Packing, UGH!

Csmommy1

We brought 3 suitcases, a suiter, and two backpacks on our first cruise. 
Text time it will be 1 suitcase each + a suiter. 

For me for an 7nt Caribbean cruise: 
2 Swimsuits (Suitcase)
3 casual/nice shorts (Suitcase)
2 pair nice pants (mix/match nightly) (Suiter)
7 nice button down shirts (dinner nightly) (Suiter)
4 nice short sleeve shirts (polo/button down) (Suitcase)
6 T-shirts (Suitcase)
8 pair boxer briefs (suitcase)
7 pair dress socks (for dinner/evening only)
1 pair each shoes (dress/casual/flops) (Suitcase)

Backpack: Electronics (Chargers/etc), toiletries, travel docs, change of shirt &  swim-trunks

- Suitcases fit neatly under the bed.

- Drawers held most stuff

- Closet held hanging stuff nicely (use cheap metal wire hangers for shirts in suiter so you have extra hangers in the room). 
- Metal Magnetic Hooks worked for hanging travel clothesline, hanging shirts in bathroom while showering to de-wrinkle, hanging attire in room while getting ready, etc. 

Edited by Icon901
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Icon901 said:

We brought 3 suitcases, a suiter, and two backpacks on our first cruise. 
Text time it will be 1 suitcase each + a suiter. 

For me for an 7nt Caribbean cruise: 
2 Swimsuits (Suitcase)
3 casual/nice shorts (Suitcase)
2 pair nice pants (mix/match nightly) (Suiter)
7 nice button down shirts (dinner nightly) (Suiter)
4 nice short sleeve shirts (polo/button down) (Suitcase)
6 T-shirts (Suitcase)
8 pair boxer briefs (suitcase)
7 pair dress socks (for dinner/evening only)
1 pair each shoes (dress/casual/flops) (Suitcase)

Backpack: Electronics (Chargers/etc), toiletries, travel docs, change of shirt &  swim-trunks

- Suitcases fit neatly under the bed.

- Drawers held most stuff

- Closet held hanging stuff nicely (use cheap metal wire hangers for shirts in suiter so you have extra hangers in the room). 
- Metal Magnetic Hooks worked for hanging travel clothesline, hanging shirts in bathroom while showering to de-wrinkle, hanging attire in room while getting ready, etc. 

IMO - you're overpacking.

For 7 days w/self serve laundry for multiples of 7-10 days:

one pair zip/convertible hike pants (long/short)

one pair khaki slacks w/belt

one pair deck shoes

one pair water shoes

3 short sleeve polo shirts

3 button down shirts

4 tee shirts

1 swim trunks

8 underwear briefs

5 dark casual socks

3 white casual sock

1 iphone + charger

toiletries & meds

passport + travel docs

Sunglasses + hat

1 windbreaker/light jacket 

5 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Bob and I both wear things multiple times.  Well, maybe not 'panties.' 🙂 And a tiny bit of wiggle room in case we dribble red wine.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, clo said:

Bob and I both wear things multiple times.  Well, maybe not 'panties.' 🙂 And a tiny bit of wiggle room in case we dribble red wine.

My plan is to follow your example on our upcoming cruise re wearing items multiple times.However,I am not sure that Mrs.66 will do so.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

My plan is to follow your example on our upcoming cruise re wearing items multiple times.However,I am not sure that Mrs.66 will do so.

Ya know, buddy, we do this at home. We went out to lunch yesterday and today and I wore the exact same pants, top and shoes. And will continue to over the next period of time. I've said this before here and elsewhere but about 30 years ago I played a little game with myself and tried to remember what any co-worker had worn the day before...and I couldn't. That was a lesson well learned.  Also most of my clothes are solid colors so they don't really stand out. Another three cents from me 🙂

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, clo said:

Ya know, buddy, we do this at home. We went out to lunch yesterday and today and I wore the exact same pants, top and shoes. And will continue to over the next period of time. I've said this before here and elsewhere but about 30 years ago I played a little game with myself and tried to remember what any co-worker had worn the day before...and I couldn't. That was a lesson well learned.  Also most of my clothes are solid colors so they don't really stand out. Another three cents from me 🙂

In the cold NY weather I tend to wear flannel shirts two or three times before washing them.

• Like 3

Our rule of thumb is FOUR days for trousers, two days for shirts. Barring spills! If trousers or leggings bag out faster than that, they don't belong in the suitcase! Dr'spin wears mostly synthetics that don't absorb odors (for travel), and I sometimes have to force him not to wear a shirt a third time!

My experience with humid/tropical conditions is -- the above rule is null and void. Things especially tops get "sweat up" in one day (or less). Fortunately gauze and other thin tops take up less space so I can take a few more of them and still maintain carry-on-only luggage. Or at least I hope so -- we shall see with a 28-day So.Pacific cruise and a 3-week So.Caribbean cruise booked!

Lenny, in cold NY weather (which I grew up in) -- you probably have at least one layer between you and the flannel!

On 11/18/2019 at 11:16 AM, nkuzy said:

We also found cabin class to be of almost no value to us personally as the only time we were spending in the cabin was when we were sleeping, changing or showering. 

So far, I have only sailed in full suites.  So there is plenty of room, and while we don't spend the majority of our time in the room (or on the balcony), we spend more time than those in inside cabins, just because it is not a bad place to be.

17 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

For 7 days w/self serve laundry for multiples of 7-10 days:

Respect! I just like having a fresh dress shirt for dinner each night, but I agree it's not necessary. I can't bring myself to wear a Polo to dinner. Purely preference, I agree. 🙂 

In the Caribbean I sweat a good bit (active + Big guy w/ boston blood) so re-using cotton/poly T shirts isn't an option. Performance fabric shirts hold up a little better. Others who aren't as active or in as atypically warm environment prob can get away with re-using Tees. 🙂

In cooler climates I'm definitely more efficient. Did 2 weeks (half business half pleasure) in Europe last November(Germany, Netherlands, UK, and Ireland) with a carry on suitcase and a backpack. 

Edited by Icon901

9 hours ago, crystalspin said:

Lenny, in cold NY weather (which I grew up in) -- you probably have at least one layer between you and the flannel!

This.

When we lived in Oregon the sign of a true native was wearing a plaid flannel shirt as a shirt and a different, heavier plaid flannel shirt as a jacket 🙂

Edited by clo
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, crystalspin said:

Our rule of thumb is FOUR days for trousers, two days for shirts. Barring spills! If trousers or leggings bag out faster than that, they don't belong in the suitcase! Dr'spin wears mostly synthetics that don't absorb odors (for travel), and I sometimes have to force him not to wear a shirt a third time!

My experience with humid/tropical conditions is -- the above rule is null and void. Things especially tops get "sweat up" in one day (or less). Fortunately gauze and other thin tops take up less space so I can take a few more of them and still maintain carry-on-only luggage. Or at least I hope so -- we shall see with a 28-day So.Pacific cruise and a 3-week So.Caribbean cruise booked!

I agree for women the really super thin synthetic shirts I had bought for summer wear took up less space for 6-7 shirts than one normal weight cotton T shirt. They look nice enough to wear in the evening to dinner and didn't wrinkle. I imagine although I didn't try it that they could easily be rinsed out in the sink and hung to dry and would actually dry in the ship cabin because they are so thin. It seems in tropical climate and inside the   ship bathing suits and heavier covers did  not dry overnight hanging so this is why 2 bathing suits and 2 suit covers. 

3 hours ago, SRF said:

3 hours ago, SRF said:

So far, I have only sailed in full suites.  So there is plenty of room, and while we don't spend the majority of our time in the room (or on the balcony), we spend more time than those in inside cabins, just because it is not a bad place to be.

I didn't think the inside cabin we had was "a bad place to be" in fact on the Norwegian ship recently renovated it was quite cute and tastefully decorated. I just didn't "need" more square footage because  all the other activities and the rest of the ship were the reason we chose to cruise.  We can certainly afford a suite,  my point was a suite or extra space in the room on board  has no value to us personally.  We  travel spontaneously at the last minute and in the run of the ship room for the most affordable price. This creates the opportunity to  cruise  more often to more destinations.  We are more interested in  excursions or Spa services than our cabin interior. For what it costs to upgrade to a balcony or ocean view one might get 2 massages on the ship or 4 off on an excursion in Mexico. Its all personal preference as to what "value" constitutes. ie we just went on 2 back to back cruises in inside cabins and cruised for ten days. We could have gone on one 5 day cruise in a suite with a balcony but "the value" to us was the 10 days of cruising and the destinations we visited. Similarly the all you can drink package has 0 value to us. We drink maybe 2 x a year Xmas and family gatherings. The idea of consuming an "unlimited amount"of booze while on vacation isn't even on our radar.  

• Like 2

10 hours ago, nkuzy said:

I agree for women the really super thin synthetic shirts I had bought for summer wear took up less space for 6-7 shirts than one normal weight cotton T shirt. They look nice enough to wear in the evening to dinner and didn't wrinkle. I imagine although I didn't try it that they could easily be rinsed out in the sink and hung to dry and would actually dry in the ship cabin because they are so thin. It seems in tropical climate and inside the   ship bathing suits and heavier covers did  not dry overnight hanging so this is why 2 bathing suits and 2 suit covers. 

Yes, I am in like with some wicking shirts I got for summer/tropical sun protection! Long-sleeved in bright colors. Then I found some short-sleeved in deep/neutral colors & black. Then it occurred to me that wicking synthetic is seasonless -- it can be hot-weather by itself or an under-shirt in the cold! And they DO dry fast. 

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...