My favorite food item on a Regent Cruise is....

JC in CA

We found a couple really wonderful food items on our first Regent Cruise earlier this month.  Thought perhaps people might want to share their favorites....

In Compass Rose for breakfast there is an item on the left bottom part of the menu that was fantastic - called "Frozen Blueberry and Banana bowl" - was pureed bluberries, frozen (think sorbet) on top of small squares of various fruit (banana, kiwi, watermelon, etc - seemed to vary by the day) and topped with almond slices.  Really tasty and a good start to our day

In Chartreuse - the scallops were very good, as was the cheese souffle.

Many other really good items, but these 3 stood out for us.

Anyone else have favorites?

IMG_3572.jpg

IMG_3558.jpg

• Like 2

Miso glazed sea bass

Osaka power bowl (lunch entree from new plant based menu items)

Chickpea pancake (breakfast entree from new plant based menu items)

Teriyaki roasted salmon fillet (breakfast in Compasd Rose)

.....I could  continue....

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Kwaj girl said:

....I could  continue....

I know what you mean!  I've seen the Miso glazed sea bass talked about a lot - recommended it to my husband- he loved it.  

So much great food on a Regent cruise.....

Strictly speaking I cannot answer this because I have yet to board a Regent ship (only 308 days to go !), but based on current menus I am determined to find out if I like the following;

Pacific Rim - tempura lobster

Prime 7 - veal tomahawk (oh yeah😁)

Charteuse - those scallops sure look good

• Like 1

Great thread JC - but my goodness you are making me hungry!!

We love the Prime Rib of beef in Prime 7 and the Mexican and Indian buffets (I know the Mexican food on board is not the best but we love it anyway and the Indian is pretty decent for "normal" Indian food).  One memorable time there were soft shell crabs on the menu in the CR.  We had TWO helpings of those.  Our waiter then asked if we wouldn't like to have them again - how could we refuse?   So two nights later we had another two portions!!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Belfast Taxman said:

Charteuse - those scallops sure look good

Belfast,

The scallops have a very thin slice of chorizo on top.  Really good!  I love scallops and had them 4 different dinners- I think they are served in all restaurants - maybe not Sette Mari.

I am sure you will enjoy!

Jerie

It probably shouldn’t be, but my favourite is the Prime rib, in Prime 7 too. Rather have that, than a starter and dessert, so maybe not too naughty. Can’t wait to have my first of November voyage, booked for embarkation day. Think that will be a great start to SA cruise. Yummy

• Like 1

2 hours ago, boblerm said:

Caramel Popcorn Sundae

I loved the caramel popcorn part - not so keen on it being paired with ice cream though.  I talked to the waiter- he said that they will serve just the caramel popcorn - but we never made it back to Prime 7 to order that 😞  Next time!!!

I’ve got to go with a delightful starter called panko shrimp. I cannot get enough of them. A close second would be the prime rib served for lunch on embarkation day simply because it sets the tone for the rest of the cruise. Add a little Malbec wine and I am happier than a pig in mud. 

Z and TB

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Pinksunset said:

Kwaj girl, those plant based food selections sound wonderful! Can’t wait for our next cruise! 

We had the new  Plant Based menu on our last Mariner cruise in September. It is not that much different than the prior vegan fair. Still to much processed junk vegan food. They are the very bottom of the learning curve.  But if you tell them that you are true plant based and to leave out the fake stuff, processed oils and nut cheeses, etc. they can do a real good job. Chef Kelly is the best and Chef Shaun is right up there.

J

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, wishIweretravelling said:

Also the Compass Rose escargot

+1, but not the version served in Chartreuse 

3 hours ago, wishIweretravelling said:

steak tartare in any of the restaurants that serve it.

The steak tartare in Chartreuse is our favourite in preference to that in Prime 7

13 hours ago, JMARINER said:

We had the new  Plant Based menu on our last Mariner cruise in September. It is not that much different than the prior vegan fair. Still to much processed junk vegan food. They are the very bottom of the learning curve.  But if you tell them that you are true plant based and to leave out the fake stuff, processed oils and nut cheeses, etc. they can do a real good job. Chef Kelly is the best and Chef Shaun is right up there.

J

While I will avoid the "impossible burger" type of processed food I would definitely say that several of the new items do not fall into that category:  this is the Chickpea Pancake topped with freshspinach, mushroom quarters, cherry tomato halves, shredded carrots and a delightfully spicy harissa sauce.  Now THAT'S breakfast,IMG-20191016-WA0002.thumb.jpeg.2093747933e9da3412c022c4c709e25d.jpeg

• Like 3

12 hours ago, flossie009 said:

+1, but not the version served in Chartreuse 

The steak tartare in Chartreuse is our favourite in preference to that in Prime 7

On my one previous outing on Explorer, I tried to decide which was my favorite steak tartare. I finally concluded that it was whichever one I was eating at the time.

Agree on the escargot. It's the Compass Rose one that I love. There was a French bistro near my former home that made its escargot the way Chartreuse does. They eventually changed it to something more akin to Compass Rose's because people didn't care for it. I was told by the owner that the original was more "authentic" but by one of the waiters that the differences were regional. I forget which part of France favors which style.

Edited by wishIweretravelling
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Kwaj girl said:

a delightfully spicy harissa sauce....

Looks good. Do yo have any idea what they put into the harissa sauce? Looks like it is some sort of cream base rather than just chilies and spices.

J

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Kwaj girl said:

While I will avoid the "impossible burger" type of processed food I would definitely say that several of the new items do not fall into that category: imageproxy.php?img=&key=6ee4bfcebcfde1cb this is the Chickpea Pancake topped with freshspinach, mushroom quarters, cherry tomato halves, shredded carrots and a delightfully spicy harissa sauce.  Now THAT'S breakfast,

I absolutely agree with you 100% Kwaj girl !

As an (ageing) long time non meat eater (but not strictly Vegan)  I was delighted to read of Regent's attempt at satisfying the increasing demand for 'Plant Based' foods. I was even more pleased to find the products on our recent Voyager cruise.

The Chickpea Pancake dish you mention was absolutely delicious ! My new favourite dish !!

I also very much enjoyed a couple of other Vegan breakfast dishes - the Avocado mash on Rustic Toast, and the non dairy coconut yoghurt topped with granola.

The Head Waiter responsible for handling guests dietary needs advised me that the Plant Based dishes were very popular with meat eaters !

I certainly don't agree that Regent are 'bottom of the learning curve' as has been suggested . These products - IMHO - are of excellent quality and true to the 'plant based' ethos.         

Edited by machotspur
typo
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, JMARINER said:

Looks good. Do yo have any idea what they put into the harissa sauce? Looks like it is some sort of cream base rather than just chilies and spices.

J

Might be mayo/yogurt base - will ask tomorrow at breakfast

Edited by Kwaj girl

17 hours ago, wishIweretravelling said:

On my one previous outing on Explorer, I tried to decide which was my favorite steak tartare. I finally concluded that it was whichever one I was eating at the time.

Agree on the escargot. It's the Compass Rose one that I love. There was a French bistro near my former home that made its escargot the way Chartreuse does. They eventually changed it to something more akin to Compass Rose's because people didn't care for it. I was told by the owner that the original was more "authentic" but by one of the waiters that the differences were regional. I forget which part of France favors which style.

Very few people in France (or French speaking Switzerland for that matter) eat escargot anymore.  For some reason they are still popular in the US.  Mais pas en France!      And while I love Boeuf Tartare I cannot imagine serving it with a sauce (looks like a cream sauce too) AND caviar.   YUCK!