Iceland Shore Excursions

Obie5400

We are booked on a Celebrity cruise from Dublin next August with scheduled ports in Reykjavik and Akureyri. I typically avoid the ship tours primarily due to size and the slow pace. I am looking for suggestions for reliable private tour operators in either or both of these ports that would offer alternatives for getting to see as much as possible at these locations. Thanks.

There are a couple of great Iceland threads a bit further down the board.

Tons of operators in Reykjavik, not as many in Akureyri as it's a pretty small town.  Tour companies are generally excellent in Iceland, but you should always book direct when possible.  Do not use resellers like Viator, etc.

Iceland is easy to do on your own with a rental car.

If you have ideas as to what you want to see we can help with how best to get there.

We used SAGA, which were our 1st choice and I highly recommend, but they tend to sold out quickly....

Second best were FAB.

We had 2 days in each port, so we used 2 tours with SAGA and 2 with FAB in order to take advantage of the "2 tours discount". Iceland is pricey.

We were lucky with our times in port.... Sadly, this year's cruises have less time in port.

I can't say enough good things about GeoIceland, which operates out of Reykjavik. Our South Coast Tour with them in Sept. 2018 was one of the best tours we've ever done; the driver/guide was fabulous.   GeoIceland was easy to deal with in setting things up.  And, when our ship had a last minute one-day delay because of weather, GeoIceland quickly slid everything back a day.    (Folks on our Roll Call who did the Golden Circle Tour with them also loved it.)  BTW, they are partnered with Saga in the north, so I'd be looking at Saga in Akureyri (although I can't speak to that directly), and would try to book a classic "Lake Myvatn" tour.   (We did that tour with another operator; it's a fabulous day out of Akureyri.)

Just a heads-up to a previous Iceland thread.

https://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/topic/2689761-isafjordur-horse-tour-with-fosshestar-beware-cancel-policy/?tab=comments#comment-58247292

I leave you to draw your own conclusions about who was right & who was wrong (my own conclusions are in my reply in that thread :classic_wink:)

But it's worth being aware that because of the weather Icelandic ports are missed more often than other parts of the world, that many Icelandic tours are designed primarily for folk vacationing in the area, and that you should check the reliability of the ports and the refund terms of the tour operators.

JB :classic_smile:

• 3 weeks later...

We had an overnight in Reykjavik , rented a car ahead of time, & picked it up literally steps from the ship (Celebrity Reflection)  believe that the operator was Europcar.  Day 1 we drove the Golden Circle, & managed to avoid all the giant tour buses.  Day 2 we headed to Blue Lagoon rather early as we'd reserved a package there.    I wouldn't hesitate to self drive again.   

Akureyri we booked with Saga.   Wonderful tour day, & we had a few hours to explore the town & church on our own at the end of day.   

Iceland is an awesome country best done as a land vacation. Car rental is easy, roads are good, along as you stay on the tourist roads, and dedicate a driver and a photographer. Many vehicle accidents by tourists yearly.

Saga is a good tour company, so if weather is horrid, you won't have to drive.

Recommend: Gullfoss, Dettifoss, Selfoss, Askja, Myvatan, Strokkur, Jolkulsarlon, Akureyri (lovely town), Reykjavik is beautiful, and a must.... stop at an N1 gas station and have a hot dog...... seriously!