We’ll be cruising out of San Juan on the Freedom.. What’s the estimated taxi cost to pier?

pinkaboo

San Juan Tourism Area Fixed Taxi Rate Table

(per One-way Trip between Zones)

Taxi Turistico - Puerto Rico

ZONE 1 → San Juan International Airport

ZONE 2 → Isla Verde Hotels & Resorts

ZONE 3 → Condado, Miramar, Ocean Park – Hotels, Resorts, New San Juan Beaches

ZONE 4 → Old San Juan & Hotels, ALL Cruise Ship Piers, Puerta de Tierra

ZONE 5 → Puerto Rico Convention Center, Isla Grande Airport

San Juan Taxi Rates Table

San Juan Taxi Rates for Tourist Zones (flat rates only – luggage $1 per piece extra)

• Thanks 1

Unless you are going directly from the Airport.  I suggest taking an Uber, so much cheaper.  Uber cannot pick up at the airport though.  I was there in Sept.  Stayed at the Courtyard Miramar.  My Taxi to the hotel was 24.00 plus tip, my Uber was less than 10 with tip.  Uber can drop off at the airport.

Edited by Cruise2getaway
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Cruise2getaway said:

Unless you are going directly from the Airport.  I suggest taking an Uber, so much cheaper.  Uber cannot pick up at the airport though.  I was there in Sept.  Stayed at the Courtyard Miramar.  My Taxi to the hotel was 24.00 plus tip, my Uber was less than 10 with tip.  Uber can drop off at the airport.

Update on Uber in San Juan.  We can confirm that there is now Uber from the Luis Munoz International Airport.  We were told it started about 2 weeks before our arrival....we arrived October 26, 2019.  We are still sailing.

At the airport baggage claim, there was a sign on the wall pointing to the "Shareride".  We followed it and it took us UP to the ground floor.  There was a designated area (we exited at Terminal B) and an airport employee helping passengers who chose to use Uber.  Our Uber driver showed up in less than 2 minutes.

Note: We knew it would be a short ride because we stayed at Embassy Suites at the airport/Isla Verde.

It took less than 10 minutes to get to the hotel...cost $9, including tip. It's not much less than a taxi but we wanted to see if Uber actually picked up FROM the airport....now we can confirm it does.

From Embassy Suites, we again used Uber.  Again, it only took a couple of minutes when our driver showed up.  From the hotel to the Pan American Pier, it took us approximately 15 minutes without traffic...cost was $7.  Note: There is currently no designated "drop-off/pick-up" area at the Pan American Pier.  We were dropped off at the parking lot, just across the street from the terminal. We'll be using Uber this weekend and report back where they will pick us up at the Pan American Pier.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just back on the 9th from a San Juan cruise. Taxis prices with 3 bags and before tip were:

Airport to Sheraton old San Juan $27 

Sherton to port $17 

Port to airport $24 

Note - if you don’t use self assist debarkation, when you get to the luggage section get a porter to help with your luggage even if you could handle it on your own. They get you into a very short line for customs and take you directly to a taxi. It’s a little confusing to find the taxi line and the other custom lines were very long so it was well worth a small tip. 

1 hour ago, ILUVPOMS said:

...Note - if you don’t use self assist debarkation, when you get to the luggage section get a porter to help with your luggage even if you could handle it on your own. They get you into a very short line for customs and take you directly to a taxi. It’s a little confusing to find the taxi line and the other custom lines were very long so it was well worth a small tip. 

Agree. 

On 11/14/2019 at 2:22 PM, ILUVPOMS said:

Just back on the 9th from a San Juan cruise. Taxis prices with 3 bags and before tip were:

Airport to Sheraton old San Juan $27 

Sherton to port $17 

Port to airport $24 

I hope you didn't tip those drivers a large amount as they over charge you according to the San Juan fixed taxi flat rate schedule found above and else where online.

Maybe they had already added their 20% tip.

I've had this happen with taxis at cruise ports and the drivers have always backed down when confronted with what the correct fare should be.

8 minutes ago, robtulipe said:

I hope you didn't tip those drivers a large amount as they over charge you according to the San Juan fixed taxi flat rate schedule found above and else where online.

Maybe they had already added their 20% tip.

I've had this happen with taxis at cruise ports and the drivers have always backed down when confronted with what the correct fare should be.

Another reason to use Uber

• Like 1

Yes, we did add tips to the amount listed above. We never saw any flat rate schedule posted and thought we were in the “official” taxi lines.  Just goes to show how important it is to research before you go. They quoted the amount before we got in the taxi and it seemed to be a case if accept it or get out of line. 

25 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

Another reason to use Uber

Yes, I agree.

I had one taxi driver in Southampton, UK  who tried to distract us when leaving the port area by pointing out the hotel  where he said the Titanic ship passengers stayed at the night before boarding on that ill fated Atlantic crossing. With my good peripheral vision I saw him reach under his dashboard and the fare meter immediately increased by at least 8 GBP.  When we got to our hotel he lowered the fare by that amount as I questioned the too high fare showing. He knew I had seen what he had done.

He also got no extra as a tip from us. I should have reported him to the police but didn't as we were leaving on an early train the next morning.

This was pre-Uber.

Edited by robtulipe

24 minutes ago, ILUVPOMS said:

Yes, we did add tips to the amount listed above. We never saw any flat rate schedule posted and thought we were in the “official” taxi lines.  Just goes to show how important it is to research before you go. They quoted the amount before we got in the taxi and it seemed to be a case if accept it or get out of line. 

Below is a link to a web site we've used to get an estimate of the  fare for taxi trips we needed to do in cities around the world.

https://www.worldtaximeter.com/

Edited by robtulipe

Taxis are OK, but you should be aware you could get a congestion surcharge if they have to wait in traffic.  UBER and Lyft may do the same.

The last time we were in San Juan UBER and Lyft were not allowed pier access and had a significant walk. Sounds like that has changed, for the better.

We can't say enough good things about Uber.  We are still cruising on the Freedom and have used Uber during turn-around days.  They show up within minutes, we know the color of the vehicle, the plate number, and the name of the driver....and no money changing hands...payments all done/completed online.

Last week, we decided to take Uber to Casa Bacardi...the Uber driver picked us up directly across the street, in the parking lot, of the Pan American Pier.  Cost to Casa Bacardi was $10...cost going back was $12.

Note: We asked a cab waiting at Casa Bacardi how much he would charge to take us back to the Pan American cruise terminal...he said $42...................Uber for us.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, bonsai3s said:

We can't say enough good things about Uber.  We are still cruising on the Freedom and have used Uber during turn-around days.  They show up within minutes, we know the color of the vehicle, the plate number, and the name of the driver....and no money changing hands...payments all done/completed online.

Last week, we decided to take Uber to Casa Bacardi...the Uber driver picked us up directly across the street, in the parking lot, of the Pan American Pier.  Cost to Casa Bacardi was $10...cost going back was $12.

Note: We asked a cab waiting at Casa Bacardi how much he would charge to take us back to the Pan American cruise terminal...he said $42...................Uber for us.

Thanks for reporting back.  I am hoping to get good use of it next week.  We are staying Thursday night at The Embassy Suites by the airport then Sheraton Old San Juan for 2 nights.  I see 4-5 Uber rides in my future and I am glad to hear to it is working well and reasonably priced.

20 hours ago, Canadian Disney Mom said:

Thanks for reporting back.  I am hoping to get good use of it next week.  We are staying Thursday night at The Embassy Suites by the airport then Sheraton Old San Juan for 2 nights.  I see 4-5 Uber rides in my future and I am glad to hear to it is working well and reasonably priced.

You are welcome.  As we stated on our other post, we also stayed at Embassy Suites and used Uber from the airport.  We were informed by airport employees that Uber only started two weeks prior to our arrival at Luis Munoz International Airport. Embassy Suites is only a couple of minutes away from the the airport (and the cost was not much less than a regular taxi) but we wanted to test and confirm if Uber actually worked FROM the airport.  There are now designated "Rideshare" areas immediately outside the terminals. (We exited Terminal B and there was an airport employee there assisting passengers wanting to use Uber.) 

Note: I may be a few cents off, but if I remember correctly, our cost from the airport to Embassy Suites was $9 including tip...cost from Embassy Suites to the Pan American Pier was $7...took approximately 15 minutes, without traffic.

Happy Sailing!

• 1 month later...

We stayed at the Sheraton Convention Center and got a cab in front of the hotel to the pier. It was $15 from our hotel to the pier, including the 3 suitcases and 3 carry-on bags we had. We also took one of these cabs from the airport to the hotel and it was $15-$20 as well. Our cab drivers explained that Uber is trying to get in on the action in Puerto Rico but they are hoping people still take their cabs. 

On 11/20/2019 at 11:59 AM, Canadian Disney Mom said:

Do cabs in San Juan take credit cards?  

We were on Freedom the week before Christmas and our taxis from airport to hotel and then hotel to pier did not take credit cards.  You’ll need to check with the driver before the trip.