Back from Golden Princess few comments

On 11/4/2019 at 7:37 PM, MicCanberra said:

I would like to know where you can get two tickets to the theatre (best available seats) for only $222, more like one ticket and a drink..

Theatres I visit in Sydney would be less cost than this.  My daughter saw Fangirls, a hit Australian musical, at Belvoir on Monday for about $80. 

Ballet and Opera are more expensive than live theatre. 

When I was in London recently, my daughter bought me Rush Tickets for the theatre for 25 pounds on line in Sydney.  These are often excellent "house seats".

36 minutes ago, Sparky74 said:

Quick Question 

What sort of power points are on the ship?

We sail on the Golden Princess next week (our 18th cruise but first time with Princess) and I’m wondering if I need to pack adapters. 

USA power points Sparky, so yes you will need adapters.

Leigh

3 hours ago, Sparky74 said:

Quick Question 

What sort of power points are on the ship?

We sail on the Golden Princess next week (our 18th cruise but first time with Princess) and I’m wondering if I need to pack adapters. 

US lucky I remember to pack my us plug

What are the late night snack options and is there an additional cost?

On RCI we have enjoyed biscuits and hot chocolate before bed. Sometimes cake and cheesecake too!

We we’re disappointed with the offerings on P&O and ended up going grocery shopping while ashore. 

What’s the situation with Princess? I’d just rather be prepared. 

Oh, and another disappointment with P&O was the lack of ice cream without an additional charge. What is the ice cream availability  on Princess?

57 minutes ago, Sparky74 said:

What are the late night snack options and is there an additional cost?

On RCI we have enjoyed biscuits and hot chocolate before bed. Sometimes cake and cheesecake too!

We we’re disappointed with the offerings on P&O and ended up going grocery shopping while ashore. 

What’s the situation with Princess? I’d just rather be prepared. 

Oh, and another disappointment with P&O was the lack of ice cream without an additional charge. What is the ice cream availability  on Princess?

The International Cafe is open 24/7. All of the food, sweet and savoury, is included. Beverages cost extra there.

In the Horizon Court the hours vary.  It's open into the evening.

There's a complimentary soft ice cream bar on the Lido deck, not sure about open hours. Hard ice creams made in-house are on the menu in the main dining rooms every night.

6 hours ago, Adventures ahead said:

The International Cafe is open 24/7. All of the food, sweet and savoury, is included. Beverages cost extra there.

In the Horizon Court the hours vary.  It's open into the evening.

There's a complimentary soft ice cream bar on the Lido deck, not sure about open hours. Hard ice creams made in-house are on the menu in the main dining rooms every night.

Thanks for the info. 

We loved the pizza bar on the Lido deck and had it for lunch a couple of times when we just felt like a snack. Really good thin crust fresh pizzas.There's also a burger and hot dog bar. I think they all close at 11pm

On the last day I also discovered the soft serve bar had fantastic milkshakes with proper icecream for I think $2.50. Try paying that for a milkshake ashore. Hadn't bothered before thinking they were the usual thickshake which is all I've ever managed to get in America.

The coffee was not very good and I heard lots of people complaining about it. We Aussies are serious about our coffee.

Were only available at the International cafe and they were totally overwhelmed in the tiny space.

Special orders rarely turned out as ordered. It got just lost in the queue.

1 hour ago, denny girl said:

The coffee was not very good and I heard lots of people complaining about it. We Aussies are serious about our coffee.

Were only available at the International cafe and they were totally overwhelmed in the tiny space.

We were able to buy coffees at the Calypso Bar on deck 14, just near the Horizon Court. We rarely had to wait very long for our orders and they were also available at the Promenade Bar. We love our coffee too and didn't find the lattes too bad at all. We ended up not even bothering to go to the International Cafe.

Leigh

2 hours ago, denny girl said:

We loved the pizza bar on the Lido deck and had it for lunch a couple of times when we just felt like a snack. Really good thin crust fresh pizzas.There's also a burger and hot dog bar. I think they all close at 11pm

On the last day I also discovered the soft serve bar had fantastic milkshakes with proper icecream for I think $2.50. Try paying that for a milkshake ashore. Hadn't bothered before thinking they were the usual thickshake which is all I've ever managed to get in America.

Thanks. DW never drinks coffee although I enjoyed an occasional flat white. We will definitely indulge in the milkshakes though, especially at that price. 

1 hour ago, possum52 said:

We were able to buy coffees at the Calypso Bar on deck 14, just near the Horizon Court. We rarely had to wait very long for our orders and they were also available at the Promenade Bar. We love our coffee too and didn't find the lattes too bad at all. We ended up not even bothering to go to the International Cafe.

Leigh

We are not great coffee drinkers. Indeed DW never touches the stuff. 

We don’t usually have “supper” at home but hot chocolate and biscuits have become a nightly cruise routine. 

On 11/6/2019 at 12:13 AM, The_Big_M said:

Interesting. The cruise before was stacked with blacks. Though probably cause it went between the two major cities, and was over the weekend.

I assume you mean 'black cards'? People might find your post a bit odd-sounding. I did.

Edited by LittleFish1976
improved clarity of meaning

2 hours ago, possum52 said:

Leigh

Good to know Leigh. We were just on the 5 day from Melbourne so didn't bother to do too much checking like we would on a longer cruise. The internation cafe was always really busy with a long queue for the coffee part. Finding a seat was also awkward as it's a popular spot to just hang out. We're used to HAL where it's also available at the bars.

I'm not the coffee connoisseur  in the family.  After ordering a pay coffee for dinner that came in a huge cup hubby tried various options trying to get double coffee or less water but nothing worked. He just got smaller weaker cups.

I'm happy with homebrand rubbish so I didn't care.

Does the ship have a library? I know these are getting few and far between these days but maybe Princess has retained this tradition?!?

If not I might have to hit the op shops in Adelaide for some 2nd hand novels to read.

43 minutes ago, Sparky74 said:

Does the ship have a library? I know these are getting few and far between these days but maybe Princess has retained this tradition?!?

If not I might have to hit the op shops in Adelaide for some 2nd hand novels to read.

Yes there is Sparky, if I remember it is near the entrance to the dining room on deck 5 on starboard. As I load my kindle before leaving home, I had no need to use it so not sure what it is like.

Leigh

Edited by possum52

3 hours ago, denny girl said:

I picked up books from the library.

Not a huge range and you just take and return them when you're

finished.

Looked like lots that had been left by past passengers

That's what I found when using the libraries in the past. I even have left a couple of books on earlier cruises.

Leigh