Sideways Interior Cabins

MsSoCalCruiser

We tried out a sideways interior for a short "add-on" cruise this year. We were surprised how much we liked the layout. It was much roomier than the Plaza deck OV we just had on Emerald. Much roomier! I would rather have a sideways inside than the OV we just sailed in for 14 days. It was unobstructed but an "odd" cabin.

• Like 1

On ‎11‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 9:49 AM, 4cats4me said:

What about light seepage from the main hallway into the cabin? Is it a problem? i am really light sensitive (migraine)-  and always notice the amount of light leaking in from underneath the door and/or around the door frame itself when I get up in the middle of the night.  I don’t even like that little red dot light on the tv that goes on when you turn it off.  

I've never noticed any light seepage from under the door but I suppose you could put a towel there.  They're  also much bigger that a regular inside stateroom witch for me is a plus.  Yes your bed is right their when the door is opened.

Tom

On ‎11‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 9:49 AM, 4cats4me said:

• 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
20 minutes ago, fredcq said:

Does anyone have additional pictures of the interior side on cabins on the Royal class ships?

I’m sorry but I’m not sure what you’re asking. The photos that I shared show the entire room by the beds/desk/door. Are you talking about the little space in front of the bathroom?

We booked an inside sideways cabin on one of our cruises and enjoyed the extra space very much.  Since it was an inside cabin, we opted to have the beds separated into two twins -- this was a drawback for me as we had teens next door that would slam the door hard and my bead would shake quite a bit.  Lesson learned -- we have booked an inside sideways cabin again for an upcoming cruise but this time we will put the beds together as a queen. 

• Like 1

I have been in a sideways stateroom before & yes they are much roomer. 

It’s been my 1st choice for an inside stateroom. 

Be aware that when you open the stateroom door your bed is right there to the side of the door. 

Tom😀

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, MsSoCalCruiser said:

I’m sorry but I’m not sure what you’re asking. The photos that I shared show the entire room by the beds/desk/door. Are you talking about the little space in front of the bathroom?

Sorry I was looking for additional pictures over and above what you posted that anyone might have of the inside of the sideways inside cabins on Regal Princess.  But I found some videos on YouTube so I saw what I needed.

That said, can anyone confirm that there are or are not power outlets at the sides of the beds in these sideways cabins? One video said there were none but I see lamps and need to know for a CPAP machine. I’d prefer not to use an extension cord if at all possible.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, trbarton said:

I have been in a sideways stateroom before & yes they are much roomer. 

It’s been my 1st choice for an inside stateroom. 

Be aware that when you open the stateroom door your bed is right there to the side of the door. 

Tom😀

BB8F6433-D7C2-41C0-86CA-DF55429AFCD9.jpeg

2 hours ago, fredcq said:

Sorry I was looking for additional pictures over and above what you posted that anyone might have of the inside of the sideways inside cabins on Regal Princess.  But I found some videos on YouTube so I saw what I needed.

That said, can anyone confirm that there are or are not power outlets at the sides of the beds in these sideways cabins? One video said there were none but I see lamps and need to know for a CPAP machine. I’d prefer not to use an extension cord if at all possible.

There are no outlets at the sides of the beds in any cabin. The outlets are at the desk area. Ask your state room steward for an extension cord.

47 minutes ago, MsSoCalCruiser said:

There are no outlets at the sides of the beds in any cabin. The outlets are at the desk area. Ask your state room steward for an extension cord.

In this configuration the electrical outlets are probably behind the bed side tables or the head of the beds.

6CF905BA-97B3-4477-B5A6-8271C57012B3.jpeg.bdfb75c499a1ac20cfa756527ffcb9a1.jpeg

Edited by brisalta

2 hours ago, MsSoCalCruiser said:

Then why do they always hand out extension cords if there are outlets by the beds? So confusing.

Don’t be confused. Note the use of the word “probably” by the previous poster. Hardly confidence inspiring. 
Your statement earlier about contacting the room steward is spot on!

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, fredcq said:

Sorry I was looking for additional pictures over and above what you posted that anyone might have of the inside of the sideways inside cabins on Regal Princess.  But I found some videos on YouTube so I saw what 

Can you point me in the direction of you tube videos? I'd love to see it. We'll have our 1st sideways in Nov. on the Regal. Thanks!

10 hours ago, MsSoCalCruiser said:

Then why do they always hand out extension cords if there are outlets by the beds? So confusing.

The wire going from the right side night table behind the bed leads me to believe an outlet exists - HOWEVER it might not be a 3 prong some might need and the one by the desk/other area in the cabin is. 

Despite the space and layout advantages of a sideways inside, I didn't like the decreased privacy and increased noise on my last Majestic cruise. The bed is closer to the door than regular insides, so slamming doors, steward activity, and people talking disturbed me much more than when the bed is farther away from the door, especially since in a regular inside it's possible to sleep on a side where there's not a direct sound line to the hallway. The sideways rooms were also in the middle of the ship, in the middle of a hallway, so the steward parked a cart right outside my door for much of the morning, and I could hear her constantly, which felt intrusive. 

1 hour ago, rj59 said:

Despite the space and layout advantages of a sideways inside, I didn't like the decreased privacy and increased noise on my last Majestic cruise. The bed is closer to the door than regular insides, so slamming doors, steward activity, and people talking disturbed me much more than when the bed is farther away from the door, especially since in a regular inside it's possible to sleep on a side where there's not a direct sound line to the hallway. The sideways rooms were also in the middle of the ship, in the middle of a hallway, so the steward parked a cart right outside my door for much of the morning, and I could hear her constantly, which felt intrusive. 

Fortunately we’ve never had any issues with noise while we were in a sideways cabin. I would have asked to have the cart moved.  A cart with dirty items is not something that I want in front of my door. I’ve asked to have one moved before.

On 11/5/2019 at 10:37 AM, metairiegal said:

I am not a fan of the sideways cabins.  We booked one on the Regal after reading such great reviews of them, but we did not care for it at all.  Never again.  Instead of having space when you enter and go in, like with a regular inside cabin, you open the door and bam! there are the beds.  Did not feel like there was more space at all.  You couldn't have the dresser drawer pulled out and open, if someone was entering the cabin at the same time.  And, from what I can remember, there was an issue with the bathroom door not opening properly or all the way (can't remember which) due to such a tiny space in front of the closet. 

You posted three of the reasons we had problems with the sideways inside.  The drawer had to be pulled out to use the hairdryer because when we went on this class ship the hairdryer was plugged in to the interior of that drawer.  Effectively you couldn't open the door to the cabin.  And yes the beds were in full sight of the hallway when the door was opened to the hallway.  We found we couldn't get into cabinetry to the safe, etc. with the bathroom door opening and closing.  Very tight space.  And we hang up a lot of clothes and there wasn't enough hanging space for our tastes.  I prefer the large closets with the hallway on the older ships.  Oh yes, and there was no mirror in front of you when hair drying.  You couldn't reach the desk mirror with the short hairdryer plug and the full length mirror was 9' away.  There's probably a couple square feet of floor space though.

On 3/10/2022 at 6:22 PM, fredcq said:

We had one of these cabins in the Enchanted and had it set up as a Queen bed. We LOVE these cabins as they are a lot bigger and have more room on each side if the bed (Just make sure it doesn't have bunk beds hanging from the wall). We both use a CPAP and there are no outlets unless you unplug the lamps and it is a European outlet. We just bite the bullet and use an extension cord and plug it in at the desk area each night. We put ours under the bed, so it is out of sight. The newer ships do have a Usb port on the lamp for charging your phone. Hope this helps!

Edited by GweninTX
  • Like 2