas, only on our time schedule.  I don't want to feel as though I'm 'racing the clock' and have to leave before I want to.  That's what I love about the Spa on the Viking Ocean ships.  I can visit as often as I want, and stay as long as I want.  And it's all included in the price.

• Like 2

Laugarvatn Fontana Geothermal Baths is a spectacular location on the Golden Circle, I've been there twice. I've never been to Blue Lagoon, though.

One thing that I find important in a spa is an opportunity to sufficiently cool down. In tourist spots, it seems rare that this is available (i'm talking a cold plunge less than 60F). There are a couple of places locally, here in Seattle, but the only other places that I've been able to find that on vacation was in Iceland (see above) and, surprisingly, the Disney spa in Hawaii.

If cold is not important to you, Hotel 1898 in Barcelona has a beautiful spa in the basement. There is a cold bucket, but not the same as a cold plunge imo.

• Like 1

There is this Viking tour in Vigo, Spain:

Mondariz & Palacio del Agua

Relax and enjoy the tranquil thermal waters at Palacio del Agua. Your scenic drive from Vigo will take you through the old Berbes Quarter and the fishing quarter of Bouzas to the thermal village of Mondariz. Famous for the properties of its waters, Mondariz is home to the Palacio del Agua (Water Palace). Here, you will enjoy the large swimming pool with a cascading waterfall, bubble chairs, water-massage seats, a hydro-massage toadstool, as well as a "Celtic Spa," featuring a cave sauna and an outdoor Japanese bath/pool. Refreshments including Mondariz mineral water, soft drinks, regional wine, tea, and a selection of tapas will be served, and you will also have the chance to see the region’s most famous mineral spring, Fuente de Gándara, which was discovered in 1872 and gave birth to the spa.

• Like 2

On 10/28/2019 at 10:47 AM, Etexvrc said:

We are seasoned Viking Ocean cruises having been on 6 so far.  One reason is I LOVE the spa area on Viking.

That's what I love about the Spa on the Viking Ocean ships.  I can visit as often as I want, and stay as long as I want.  And it's all included in the price.

Hi Etexvrc -

We totally agree!  We'll be seeing you for sure then at the spa on our Jupiter South America cruise in a few weeks!

We do love the whole "free" spa arrangement.  Yes - very relaxing!   Have you done the water bucket?  Of course you have!

• Like 2

18 hours ago, CCWineLover said:

Hi Etexvrc -

We totally agree!  We'll be seeing you for sure then at the spa on our Jupiter South America cruise in a few weeks!

We do love the whole "free" spa arrangement.  Yes - very relaxing!   Have you done the water bucket?  Of course you have!

Yes.  I can't say I LOVE the water bucket, but do partake after my steam room (as its only feet away).

In the locker room, after my sauna, I end with a dip in the cold water pool.  Now that took longer to build up the courage for!

But the included spa area is my biggest draw to cruising with Viking.

Edited by Etexvrc
  • Like 2

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Sigh.... I didn't get to enjoy the spa on the Sky this summer... but will look forward to using the one on the Jupiter next summer. 

I saw this old post and thought ...

HEY! I should book a spa day here in my new city of Nashua, NH... and then I thought again... duh... damn pandemic. 

Edited by Liz Masterson
spelling
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Visited: 

*My favorite hot springs of all time is in Ojo Caliente, NM. The water there is unlike anywhere else. They have arsenic, lithium, soda, and iron pools, alongside a mud pool. The resort is a little rough around the edges, but the water makes up for it in every wayhttps://ojocaliente.ojospa.com/?_ga=2.50480938.2065322571.1596064928-1320214203.1596064928

Bucket List: 

*Homestead Crater: https://www.gohebervalley.com/Homestead-Crater-Outfitter

*Ischia: https://www.tripsavvy.com/ischia-thermal-parks-and-healing-spas-1547082#:~:text=Ischia%2C an island in the,of health treatments including rheumatism

*Blue Spring in Putaruru, NZ: https://www.waikatonz.com/experiences/walking-hiking-trails/blue-spring-te-waihou-walkway/

*Onsens in Japan: https://www.jrailpass.com/blog/best-onsen-in-japan

*Thermal waters in Iceland - as many as I can humanly visit. 

Edited by luxecruisers
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jim Avery said:

Castle Hot Springs Resort North of Phoenix has been restored and re opened recently.  If you are into mineral hot springs it might be worth a look.

Thank you, Jim Avery! El Dorado Hot Springs in Tonopah never appealed to me, but this looks really nice.

• 8 months later...
41 minutes ago, Liz Masterson said:

Well... well... well....

it seems that the Blue Lagoon has some new competition! 

https://www.skylagoon.com

Well, this indeed looks intriguing !  Just about ready to book the 26 June 2021 Viking Iceland trip  and will be going in a day or two early to take advantage of a hot spring and a small group tour of the Golden Circle. Will definitely check this out as an option versus the Blue Lagoon.  

• Like 1

When I was between marriages I had a season pass at Mammoth.  I would often camp at the hot springs east of the Green Church.  I was a lifts open to close skier so I didn’t know nightlife.  I would grab dinner after skiing and then enjoy a few beers while soaking and be sleeping by nine and then wake up early and soak while watching the daylight appearance staring at the escarpment known as the Eastern Sierra Nevada.  Sadly hot springs a few years later got very well known and popular thanks to something called the internet.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, PasadenaDave said:

When I was between marriages I had a season pass at Mammoth.  I would often camp at the hot springs east of the Green Church.  I was a lifts open to close skier so I didn’t know nightlife.  I would grab dinner after skiing and then enjoy a few beers while soaking and be sleeping by nine and then wake up early and soak while watching the daylight appearance staring at the escarpment known as the Eastern Sierra Nevada.  Sadly hot springs a few years later got very well known and popular thanks to something called the internet.

Always nice to be in the know before the crowds find a spot!

LADIES ONLY! 

If you happen to be cruising with Viking on one of the Great Lakes Expedition Itineraries and find yourself in Toronto... The Body Blitz Spa is the place to go. It's closed due to COVID restrictions at the moment, but friends report it to be a lovely way to spend some time relaxing with friends. 

Sorry Gents... this really is just for the ladies. 

https://bodyblitzspa.com/bbs/portfolio-items/therapeutic-waters/

20DD0069-57D7-4E24-A017-A9F3DE157DE6_1_201_a.jpeg

Edited by Liz Masterson
spelling