P&O Shuttle to Amsterdam from Ijmuiden

southsea66

@southsea66

Howdy! emo22.gif

Thank you for your post and welcome back to Cruise Critic! 👍

I have moved your thread to the correct forum.

And don't forget, after your cruise be sure to go to our Member Cruise Reviews section and submit your review for publication!

Again, so glad to have you back aboard Cruise Critic! emo35.gif

Happy sails,

Host Kat emo32.gif

Edited by Host Kat
Fat fingers & skinny keys!
  • Like 1

Hi, I haven't used the shuttle, but I was looking for the same information and came across this youtube video from April/May 2019.  At about 2 minutes in the shuttle journey is covered.  Not sure of the exact location or if things have changed since then, but it seems to be 5 minutes from the city centre (one of the river cruise docks?).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvoxdzmSB6w

The shuttle when we went on the first P&O arrival at Ijmuiden dropped passengers off by the river cruise boats near to Grand Central Station, 5-10 minutes stroll to the centre....a nice drop off spot. Takes 30-40 minutes journey time.

I understand the reasons why they are no longer berthing right in Amsterdam but this will spoil the New Years Eve cruises as part of the attraction was seeing the fireworks from being berthed right in the city centre. The area around Ijmuiden is largely docks. Surely it would be better to now do Hamburg as first choice?

• Like 1

On Ventura in IJmuiden today

Shuttle into Amsterdam , leaving here @ 8.40 took 62 minutes through heavy rush hour traffic.  We had to leave early to meet up with our free walking tour.  Very good, if anyone fancies that.  Two and a half hours, with a 20 minute stop half way.  
 Return, just now, was 40 minutes.

As Hansol states above, the drop off point is the area right by the river cruise embarkation point ... so very slightly closer to the city than the cruise ship dock, which is just a bit further on.   The same fairly crowded and unattractive walk into the centre.  There was a long queue to return but several coaches waiting, others arriving and staff on hand marshalling and assisting.  By the time we walked to the back of the queue and then walked forward again to alight there was no actual queueing at all, if you get my drift - no standing around.

Hope that helps

2 hours ago, eddie11 said:

On Ventura in IJmuiden today

Shuttle into Amsterdam , leaving here @ 8.40 took 62 minutes through heavy rush hour traffic.  We had to leave early to meet up with our free walking tour.  Very good, if anyone fancies that.  Two and a half hours, with a 20 minute stop half way.  
 Return, just now, was 40 minutes.

As Hansol states above, the drop off point is the area right by the river cruise embarkation point ... so very slightly closer to the city than the cruise ship dock, which is just a bit further on.   The same fairly crowded and unattractive walk into the centre.  There was a long queue to return but several coaches waiting, others arriving and staff on hand marshalling and assisting.  By the time we walked to the back of the queue and then walked forward again to alight there was no actual queueing at all, if you get my drift - no standing around.

Hope that helps

Fantastic 'live' feedback, thank you. 

We are there in 3 weeks time, think we will try the walking tour. 

Thank you for the heads up, enjoy the rest of your holiday. 

Andy 

I hope they have now got arrival and the start of shuttles better organised.  I too was on the first call to Ijmuiden and it was an unmitigated disaster as understandably, everyone wanted off as quickly as possible.  The second day was better.

4 hours ago, philsuarez said:

I understand the reasons why they are no longer berthing right in Amsterdam but this will spoil the New Years Eve cruises as part of the attraction was seeing the fireworks from being berthed right in the city centre. The area around Ijmuiden is largely docks. Surely it would be better to now do Hamburg as first choice?

Noo, you can't come to Hamburg New Year's eve, we are there on Ventura. 

That's why we chose it over the Arcadia cruise. 

Andy 

Hamburg is fabulous place to visit. If you get a chance go to the model railway/miniature village in the Hafen City. Book online as wait can be 5-6 hours otherwise. Depending where you berth you may be close to city centre but otherwise can be a short taxi ride

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AndyMichelle said:

Fantastic 'live' feedback, thank you. 

We are there in 3 weeks time, think we will try the walking tour. 

Thank you for the heads up, enjoy the rest of your holiday. 

Andy 

Thanks

It was the Sandeman’s(?) red umbrella tour.  Book online.  Our guide was Axel, who was very, very good.

We docked before 7am this morning.  Shuttles were ready and I think a few intrepid travellers braved the rain and the dark

It improved greatly during the day, though soggy at times

• Like 1

The first trip was a fiasco because the ship arrived ready for disembarkation at about 1 o’clock pm by which time the whole ship was ready to get off causing massive queues. After feedback to P&O from passengers involved the ship I think arrives ready to disembark at 8.00am. This eases the pressure on coaches as passengers are doing other things. On one side of the (port...long piece of concrete with no facilities) port is a nice harbour with a nice beach, the other side very industrial...a small Port Talbot steelworks.  Still better than the Rotterdam rip off with £40+ per person (tour/basically a shuttle bus) coach trip. At least the Idjmuiden shuttles are free.

9 hours ago, hansol1966 said:

The first trip was a fiasco because the ship arrived ready for disembarkation at about 1 o’clock pm by which time the whole ship was ready to get off causing massive queues. After feedback to P&O from passengers involved the ship I think arrives ready to disembark at 8.00am. This eases the pressure on coaches as passengers are doing other things. On one side of the (port...long piece of concrete with no facilities) port is a nice harbour with a nice beach, the other side very industrial...a small Port Talbot steelworks.  Still better than the Rotterdam rip off with £40+ per person (tour/basically a shuttle bus) coach trip. At least the Idjmuiden shuttles are free.

I noticed the Amsterdam cruises tend to be two full days now. When we went right into Amsterdam it was a day and a half - this explains it!

Sounds like P&O have it much better organised now.

If the drop off is at the station,that's only up the road from the downtown terminal.Cross the bridge and you're in the red light district and cannabis bars.Any puritans can put on their blinkers and carry on to the rest of the sights,lol.Surprising how many peeps asked our guide how to get there.It's not on the normal itinererary,to respect the ladies on display.Right,when I was a plumber I didn't want busloads of tourists looking thru the window at me working.

7 hours ago, brian1 said:

If the drop off is at the station,that's only up the road from the downtown terminal.Cross the bridge and you're in the red light district and cannabis bars.Any puritans can put on their blinkers and carry on to the rest of the sights,lol.Surprising how many peeps asked our guide how to get there.It's not on the normal itinererary,to respect the ladies on display.Right,when I was a plumber I didn't want busloads of tourists looking thru the window at me working.

Nobody wants to see your hairy backside Brian!! 😊

Curiosity is why they want to go there. 

Andy 

We went in Yesterday to Amsterdam and we had to wait ages and ages at least 3 minutes. Of on in, in less than an hour. Adapted bus on return very easy each time there were 3/4 coaches waiting for passengers. 6 hours in Amsterdam was enough for us. Idle day today.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, daiB said:

We went in Yesterday to Amsterdam and we had to wait ages and ages at least 3 minutes. Of on in, in less than an hour. Adapted bus on return very easy each time there were 3/4 coaches waiting for passengers. 6 hours in Amsterdam was enough for us. Idle day today.

Enjoy your cruise daib.

We were fortunate to dock in the centre on our New Year's cruise on Ventura in 2016.

Years ago we were on DFDS from North Shields and docked in Ijmuiden and got the shuttle into the centre of Amsterdam. 

Have you been on DFDS and if so do P&O shuttles drop off in the same place?

Graham.

11 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Enjoy your cruise daib.

We were fortunate to dock in the centre on our New Year's cruise on Ventura in 2016.

Years ago we were on DFDS from North Shields and docked in Ijmuiden and got the shuttle into the centre of Amsterdam. 

Have you been on DFDS and if so do P&O shuttles drop off in the same place?

Graham.

No its behind the Central station on the river/canal side

Thanks for all the helpful (and some amusing replies to my question). We were disappointed when P&O changed the itinerary to Ijmuiden but it seems as if they have now got things organised. Hope the shuttles run frequently through the night as we are meeting family who live in Amsterdam and will be going back to the ship well after midnight.

• Like 1