Ocean Medallion Questions - Part 2

LauraS

11 hours ago, CarolRoy said:

Forgot to mention that we do not an Iphone or other make.  We have one flip phone between us.  This suits are needs.

Thank you for taking the time to respond.  We both have flip phones also.  We don't text, would rather pick up the phone.  How do you get your picture to show?  Did you have your picture taken at the desk?  Did it take a long time to check in then? And were there a lot of people in the line without the medallion?  Thank you for your help.

7 hours ago, mellon1 said:

Thank you for taking the time to respond.  We both have flip phones also.  We don't text, would rather pick up the phone.  How do you get your picture to show?  Did you have your picture taken at the desk?  Did it take a long time to check in then? And were there a lot of people in the line without the medallion?  Thank you for your help.

They take your picture at the desk.  Check in was quick as we were platinum.  Did not see any lines for others.  Most people wore the medallion around their necks.  One cruiser said it looked like they were in a cult.  We don't text either.  I rather talk to our adult kids.  

39 minutes ago, CarolRoy said:

They take your picture at the desk.  Check in was quick as we were platinum.  Did not see any lines for others.  Most people wore the medallion around their necks.  One cruiser said it looked like they were in a cult.  We don't text either.  I rather talk to our adult kids.  

Thank you.  Here I thought I could have my husband go to the front desk and take care of getting cruise cards to use while I unpack, but looks like I will have to go too!

When we were on the Ruby last week it was noticed that the ship was well progressed in conversion to Medallion, with the readers already on the cabin doors, the small medallion readers at the bars (not used yet) and the screens everywhere.

There was an area on deck 7 that was closed off behind temporary walls when we boarded and I assumed, correctly, it was going to be the area where Medallion stuff was sold and the enquiries area. A few days before we disembarked the area was opened up and while not staffed the screens in that area were on and on them they had words like "Ocean Front" (or something like that) which I hadn't heard of previously. I have done a Medallion cruise on the Royal and was aware of Ocean Ready, Ocean Compass etc etc but this term was new to me.

Anyone know what this was about? It could have been just test screens but they were professionally done. I apologise if this has been raised before. 

I have been on three Medallian ships so far (Royal, Caribbean Princess, and Sky).Each cruise had a different process for boarding with and without Medallians. On the Royal didn't have  Medallian. In line checkin got it. I was concerned about my photo not being on. When we were scanned getting on the ship, the person didn't take our photo but was taking others. I asked and he said already on there and showed us. Mine was a photo taken the year before on the Royal(I guess somehow they save them).

Then on Caribbean Princess this summer , same thing, the photo was three years old taken on that ship. On the Sky, my photo was already on, and it was the old Caribbean Princess photo.

For the first time, I downloaded the Medallian appl a few days ago for a Royal Princess cruise coming up. Didn't scan a new photo but could have,the same old Caribbean photo was already on. I kept it.

The process to board for people with Medallians was totally different on the Sky Princess in Europe. If you had Medallian, you didn't go to any check in desks, just boarded (after security).

I don't use our phones once on board.So no ordering drinks etc.

The Medallian works just like a key card and to charge items on board. Why are people wanting a key card instead?I can understand if you have any implants.Is it a privacy issue?

1 hour ago, san diego sue said:

I have been on three Medallian ships so far (Royal, Caribbean Princess, and Sky).Each cruise had a different process for boarding with and without Medallians. On the Royal didn't have  Medallian. In line checkin got it. I was concerned about my photo not being on. When we were scanned getting on the ship, the person didn't take our photo but was taking others. I asked and he said already on there and showed us. Mine was a photo taken the year before on the Royal(I guess somehow they save them).

Then on Caribbean Princess this summer , same thing, the photo was three years old taken on that ship. On the Sky, my photo was already on, and it was the old Caribbean Princess photo.

For the first time, I downloaded the Medallian appl a few days ago for a Royal Princess cruise coming up. Didn't scan a new photo but could have,the same old Caribbean photo was already on. I kept it.

The process to board for people with Medallians was totally different on the Sky Princess in Europe. If you had Medallian, you didn't go to any check in desks, just boarded (after security).

The Medallian works just like a key card and to charge items on board. Why are people wanting a key card instead?I can understand if you have any implants.Is it a privacy issue?

first drink free with the medallion app … j/s

• Like 1

1 hour ago, san diego sue said:

Why are people wanting a key card instead?I can understand if you have any implants.Is it a privacy issue?

It can be.  Some people don't want computers tracking their every movement on board.  Some people don't want the EZ Pass or SunPass in their cars for the same reason.  I personally bought some RF blocking key pouches that I can keep the medallion in when on board.  So I can understand if someone wants to keep the medallion in their safe and just carry a legacy key card.

2 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

It can be.  Some people don't want computers tracking their every movement on board.  Some people don't want the EZ Pass or SunPass in their cars for the same reason.  I personally bought some RF blocking key pouches that I can keep the medallion in when on board.  So I can understand if someone wants to keep the medallion in their safe and just carry a legacy key card.

Do you think that there is someone sitting at  computers tracking all of us? What a waste of personnel that would be.May be great for parents to track their kids on board using the program with their cell phones.

Funny thing happened on our last cruise. Three times we had people change our lock batteries on cabin door. We didn't see anything wrong getting into cabin but each time they said their computer said our battery on cabin door was failing.

And one time my medallian failed to open door and was replaced.Key cards use to fail a lot too.

26 minutes ago, san diego sue said:

Do you think that there is someone sitting at  computers tracking all of us?

I never mentioned people sitting in front of monitors watching us.  If you think the Medallion system computers don't track each medallions activity and save that data, you may be in for a surprise someday...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Daniel A said:

I never mentioned people sitting in front of monitors watching us.  If you think the Medallion system computers don't track each medallions activity and save that data, you may be in for a surprise someday...

OK...they are watching you on your balcony!  I think it was PAM that put it out there how they could see everyone from the bridge! 😨

30 minutes ago, mellon1 said:

OK...they are watching you on your balcony!  I think it was PAM that put it out there how they could see everyone from the bridge! 😨

It's a personal choice whether you use a medallion or a card on board.  If you prefer a medallion enjoy it!  I don't think ridicule is really helpful though.  :classic_angry: 

• Like 1

I am sorry, but I have to laugh at those people who are afraid they are being tracked.  If you use the internet at all, then you will realize that you are always being tracked.  Every use the internet to research a new appliance?  Do you not get a dozen appliance ads immediately after?  Have you ever looked for information about a city, a hotel, your county's tax information. anything....?  If you are on the internet, you are being tracked.  Princess merely wants to know what services you use and where you spend your money.  Information they can also track with a card.  The medallion just tracks a little more efficiently and it does have some benefits for the cruiser. (ex.  ordering food/drink even if there is no waiter near by).

• Like 3

14 hours ago, voljeep said:

Why are people wanting a key card instead?

Not sure.  It seems that a card would be less obtrusive and easier to carry -- small and flat to fit in a wallet or something.  The medallions look a little dorky and cult-ish, so maybe that's the reason.  I'll use mine and see how it goes.  I'm all for technology if it's glitch free.  When/if it causes more headaches than it solves,  I'm over it.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, san diego sue said:

Do you think that there is someone sitting at  computers tracking all of us?

Of course not.  But that data can be available available forever, depending on how long Carnival chooses to keep it.  It can be subpoenaed in the future, which can be either good or bad.  (Does their locator function work if away from the ship?  I don't know.)

• Like 1

We left ours in teh safe after a few days they changed the sensors and told us they where not working . Then I thought  what would happen if I let it in the bathroom as there was a sensor in their.  We got back on the ship and found the medallion on the bed with a phone message to call down . They asked us please do not to leave them in the bath room any more.

Hello @Stevanb. We apologize for the challenge you had on your MedallionClass voyage.  Because what you've outlined here is inconsistent with the way our on board teams should address any device concerns, we'd like to learn more about your specific experience.  Would you mind contacting us directly at AskOceanMedallion@carnival.com so we could learn more?

14 hours ago, ecs66 said:

Not sure.  It seems that a card would be less obtrusive and easier to carry -- small and flat to fit in a wallet or something.  The medallions look a little dorky and cult-ish, so maybe that's the reason.  I'll use mine and see how it goes.  I'm all for

14 hours ago, ecs66 said:

Not sure.  It seems that a card would be less obtrusive and easier to carry -- small and flat to fit in a wallet or something.  The medallions look a little dorky and cult-ish, so maybe that's the reason.  I'll use mine and see how it goes.  I'm all for technology if it's glitch free.  When/if it causes more headaches than it solves,  I'm over it.

technology if it's glitch free.  When/if it causes more headaches than it solves,  I'm over it.

The medallion is also non-intrusive and easy to carry.  You can opt for the lanyard or simply put it in your pocket.  I opted fro the clip which I placed on the inside of my slacks or shorts.

51 minutes ago, jangor said:

The medallion is also non-intrusive and easy to carry.  You can opt for the lanyard or simply put it in your pocket.  I opted fro the clip which I placed on the inside of my slacks or shorts.

I used the watch band which was very convenient. I don't like lanyards so the watch band was great. We just finished a cruise on the Ruby that doesn't have the Medallion yet and having the cruise card in my pocket was less user friendly than the watch band option.

I don't cruise until January, but opted for the clip. I'm used to a badge clipped to my top at work, so I don't think it will be different. Hubby opted for the lanyard. I might have opted for the wrist band, but I wanted to see/feel it first. Plus, I wear a watch on one wrist and a FitBit on the other. . .

Anybody know if there is any where in the medallion apps to check on the status of when the medallions will arrive at our home? I know, from reading in the thread that it should be a few weeks prior to the sail date, but since it is Christmas time and the many delivery services are always running late, I would like to get a realistic date, when to expect them. I know if they don’t show up in time I can get them at boarding time, but I would like them prior to boarding.

Thanks

On 12/9/2019 at 1:08 PM, san diego sue said:

The more responses like yours the better we feel.  Thanks so much.  Merry Christmas!

• Like 1

On 12/9/2019 at 5:03 PM, Daniel A said:

It's a personal choice whether you use a medallion or a card on board.  If you prefer a medallion enjoy it!  I don't think ridicule is really helpful though.  :classic_angry: 

Wow, sorry if you took this as ridicule.  Relax, we just don't want to buy new phones and don't text at all.  Some people are not techies.  Hubby's phone goes off before we get on the plane and goes in the safe until after vacation.  As far as being able to see you on the balcony, we have had cameras right outside our balconies at times.  There was something here on CC that confirmed they can see everyone and the officers that came in our room to clean the cameras confirmed that.

21 hours ago, Stevanb said:

We left ours in teh safe after a few days they changed the sensors and told us they where not working . Then I thought  what would happen if I let it in the bathroom as there was a sensor in their.  We got back on the ship and found the medallion on the bed with a phone message to call down . They asked us please do not to leave them in the bath room any more.

So, I guess under the bed in the suitcase is not an option?  heehheh...just kidding.

15 hours ago, BIGADORF said:

Anybody know if there is any where in the medallion apps to check on the status of when the medallions will arrive at our home? I know, from reading in the thread that it should be a few weeks prior to the sail date, but since it is Christmas time and the many delivery services are always running late, I would like to get a realistic date, when to expect them. I know if they don’t show up in time I can get them at boarding time, but I would like them prior to boarding.

Thanks

We received our medallions this past Monday via FedEx for our 12/22 sailing. And received an email this afternoon letting me know that they had been shipped. So the 2 week prior timeframe appears to be accurate.