Toilet Hygiene

dgs1956

1 minute ago, davecttr said:

I edited it out as the things I have said about P&O ships 'health' in the past have upset some.

Strange that the only ships we have experienced Noro on were 2 occasions on Princess and 1 on Celebrity, never had one on P&O and we have now sailed with them most often.

3 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Strange that the only ships we have experienced Noro on were 2 occasions on Princess and 1 on Celebrity, never had one on P&O and we have now sailed with them most often.

I have had a similar strangeness in that I have cruised with P&O 22 times and 'Marella' 24 times plus NCL once. I had a  1 day cabin confinement on Thomson several years ago and four 2 day confinements on P&O, one of which ruined my world segment cruise and the last two were on the same 12 day cruise on Oceana. That has put me off P&O cruising for now but I might try them again. I also have periodic IBS flare ups but can handle that myself as it is not infectious. Of course this may just be normal statistical variation.

11 hours ago, AndyMichelle said:

Rubbish, nobody outside the boys brigade knows the second verse of the National Anthem... 

Andy 

Alright,I was on a wind up,it's "Bubbles".Still longer than happy birthday twice.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, davecttr said:

I have had a similar strangeness in that I have cruised with P&O 22 times and 'Marella' 24 times plus NCL once. I had a  1 day cabin confinement on Thomson several years ago and four 2 day confinements on P&O, one of which ruined my world segment cruise and the last two were on the same 12 day cruise on Oceana. That has put me off P&O cruising for now but I might try them again. I also have periodic IBS flare ups but can handle that myself as it is not infectious. Of course this may just be normal statistical variation.

I have witnessed a Noro outbreak on Azura and on Britannia. I wrote to P&O about the lack of hand washing or use of anti bac at the Buffet on Britannia. They eventually replied to say that their passengers were adult and could decide for themselves whether to clean their hands or not. Good in theory.

Edited by dgs1956

10 minutes ago, dgs1956 said:

I have witnessed a Noro outbreak on Azura and on Britannia. I wrote to P&O about the lack of hand washing or use of anti bac at the Buffet on Britannia. They eventually replied to say that their passengers were adult and could decide for themselves whether to clean their hands or not. Good in theory.

Which probably means they have given up trying. some people are only interested in themselves and just don't care. As for them never getting an infection, put that down to luck or rather statistical variation. some people are lucky all their lives. This is not special, with several billions people alive you are going to get a lot who are 'lucky' all the time. That 'luck' could end this afternoon.

I read somewhere that on HAL they serve the food in the buffet, a bit like our staff restaurant, you go along the line and they place the items on your plate

15 minutes ago, davecttr said:

Which probably means they have given up trying. some people are only interested in themselves and just don't care. As for them never getting an infection, put that down to luck or rather statistical variation. some people are lucky all their lives. This is not special, with several billions people alive you are going to get a lot who are 'lucky' all the time. That 'luck' could end this afternoon.

I read somewhere that on HAL they serve the food in the buffet, a bit like our staff restaurant, you go along the line and they place the items on your plate

I agree. I find it hard to understand why anyone would think that the increase it allergies nowadays is down to too much hygiene and why they think a little bit of bacteria keeps your system functioning properly. 

I also think that buffets, particularly on cruise ships because of the confined area, should be served to people.

Some of the problem is habit.

I absolutely always want to wash my hands thoroughly and carry my own anti-virus hand sprays, but if one uses (I think especially gents public toilets) washing ones hands can make them dirtier than not doing so! I think that many (men?) therefore get out of the habit of doing so in public loos and that continues to hotels and cruise ship public toilets. The standards that local authorities allow in many public conveniences which are disgraceful, do affect how people behave in other places.

That is not said as an excuse, but my opinion as to why some of the behaviour we all complain about happens.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dgs1956 said:

I agree. I find it hard to understand why anyone would think that the increase it allergies nowadays is down to too much hygiene and why they think a little bit of bacteria keeps your system functioning properly. 

I also think that buffets, particularly on cruise ships because of the confined area, should be served to people.

It is actually true.  too much anti-bac being used, stops your own immune system from operating properly.  I am not talking about using the gel on board, yes I do use that.  And I also use a paper towel when leaving the loo.  That's fairly good sense.  Have seen 3 outbreaks of Noro, once on Oriana, once on Balmoral and once on our only time on Azura.  However, it's fairly common in hospitals and schools.

I also wish people would cough or sneeze into a hankie.  My husband and friend were sneezed over in the theatre from beind, both of them now have colds.

Edited by jeanlyon

20 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

It is actually true.  too much anti-bac being used, stops your own immune system from operating properly.  I am not talking about using the gel on board, yes I do use that.  And I also use a paper towel when leaving the loo.  That's fairly good sense.  Have seen 3 outbreaks of Noro, once on Oriana, once on Balmoral and once on our only time on Azura.  However, it's fairly common in hospitals and schools.

I also wish people would cough or sneeze into a hankie.  My husband and friend were sneezed over in the theatre from beind, both of them now have colds.

If you use only a small amount of anti-bac and you don't actually kill the bacteria then they become stronger and can resist anti-bac that is the problem with anti-biotics where people have taken them too often and have not completed the course.

• Like 1

I returned from my cruise on Wednesday and guess what folks, I have been 'zapped' this morning. I don't think it is noro but time will tell. I also have a cold with a sore throat and lots of coughing so it might be that, time will tell.

There is no excuse for not washing your hands, but I am allergic to the cheap nasty anti bacterial gel onboard so cannot use it, and I know several others who are too. A friend who is a nurse said that handwashing is by far the most effective way of avoiding illness.

2 hours ago, davecttr said:

I returned from my cruise on Wednesday and guess what folks, I have been 'zapped' this morning. I don't think it is noro but time will tell. I also have a cold with a sore throat and lots of coughing so it might be that, time will tell.

Having had noro virus that doesnt sound like the start of noro just a usual cruise cough or cold. If it was noro you would have severe stomach cramps and be living not far from the nearest toilet.

4 hours ago, davecttr said:

I have all these symptoms too Dave and haven't been on a cruise since June. 

Hope you feel better soon. 

Andy