Galveston with Royal Caribbean

hondo1717

Good Morning Fellow Cruisers..

We have a question for those who have cruised out of Galveston, TX on Royal Caribbean..  It concerns disembarkation day. Would anyone know that if we had a flight departing at 1200 from IAH (George Bush Airport), we would be able to make it with booking transportation other then from RCL.. We understand its about an hour and half drive. The question would relate to the time we can get off the ship. Anyone have any experience with this type of thing? Also, anyone know of a reliable company that provides this type of transportation.  The other thing is that day of disembarkation is on a Monday.

Thank you Very Much in advance..

We did a 2pm flight and would have made a noon flight but everything went perfectly. There is a bridge you have to cross and I have heard if there is an accident you could be delayed hours. Also depending on the time of year fog can be an issue. Once we had no fog the second time we did. We made it in just before the fog but then driving the bridge was a bit slow.

Yes, I heard the traffic could be a nightmare.  The only reason we are considering this, is because RCL has a shuttle to IAH, but the flight can be no earlier then 12:30, ours would be at 12:00. So, in our thinking its only a half hour difference. If RCL can make a 12:30, a private one should be able to make 12:00.

Thank You 

55 minutes ago, Tulsacoker said:

If it was on Sunday no problem , Monday questionable there are Turnpikes that go around houston to IAH with much less traffic

The toll roads in many areas are Easy Tag only.  Check with Harris County Toll Road Authority which areas accept cash.

Honestly, it is not the time it takes to get to the airport, but weather conditions that could possibly delay the ship.  Our fog days are few and the pilots now bring ships to dock in fog conditions but it only takes once for someone to experience a delay.

Living in Galveston we have always made it to IAH in less than 90 minutes no matter the time or day.  But we know where we are going and which areas will be congested.

Just now, hondo1717 said:

Thank You,  It will be on a Monday.. I guess my biggest question is: How can RCI say a flight at 12:30 is ok for their shuttle, but 12:00 is not... Is it really that big of a difference (30 minutes)...

is there any chance you can fly out of Hobby? Hobby is definitely doable at noon (baring something unexpected  )

I am going to agree with that others that have said if this was a Sunday, you wouldn't have any problem making the flight. On a Monday, however, not so much. If you can find transportation that is willing to take Beltway 8 (toll road), you would have a better chance of making the flight, but they may not be willing to incur the additional cost. Otherwise, they need to take 45 in to at least the 610 loop and take that around the city to either 59 or 45 though you are sure to encounter a lot of traffic on that route as well.

1 minute ago, hondo1717 said:

Thank You,  It will be on a Monday.. I guess my biggest question is: How can RCI say a flight at 12:30 is ok for their shuttle, but 12:00 is not... Is it really that big of a difference (30 minutes)...

probably not much difference... guess boils down if you are ok if some how you miss that flight. Im sure there are others (non direct) heading to your destination later in the afternoon. 

All cruise lines determine a "no flights before xx:xx" time clock when booking their airport coach transfers. It is standard industry practice, based on historical past performance in any given disembarkation port with any specific ship. RCI has apparently determined it is less risk to mandate a "no flight earlier than 12:30pm" policy from Galveston than to risk missed flights based on earlier departures. Keep in mind, there may also be congestion at the IAH check-in counters and through TSA security. One needs to be in the airport a minimum of 60-90 minutes prior to flight.

That said, barring any unusual circumstances (i.e. floods, major wrecks, other unforeseen acts-of-nature), assuming one can disembark as early as possible, one should be able to commute to IAH and be at the terminal by 11:00am. As others have also noted, if it were us traveling, we would probably opt for a slightly later flight in the afternoon, if at all possible, just to reduce stress level on homeward travel day.

• Like 1

The OP's inquiry has been mostly answered, they have given their thanks, so now this thread is closed.

Happy sails to all,

Host Kat emo32.gif