Toilet Hygiene

dgs1956

Doesnt surprise me in the least. I can of course only speak for males but many times see males use the facilities either onboard ships or other places and leave without washing their hands. Always said I would love to stand by the door and everyone that doesnt wash their hands spray yellow paint on their back so everyone knows they are unclean and have filthy personal hygiene.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Lots of ladies either leave without washing their hands or just put them under the tap for a few seconds, then shake some water off and open the door with wet hands. This is actually worse as the germs spread easier from wet hands to door handles, lift buttons etc.

So, yes, wash hands with soap and water please everyone.

• Like 2

Having lunch in a 5 star hotel in Glasgow a man took his little girl to the gents toilet. Both emerged and walked straight out without washing their hands. What an example to set a child 😞

• Like 1

Always use a tisue to open doors, even if it is toilet roll tissue.

Fred Olsen have doors which open with a large "handle" that you can just hit with the back of your hand.

Perhaps all cruise lines should fit non touching opening doors.

1 hour ago, Pentlands said:

Fred Olsen have doors which open with a large "handle" that you can just hit with the back of your hand.

Its not just a problem on cruise ships though. All public toilets should be fitted with non touch doors

4 hours ago, Pentlands said:

I always use the 'disabled' button with my elbow.

Simon

14 hours ago, AndyMichelle said:

I love a good hygiene thread... 😊

Happy birthday to you twice for me, I'm a fine clean boy. 

Andy 

I'm cleaner than you and patriotic.I sing all verses of the National Anthem.

• Like 1

I once saw a waitress come out of a toilet and make her way to the door without washing her hands. When I remonstrated she replied  “it doesn’t  apply to me because I have gloves on”.   I’m still trying to work out the reasoning behind her remark.

• Like 2

You can generally tell when an outbreak has occurred on cruise lines because when it happens they adopt a policy of propping toilet doors open so that when users leave the room nobody needs to touch the door handle.  I think the door handle to the toilets is the weak point because if you do wash your hands when you leave the room touching the handle is where you can come into conflict with those who do not and use the same handle.

Regards John

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Tablelamp said:

I once saw a waitress come out of a toilet and make her way to the door without washing her hands. When I remonstrated she replied  “it doesn’t  apply to me because I have gloves on”.   I’m still trying to work out the reasoning behind her remark.

That is frightening. Presumably not on P&O. When the gloves are on they think they can handle money etc as if the gloves avoid any contamination. 

I worry about the deep concern some people display when discussing these issues, yes it is appalling to see someone walk out of a toilet without washing their hands, but in my experience it is so infrequent that it does not worry me; and of course to pass on things like Noro or e-coli someone has to have the illness in the first place, which again is very rare.

Then we have people taking antiseptic wipes on their holidays, and wiping down all the surfaces in their cabin or room, whilst having no statistics to back up my assumption, I would imagine that living in a sterile bubble is likely to lead your immune system to become extremely lazy and non productive, best in my opinion to keep it supplied with the odd random bug to ensure its fit for purpose when needed.

Get a life everyone and stop worrying yourselves into an early grave. 

• Like 4

Totally agree with you.  I don't antiseptic wipe anything either at home or away.  Neither of us have ever been ill with stomach problems on a ship, although we have had the occasional cold which is airborne anyway.  The more anti-this and that, the less good your immune system will be.  So many kids with allergies these days, not when I was young.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

I worry about the deep concern some people display when discussing these issues, yes it is appalling to see someone walk out of a toilet without washing their hands, but in my experience it is so infrequent that it does not worry me; and of course to pass on things like Noro or e-coli someone has to have the illness in the first place, which again is very rare.

Then we have people taking antiseptic wipes on their holidays, and wiping down all the surfaces in their cabin or room, whilst having no statistics to back up my assumption, I would imagine that living in a sterile bubble is likely to lead your immune system to become extremely lazy and non productive, best in my opinion to keep it supplied with the odd random bug to ensure its fit for purpose when needed.

Get a life everyone and stop worrying yourselves into an early grave. 

That's the beauty of a Forum, everyone is entitled to an opinion. 

7 hours ago, Tablelamp said:

I would have asked for her name and gone straight to reception and reported her and I am sure P&O would have not been very happy.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, dgs1956 said:

That's the beauty of a Forum, everyone is entitled to an opinion. 

I have suffered from gastro intestinal problems for some time so am carefaul about washing hands etc. I visit my local shopping centre several times a week and after having coffee visit the toilets. On two or three occasions per week someone leaves without washing their hands.

Edited by davecttr
  • Like 1