Chef's Table & Shoes for Ladies

Luke Saint Joe

I've got reservations for the Chef's Table and am asking about the open-toed shoe requirement for ladies. I didn't plan to bring anything other than sandals; nothing closed. Is this a policy for food safety/hygiene? I wanted to wear a dress, but I guess I can wear slacks and flats if I must.

1 hour ago, Luke Saint Joe said:

I've got reservations for the Chef's Table and am asking about the open-toed shoe requirement for ladies. I didn't plan to bring anything other than sandals; nothing closed. Is this a policy for food safety/hygiene? I wanted to wear a dress, but I guess I can wear slacks and flats if I must.

You can wear flats with a dress. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, sprint180 said:

If they ask you to wear close toed shoes, I'm sure they want you to wear close toed shoes.

That would be a problem for me, as well. I do not own any dressy closed toe shoes that I wear on cruises. They are all open toed sandals. I suppose I could bring my casual loafers, but they may look silly with a dress. Lol! 

5 hours ago, sprint180 said:

If they ask you to wear close toed shoes, I'm sure they want you to wear close toed shoes.

My wife only closed toed shoes are her sneakers. She wore nice sandals both times, no questions asked. They do not ask they actually suggest, not an issue. As others have said, heels my be problematic 

In another thread about chef's table there is a post with the info from Carnival.  It states that open toed, heels, and shoes with slippery soles are discouraged.  To me it suggests that the concern is safety more than hygiene, so if the sandals aren't slippery you should be fine.  

The concern is safety.

You go on a tour of the galley during dinner service.  Depending on the route and the layout of the specific galley you may be walking between 2 passes with waiters lined up carrying the huge trays of food for their sections.  They want to avoid the possible ramifications of something being spilled on your feet or you getting stepped on.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, amyotravel said:

Totally agree with the ballet flats. Sooo easy to pack and will make for comfy time at dinner. So, yeah +1 to that!

I invested in a cute silver sparkle pair of ballet shoes. I literally bounce in them becasue they are so comforatable. I wear them all the time and get so many compliments on them. My heels may look nice but those flats do too and are so much more comfy and easy to pack!

• Like 1

Just now, ricew001 said:

I invested in a cute silver sparkle pair of ballet shoes. I literally bounce in them becasue they are so comforatable. I wear them all the time and get so many compliments on them. My heels may look nice but those flats do too and are so much more comfy and easy to pack!

Love it! Got a pic? 😉

2 hours ago, ricew001 said:

Anne Klein Sport Insure Ballet Flat Silver Glitter Fabric Women,Clearance Sale,Colorful And Fashion-Forward,Classic Styles

It's Anne Klein. I work on a college campus and wear them at work a lot too and every single time I wear them 

i get compliments!

• Like 2

On 11/7/2019 at 3:25 PM, grandmarnnurse said:

That would be a problem for me, as well. I do not own any dressy closed toe shoes that I wear on cruises. They are all open toed sandals. I suppose I could bring my casual loafers, but they may look silly with a dress. Lol! 

Walmart and other inexpensive stores have flat pump type shoes for very little.

8 hours ago, beachbum53 said:

If all fails, skip the galley tour. 

5 hours ago, coevan said:

if what fails? 

(I meant to say, "If all else fails..." )If you don't have the proper footwear required, skip the galley tour. The ship's galley is pretty much like any large commercial kitchen/cooking area. Really not that big of a deal if you don't get to see it.

2 hours ago, beachbum53 said:

(I meant to say, "If all else fails..." )If you don't have the proper footwear required, skip the galley tour. The ship's galley is pretty much like any large commercial kitchen/cooking area. Really not that big of a deal if you don't get to see it.

Except that's where the appetizers are served.

I have done the Chef's table several times.  Sandals are just fine.

Relax and enjoy!